Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Strange Noise Margin Activity  (Read 15181 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Strange Noise Margin Activity
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »

Your line is very similar to mine, same length but I have slightly higher attn at 65 dB, possibly because I am making use of higher frequencies more than you do.

Worth noting that many, if not most adslmodems stop reporting the correct line attentuation figures if its higher than 63.5dB  (and just show that instead) so mr_s81's line could be a lot worse than yours (or a bit better!)

mr_s81: A basic question but any chance of FTTC in the future?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »

Worth going ahead with the radio, even though your own house is not a suspect.

A fairly recent experience of my own traced the culprit to probably a flood-abatement pump in a nearby house that had flooded after extreme weather.     Probable, but unproven mind.   My feeling at the time was, them having suffered the dreadful misfortune of flooding, it would have been rather insensitive of me to knock on the door and ask them to switch off their pump as it was adversely affecting my broadband speed. :blush:

Another incident, that predated DSL but affected a radio alarm as well as my washing machine (no joking!) was traced to a faulty street lamp, using the radio.

mr_s81

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »

Was RouterStats still logging as otherwise you won't know...

Yes, it was connected from the router to the laptop and was still recording.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »

Is it actually ADSL2/2+ or ADSL1? The 63.5 and 31.5 figures are typically the maximum values shown on ADSL1, ADSL2/2+ does not have those limits.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 01:29:39 AM »

About the 3dB thing, with AA you can set this yourself in the 'clueless' control panel, provided you are 21CN users not available to 20CN users. But rather than just going ahead and doing it, it might be better to talk to tech support about the feasibility of it, as the line might become unstable unless it has been well-behaved. todos: check are you 20CN / 21CN

The DLink is just a modem not a router, so it's no use without a PPPoE-speaking Ethernet router to go with it. Now I'm assuming that the Billion might qualify - does it have a 'WAN' Ethernet port? - but I'm not familiar with the Billion range apart from their good reputation. Could anyone confirm or denying that this router speaks PPPoE to a WAN port? From AA shop ready configured.

DO NOT USE THESE IN ROUTER MODE, AS THEY ARE CRAP ROUTERS!! (unless you program them to modem mode first yourself, which is easy.)

We also, as an earlier poster pointed out, need to check whether you ADSL2+ or ADSL1 ? How do we check for this? This would affect 'my' speed figures, as I was quoting ADSL2 figures for myself, not ADSL1. (If I were to give ADSL1 numbers for my own line this would be 2000-2400 when things are well lower figures when conditions are bad, and throughput which is 2 Mbps when all is good, 1.75 Mbps typical, 1.25 - 1.5 Mbps when conditions are poor). So my earlier post was predicated on the assumption of ADSL2 mode.

So a list of a few things to check.

mr_s81

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 09:52:04 AM »

Your line is very similar to mine, same length but I have slightly higher attn at 65 dB, possibly because I am making use of higher frequencies more than you do.

Worth noting that many, if not most adslmodems stop reporting the correct line attentuation figures if its higher than 63.5dB  (and just show that instead) so mr_s81's line could be a lot worse than yours (or a bit better!)

mr_s81: A basic question but any chance of FTTC in the future?

On G.DMT the attenuation is 63.5 down and 31.5 up. When I set the modem to ADSL 2 modulation, the attenuation changes to 69.5 down and 46.5 up. Based on these figures, would I be best to remain on G.DMT for a better sync speed? Is it likely that the G.DMT modulation is actually as reported?

As for FTTC, there appear to be no plans currently. However there are houses about 0.5 miles either side of me who I know do have fibre. Unfortunately the little hamlet I live in has not been serviced yet. I'm hoping it is soon, but Plusnet thought it would come along shortly over two years ago. No sign yet I'm afraid! When I asked them recently, they said there were no plans that they could see yet.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:55:10 AM by mr_s81 »

mr_s81

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »

Worth going ahead with the radio, even though your own house is not a suspect.

