Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Netgear D7000  (Read 96000 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Netgear D7000
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »

Hi

Had a very quick play with my D7000 all OK so far.

I find with all these domestic routers you have to pick and choose the bits that suit you, which is unfortunate especially as I guess its due mainly to economics.

I've had hands on a couple of the VDSL ones (ZyXEL VMG8924 and the D7000) as well as a whole bunch of ADSL ones and all seem to have features missing or bugs.

I worked a long time ago in software engineering and some of these things should be such a simple fix and very frustrating when you see code reuse and hence bugs across several products.

My 'fibre' is only being connected next week so I'll see how it goes then (annoyingly self install so I'll have to grab my own SSFP!)

I think the best ADSL modem/router combo I had was the SpeedTouch 510v4 (going back a bit now), just worked and had from what I remember a really clear UI that was quite modern for the time, and was a revelation of convenience replacing a USB only ADSL modem and so allowing the Internet to be shared easily across the network, and it could still could give Netgear's Web UI a run for it's money :) 

Regards

Phil

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »

Ok this is a little review for others not really looking on another forum site.

I'm all setup and doing well so it seems.

I've already gained back my speed lost through the Asus DSL-AC68U. It had my line profile slowly edging down since the beginning of the month 74Mb to 68Mb to 67Mb now 66Mb. The SNR on the Asus was all over the place and that was with all the ESNP settings on along side the firmware apparently optimised for broadcom exchanges.

Instantly back up to my 74Mb profile with the Netgear, pings have dropped but only by a ms or two and the SNR is solid again.

I've been carrying out various speed tests as this is where the D6400 let me down. I'm pretty pleased with this now as even out in my garage (Out the house and down the drive I'm getting full speeds on AC WiFi. 69.7Mb Down and 18.1Mb up compared to Asus 25Mb down and 18Mb up.

Away to test out the VPN function on Android as this is what I require. If that works fine then it looks like it is good bye Asus! Granted, I do prefer the extra options in the Asus which I will miss, Their GUI is very user friendly and looks nice. Stability is more important for me.

I can't seem to get DSL stats to work at the minute though and that is following my own guide lol.

mjgr33n

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »

I can't seem to get DSL stats to work at the minute though and that is following my own guide lol.

You need to click the 'Reset login configuration' button in DSLStats every time before you login with the D7000 for some reason I found.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

I got it working in the end. A silly error.
Seems to be rock solid.

adrenalize

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2015, 10:58:52 PM »

Away to test out the VPN function on Android as this is what I require. If that works fine then it looks like it is good bye Asus! Granted, I do prefer the extra options in the Asus which I will miss, Their GUI is very user friendly and looks nice. Stability is more important for me.

I've not had time to try or test the VPN yet - you may need to generate a config file but manually edit it for Android from what I have seen on another forum for the R7000 as it is not "officially" supported. I assume you are using OpenVPN on Android?

mjgr33n

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »

I've not had time to try or test the VPN yet - you may need to generate a config file but manually edit it for Android from what I have seen on another forum for the R7000 as it is not "officially" supported. I assume you are using OpenVPN on Android?

You don't need to edit anything, just use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.colucciweb.openvpn&hl=en or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.colucciweb.free.openvpn&hl=en and you can use both the windows or non-windows generated files form the D7000 just fine. :)

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »

Been using the D7000 for around 15 hours now - it was switched on around 5pm on Friday. The changes can be observed on MyDSLWebstats - profile ardsar.

Initial observations -

1) S/N for downstream was approx. 1 db lower than what the Billion 8800NXL reported
2) Interleave was reduced from 801 to 531 (it has been stuck at 801 since around Christmas)
3) Performance seems good.

What I have noticed however is that the S/N usually drops by approx. 1dB at night and then recovers. On the D7000, the S/N has not been recovered. If I look at the S/N per tone graph, the areas that dip at night have recovered, however the bit loading graph seems to suggest that these areas are still poor (around tones 1700). Would this be why the S/N has not recovered this morning?

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »

I'm not too sure Ardsar, I'm unsure about tones and bit loading. I need to read up on that side of things. Sorry I couldn't help.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 12:05:05 PM »

Ardsar,

I've also noticed that my SNR is around 1dB lower on this device than the HG612. I'll need to confirm this later by reconnecting the HG612 but if I remember right, I was sitting at approx 7.5dB with that and now I'm around 6.3dB.

I think there may be a slight issue with sync rates as it appears I've lost a chunk from the down and up stream attainable.

D6400:

Max:    Upstream rate = 26040 Kbps, Downstream rate = 80441 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 74000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

D7000:

Max:    Upstream rate = 16707 Kbps, Downstream rate = 75277 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 16730 Kbps, Downstream rate = 74000 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

Other users on Whirlpool forums have noticed the same. I'm not too worried about it as I'm still syncing well above what my Asus device could and it is far more stable.

ardsar

• Reg Member
Netgear D7000
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »

My concern is that when the s/n drops in the evening it doesn't seem to fully recover and this can be seen in my stats. I may be wrong but it looks like the 'bad' tones are not recovered when the s/n for the tones recover. If u look at my bits per tone graph it's now full of holes which on other modems recovers during the day.

On the upstream I gained a few hundred kb using the 7000.

The max attainable speeds reported by the d7000 seem more reasonable then what other devices report - they have always over estimated on an interleaved line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:29:24 PM by ardsar »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »

Maybe I am getting a true reading of stats now. Who knows.
I'll maybe test with the HG612 tomorrow.

I see what you mean with regards to your tones. I'm not sure why it would do that.

I had a strange SNR spike this afternoon. It appeared to have been stable for 24hrs at 6.3/5.9. This afternoon it blipped to 6.9/10 and has now dropped to 5.4/5.8. Not sure what would cause the change in SNR.

ardsar

• Reg Member
Netgear D7000
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »

SNR down is now at 4.5dB! I started on Friday evening with around 6.3db. Why are these tones not recovering - maybe an issue with bit swapping?

Lowest I ever got with my billion was around 7db. 

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »

Hmm could well be an issue with the firmware. May try one of the older ones.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 08:39:41 PM »

Hi

SNR down is now at 4.5dB! I started on Friday evening with around 6.3db. Why are these tones not recovering - maybe an issue with bit swapping?

Lowest I ever got with my billion was around 7db. 

Could be either the modem part is more susceptible to noise so when noise targets particular bins rather than other modems being able to maintain some data through them the D7000 is shutting them down completely, or is more aggressively bitswapping and shutting bins down, once shut down the bins don't come back into use, even if the noise has gone, until a resync.

Regards

Phil

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »

Hi

Connected and running all okay so far.  What is the trick to get Telnet so I can see the line stats?

Regards

Phil

These are useless by Netgear! Very poor old dated web UI design on the new D7000. Netgear never care to get a full stats on VDSL. This is the reason I won't buy Netgear anymore!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:48:24 AM by adslmax »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

anything