Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Swapped from Billion 8800NL to PN Hub again  (Read 9004 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Swapped from Billion 8800NL to PN Hub again
« on: December 02, 2018, 03:38:07 PM »

Sorry for another trite OP!
On Friday I set up the new AiO Cannon printer and set up its wireless link to router and computer. Yesterday my wife hassled me because she couldn't use her tablet, and I found for whatever most likely unconnected reason, I could not get on to the net. Using troubleshooters was useless, but my ISP was not down ( asked my daughter). Only one of the troubleshooter items  may have given a clue
Code: [Select]
doesn't have valid IP configuration/address

I swapped out the Billion and immediately everything works.

Are yesterday's travails just one of those things, or related to, say, the router failing in some way? If not, ho do I deal with the troubleshooter message?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Swapped from Billion 8800NL to PN Hub again
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

Probably not failing, but either dhcpd was turned off or it had a software incompatibility with the printer via the implementation/configuration.

People seem to think routers can "gradually" fail, I would expect them to either work or be completely broken on a hardware level.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »

I don't understand about dhcpd, but I would not done anything off my own back to turn it off.

I am baffled. With the Billion I cannot connect, but I see that the control panel has the network-unidentified, although the network list showed Billion connected but  no available internet. TNCAP is something nearby. I think it's the entry for Canon (refers to my AiO), which confuses me, why it's there, and I never had such with the MG6800. I can not see how to get rid of it, and don't know if it would solve my problem. With the PN Hub in situ there's no sign of the Canon open connection,
Comments?

[Moderator edited to adjust the tags to be [img][/img].]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 09:25:12 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

did you assign the network to a group (private or work)?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »

I took no known action to that end. I never did with old AiO.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »

It will stay unidentified I believe unless you assign it.  Usually windows will prompt you when it see's a new network.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 07:49:32 AM »

I've given up the struggle, and am exiting on the PN one, so I'm needing a new VDSL/ADSL router.

While It's necessary, some recommended on here are a bit on the dear side new, and I don't fancy buying s/h unless seller is considered reliable (not Ebay or similar opinions).
Please, will someone update on what Broadcom router I should consider under £100. that would give similar performance to the 8800NL?
My line is clobbered by crosstalk; something known for coping well also preferred.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »

Save some money, if you happy with the plusnet router functions click the link in my sig and setup the 8800nl as a bridge device for your plusnet router.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »

It's an idea :), but with limited space I prefer all in combined. My spending preferences are not from needing to save, but choice of what I think is worthwhile or not.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 01:40:01 PM »

Have you had a look in the BB Hardware Swap Shop, there's a few XyXEL's available there, various models, unfortunately no 1312-B10A's which seem to be at a premium.
I have previously bought 2 S/H routers from reputable forum members via this source without any issues.

You may well find that some of the "currently available" items have actually been sold, I found this to be the case recently when looking for a S/H ZyXEL 1312-B10D for a spare, unfortunately not all of the posts have been updated, still worth a PM to the member should you be interested in any particular item.   
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

I see both a Billion 8800NL, which is what is what this thread is about, and a ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B.

Apart from the latter's dual band, what are the members' opinions of the two models?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »

The latter is an excellent modem/router. I have one in full modem/router mode as a backup for my normal two-device setup.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »

Just seen on Ebay Zyxel Wireless N VDSL2 4-port Gateway with USB [VMG1312-B10A-GB02V1F] under £75, decribed as New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag.

I am tempted, should I yield to that temptation unreservedly? What chip abides within?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »

If you are looking for an AiO device (modem/router) then I'd go for a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A (or VMG8324-B10A if you don't need/want 5Ghz wireless).
They have the same Broadcom chipset and line filter circuitry as the VMG1312-B10A and are available a lot cheaper on eBay etc.
The VMG1312-B10A is a top device if you want to use it in modem only mode, but it's a bit low on features as an AiO (eg LAN ports are only 10/100).
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

I'd be satisfied with something with similar characteristics as my seemingly broken Billion 8800NL.
And, truth be told, I prefer "new", unless sure of the seller.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything