Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Plusnet move to Dedicated WBMC Network  (Read 33385 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Plusnet move to Dedicated WBMC Network
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »

As per above, protocols aren't really my forte.   I know the basics - ie what I learnt many years ago when doing a degree..  but much of that Ive now forgotten... and obviously some of protocols on a need to know basis only if theyve been mentioned so many times..  but Im afraid this isnt an area where Ive ever been that much interested in, so I'm not the best person to ask. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »

One thought does spring to mind though & jelv will perhaps recall this too.

Funny you should say that: this is one of the topics on the Plusnet Community forums I was looking at yesterday!

Edit: just gone looking some more to find a RIN tracert. Here's one of mine from back then: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71225.msg564853.html#msg564853

Use this search in Google to find out more about the RIN trial: site:community.plus.net RIN -wap2 -printpage
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:29:03 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:05 PM »

The tracert's have the same pattern as BTr now, with a low latency on the first hop before it reaches plusnet's core network.

So i am 99% sure this is a move to WBMC dedicated from shared.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:41:11 PM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »

So i am 99% sure this is a move to WBMC dedicated from shared.

I am 100%.  I had it confirmed last night.

unny you should say that: this is one of the topics on the Plusnet Community forums I was looking at yesterday!

Thanks for that, it would be interesting to review it again..  goes to read :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 11:34:48 PM »

kitz its a shame they still wont say it publicly tho, and comments like this I think does them more harm than good, this is from bob plusnet staff member.

The decision to do so (which has been long in the making), is not a direct response to yours or any body else's reported problems though

I think they think its better PR to pretend there was no confirmed issues (in doing so saying they not acting on complaints) and just say this would have happened regardless, whilst I think its harmful.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 11:49:29 PM »

. . . this is one of the topics on the Plusnet Community forums I was looking at yesterday!

That is utter shambles of non-support! As there was never any public conclusion to that thread, I presume the end-user decided to become an ex-Plusnet customer.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »

... and now we see the first post where it's gone wrong:

I've been moved across internally from your old network to the new one. Ever since I've had no Internet as I can't now authenticate with the server. Tried multiple routers, cables, modems all to no avail. Had engineer come out and nothing he can do. All I've been told is that until more people get the same issue it'll just be logged with the support team. Are any others experiencing the same problem

One wonders how many users who either don't post on the forums, or can't access the internet via mobile to post are in a similar boat?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »

This change should be totally transparent to the user. So what are Plusnet doing? Sending them a text message:

Your Broadband order has successfully completed. if you want any more information go to ............

If the user hasn't changed anything, that is going to confuse and worry them and they'll probably try to contact Plusnet to find out what is going on. But that's alright because we all know that the support staff just sit around all day waiting for calls to come in as they are over-resourced!

Just seen a Usenet post where the user has rung up to find out what is going on exactly as I predicted.

God knows what some of the decision makers in Plusnet towers have between their ears - I know what it isn't!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 12:51:48 AM »

... and now we see the first post where it's gone wrong:

I've been moved across internally from your old network to the new one. Ever since I've had no Internet as I can't now authenticate with the server. Tried multiple routers, cables, modems all to no avail. Had engineer come out and nothing he can do. All I've been told is that until more people get the same issue it'll just be logged with the support team. Are any others experiencing the same problem

One wonders how many users who either don't post on the forums, or can't access the internet via mobile to post are in a similar boat?

That sounds a bit strange.   If it is migration to the new platform then odd they should send out an engineer.   I take it they do have sync?
If it is an authentication issue then there will be nothing that an OR engineer could do either at the home or exchange.
If the EU has been migrated to the new platform and if Plusnet can see that they submitted a request, then they should be checking with which realm is listed on the BTw SSB list.
A simple test would be to see if they can log into the BTw realm.

Not sure if it will work but certainly worth a shot
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/bttest.htm
-----

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

This isn't going as it should!

I received a Txt message yesterday evening informing me that my broadband order had been completed! I had not changed anything.

This morning I checked my account and found a ticket saying I had migrated to another supplier and for checks to be made to see if I owed anything! I have not migrated and in fact recently renewed my contract.

After my wife and I returned home at mid day I found no internet connection so rand PlusNet, 15 minute wait, I was only getting lunch ready so I can do two things at once!

When call answered Checks made I was informed I had been switched to the new network and would need to reset the router as it was not recognised on the network, so pin in hole and reset, after it rebooted internet was back working.

So looks like switching customers over to new network does not always go seamlessly and also says you have migrated!

Derek

big360

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »

I've been having issues with speedtests not going over 15Mbps for the past week even though the modem was connected at 40Mbps and BTw checker showed IP profile of 38Mbps. Spoke to Plusnet net and apparently it was related to me moving to this new network. What was odd was the tracert's I've been doing the over the past few days suggested I was still on old network. They made a change today and line reconnected. Speedtest results back to normal and trace now indicates I'm on new network.

Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  www.routerlogin.com [192.168.1.254]
  2    25 ms    26 ms    25 ms  195.166.130.210
  3    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  link1-central10.pcl-ag06.plus.net [84.93.249.161]
  4    28 ms    26 ms    26 ms  po2.pcl-gw01.plus.net [195.166.129.41]
  5    30 ms    29 ms    26 ms  cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 06:43:32 PM »

This isn't going as it should!

Oh dear :(   
Afaik Plusnet are the first ISP to move from shared to dedicated.   Enta has been through similar with shared to WBC but I cant recall if there were problems with any of their customers during migration.
It seems odd that it would take a full router reset would clear the issue.  I note that bob denied its anything to do with TR069.
Perhaps a stale session which would have cleared during that time-frame anyhow?

---

andrewsimk case looks a lot more serious and something different.
It would be interesting to see if he could log into the BTw realm though. 

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 06:49:36 PM »

I've been having issues with speedtests not going over 15Mbps for the past week even though the modem was connected at 40Mbps and BTw checker showed IP profile of 38Mbps. Spoke to Plusnet net and apparently it was related to me moving to this new network. What was odd was the tracert's I've been doing the over the past few days suggested I was still on old network. They made a change today and line reconnected. Speedtest results back to normal and trace now indicates I'm on new network.

Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  www.routerlogin.com [192.168.1.254]
  2    25 ms    26 ms    25 ms  195.166.130.210
  3    26 ms    26 ms    26 ms  link1-central10.pcl-ag06.plus.net [84.93.249.161]
  4    28 ms    26 ms    26 ms  po2.pcl-gw01.plus.net [195.166.129.41]
  5    30 ms    29 ms    26 ms  cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]

No answer why this should be.  Was that 15Mbps at all times of the day and I wonder what your PN profile was set at. :hmm:
-----

big360

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:10 PM »

It was all times of the day. The plusnet line profile page showed it as being 14.9Mb before which I pointed out to Plusnet support as they said they could not find any issues with their standard tests. After the change  today the line profile page is now showing 40Mb. Pings a bit better now too. Happy days!  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6