Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Netgear D6400  (Read 81843 times)

ip75

Netgear D6400
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »

This looks interesting: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/d6400.aspx

Not entirely certain which chipset it has but there's some evidence from Googling around that it's a BCM 63168. Price is £150 from Amazon (for example).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Netgear D6400
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »

Not entirely certain which chipset it has but there's some evidence from Googling around that it's a BCM 63168.

I, like you, found a hint that it uses the Broadcom 63168 chipset but nothing was definite. So I downloaded the source code for the initial firmware image (~674 MB) and took a look inside . . .

The D6400-V1.0.0.22_with_toolchain_src/D6400_GPL_Src/ directory contains the following --

Code: [Select]
[Duo2 D6400_GPL_Src]$ ls
bcmdrivers  hostTools  make.common    Makefile    prebuilt  release  targets    version.make
data-model  kernel     make.deprules  make.modsw  README    shared   userspace
[Duo2 D6400_GPL_Src]$

Note the directory bcmdrivers, which confirms Broadcom. Let's see what the README file contains --

[Duo2 D6400_GPL_Src]$ cat README
BCM963xx Consumer Release Notes

This release contains all of the files needed to build a BCM963xx DSL Router
image.  To build an image, enter:

# make PROFILE=<profile_name>

For example,

# make PROFILE=96368GW

The final image is located in the images subdirectory.  This image can be
specified in the BCM963xx Web interface image upgrade item in order to
upgrade the DSL router image.

[Duo2 D6400_GPL_Src]$

So now we know BCM963xx.

Performing a crude recursive grep of everything for a mention of 63168 returns --

[Duo2 D6400_GPL_Src]$ grep -R 63168 *
bcmdrivers/opensource/net/enet/impl5/eth_pwrmngt.c:          msleep(1); /* Without this, the speed LED on 63168 stays on */
bcmdrivers/opensource/net/xtmrt/impl5/xtmrt_runner.c: *    BCM63168 SAR.
bcmdrivers/opensource/char/board/bcm963xx/impl1/board.c:        /* Force BCM63168, BCM63169, and BCM63269 to be BCM63268) */
bcmdrivers/opensource/char/board/bcm963xx/impl1/board.c:        if( ( (r & 0xffffe) == 0x63168 )
<snip>

Nothing conclusive.  :-\

Finally I had a quick rummage around in the D6400-V1.0.0.22_with_toolchain_src/D6400_GPL_Src/bcmdrivers/broadcom/include/bcm963xx/ directory. It contains the following files --

[Duo2 bcm963xx]$ ls
adsldrv.h  AdslMibDef.h  atmapidrv.h  bcmadsl.h  bcmatmapi.h  bcmmii_exports.h  bcmsw_api.h  bcmxdsl.h  bpm.h  DiagDef.h  ingqos.h  VdslInfoDef.h
[Duo2 bcm963xx]$

Something compelled me to look at the VdslInfoDef.h header file. One section of it shows --

/* VdslPhys status definitions */

#define kVdslPhysStatusNoDefect         (1 << 0)
#define kVdslPhysStatusLOF              (1 << 1)        /* lossOfFraming (not receiving valid frame) */
#define kVdslPhysStatusLOS              (1 << 2)        /* lossOfSignal (not receiving signal) */
#define kVdslPhysStatusLPR              (1 << 3)        /* lossOfPower */
#define kVdslPhysStatusLOSQ             (1 << 4)        /* lossOfSignalQuality */
#define kVdslPhysStatusLOM              (1 << 5)        /* lossOfMargin */
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Buckchoi

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 01:25:05 AM »

All you need to look at in the source code is the version of the adsl_phy bin file.

A2pv6C = BCM6368
A2pv6F = BCM63168

Since it's the latter, this confirms that the D6400 uses BCM63168.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:58 AM »

All you need to look at in the source code is the version of the adsl_phy bin file.

A2pv6C = BCM6368
A2pv6F = BCM63168

Since it's the latter, this confirms that the D6400 uses BCM63168.

[Duo2 D6400-V1.0.0.22_with_toolchain_src]$ strings ./D6400_GPL_Src/bcmdrivers/broadcom/char/adsl/impl1/adsl_phyD6400.bin_save | grep -i a2pv6
Broadcom DSL Version A2pv6F039j
[Duo2 D6400-V1.0.0.22_with_toolchain_src]$

Purrfect!  :)

Thank you for "helping out".
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:57:13 AM by burakkucat »

Buckchoi

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:31 AM »

You're welcome.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:07 AM »

Thanks guys.  Note its available in the UK from April 14th :)

Ive added it to the main list and split all this info off so that it now has its own discussion topic.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ip75

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

Thanks for the info. So given two routers with the same Broadcom chipset, will they both be equally stable on a given line? Or is it possible for the router manufacturer's own firmware to affect stability? I always assumed they'd all be equally stable, but some of the problems routers are having with VDSL2 (e.g. the Asus ones, although I know these are not Broadcom based) suggests that the manufacturer's firmware also plays a part.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:39:48 PM »

Ive added it to the main list and split all this info off so that it now has its own discussion topic.

An excellent idea. Thank you ma'am!  :cat:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

Thanks for the info. So given two routers with the same Broadcom chipset, will they both be equally stable on a given line? Or is it possible for the router manufacturer's own firmware to affect stability? I always assumed they'd all be equally stable, but some of the problems routers are having with VDSL2 (e.g. the Asus ones, although I know these are not Broadcom based) suggests that the manufacturer's firmware also plays a part.

I would expect that how the other components, which make up a modem/router, are controlled/operated by software will also play a part. Basically if you could loan me two modem/routers, both using the Broadcom BCM63168 chipset and essentially identical, then at the end of a period of comprehensive testing my report to you would show that one performs "better" than the other.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »

I've always found WiFi performance and range on NETGEAR routers to he horrible. I hope this is a change.

spotter

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »

Hi, i am very new as you can tell and I am soon to be connected to a Plusnet FTTC (BT Infinity) package and I am considering buying one of these but does anyone now if this support G.INP please ? 

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »

Hi

All these Broadcom based modem/routers do not differ very much, they all follow Broadcom's reference design and run the Broadcom software stack which the manufacturer, or usually the OEM they've contracted, adds a WebUI in the branding as required.  Unless they have messed up with the circuit design the VDSL and router performance will be very similar to the next one using the same chipset.  I've even crossed flashed firmwares before between totally different makes of router using the same chipset and they've worked fine because essentially they are identical.

Netgear have a reputation for not always getting the design right and have been known to release the same model in a 'Version 2' and then dropping all support on the Version 1 due to some unfixable problem.

My recommendation, go for the ZyXEL VMG8924, same specs and internals as the Netgear D6400 plus the option of VoIP built in (you don't have to use it of course), for what looks like £30 less, in much the same form factor.  The ZyXEL firmware has had a few rough edges but I'd expect the same on a new release of a Netgear model, just the way we are sold consumer devices like this these days, and quite a few of us here are finding the VDSL connection rock solid on the ZyXEL. 

Regards

Phil

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 07:35:13 PM »

All NETGEAR devices seem to have issues.

The DGND3700 v1 was a terrible router that NETGEAR gave up supporting after a year and released a version 2.

spotter

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 07:55:11 PM »

Thank you both for your replies and you have confirmed what my head was telling me, although i don't base that on any technical knowledge and it was my heart that was saying to stick with the Netgear as i have had a DGND3300v2 for quite some time and after persevering with the wireless set up, ie choosing my own channel rather than letting it do it itself, it has been great.

I'm sure I will be back soon.

Thank you

spotter

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »

I have ordered the following, hoping this is the correct one...

http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-1726434.aspx

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

anything