A fairly recent experience of my own traced the culprit to probably a flood-abatement pump in a nearby house that had flooded after extreme weather.     Probable, but unproven mind.   My feeling at the time was, them having suffered the dreadful misfortune of flooding, it would have been rather insensitive of me to knock on the door and ask them to switch off their pump as it was adversely affecting my broadband speed. :blush:

Another incident, that predated DSL but affected a radio alarm as well as my washing machine (no joking!) was traced to a faulty street lamp, using the radio.

Think I will dig out / purchase an FM radio from somewhere and start investigating. Maybe a daft question, but is it possible that there could be something further down the line that may cause interference? It appears to be something that remains on 24/7 so not likely to be a street lamp etc. The only thing I can think of is a water treatment works on down the road from me, but as I say this is on down the line if that has any bearing.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »

Think I will dig out / purchase an FM radio from somewhere and start investigating. Maybe a daft question, but is it possible that there could be something further down the line that may cause interference? It appears to be something that remains on 24/7 so not likely to be a street lamp etc. The only thing I can think of is a water treatment works on down the road from me, but as I say this is on down the line if that has any bearing.
That should be with AM (Amplitude Modulation) not FM (Frequency Modulation) although you'll probably have both anyway. And set it to about 612Khz on Medium Wave (MW). Roberts do some cheap ones that will pop in your pocket - I have the one attached. Extending antenna not needed as will use its internal ferrite one.

Could be anywhere down the line - are you on Overhead lines as they act as very good antennas to pick up rubbish... Also OH power lines pick up noise and re-radiate it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:16:00 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 10:19:50 AM »

> On G.DMT the attenuation is 63.5 down and 31.5 up. When I set the modem to ADSL 2 modulation, the attenuation changes to 69.5 down and 46.5 up.

Sounds about right.

>Is it likely that the G.DMT modulation is actually as reported?

A 63.5 dB figure is very suspicious if you are on G.DMT. A better guess might be something like 65 dB.

> Based on these figures, would I be best to remain on G.DMT for a better sync speed?

As a rule of thumb you should try ADSL2 (rather than 2+) for best speed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 10:30:34 AM »

A couple more daft questions from me.

How long have you been on ADSL2?

How do we check whether you are on 20CN or 21CN?

mr_s81

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »

About the 3dB thing, with AA you can set this yourself in the 'clueless' control panel, provided you are 21CN users not available to 20CN users. But rather than just going ahead and doing it, it might be better to talk to tech support about the feasibility of it, as the line might become unstable unless it has been well-behaved. todos: check are you 20CN / 21CN

Definitely on 21CN but I think 3dB would cause problems with errors on a line this length.

The DLink is just a modem not a router, so it's no use without a PPPoE-speaking Ethernet router to go with it. Now I'm assuming that the Billion might qualify - does it have a 'WAN' Ethernet port? - but I'm not familiar with the Billion range apart from their good reputation. Could anyone confirm or denying that this router speaks PPPoE to a WAN port? From AA shop ready configured.

Thanks for clarifying, yes I think it does, but will confirm to check. So, in your experience you think the DLink will yield a better speed as a modem when used in conjunction with an Ethernet router e.g Billion?

DO NOT USE THESE IN ROUTER MODE, AS THEY ARE CRAP ROUTERS!! (unless you program them to modem mode first yourself, which is easy.)

We also, as an earlier poster pointed out, need to check whether you ADSL2+ or ADSL1 ? How do we check for this? This would affect 'my' speed figures, as I was quoting ADSL2 figures for myself, not ADSL1. (If I were to give ADSL1 numbers for my own line this would be 2000-2400 when things are well lower figures when conditions are bad, and throughput which is 2 Mbps when all is good, 1.75 Mbps typical, 1.25 - 1.5 Mbps when conditions are poor). So my earlier post was predicated on the assumption of ADSL2 mode.

Wasn't sure whether G.DMT or ADSL 2 would provide better speeds, when the attenutation for G.DMT appears to be 63.5dB but for ADSL 2, it goes to 69.5

So a list of a few things to check.

mr_s81

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »

> On G.DMT the attenuation is 63.5 down and 31.5 up. When I set the modem to ADSL 2 modulation, the attenuation changes to 69.5 down and 46.5 up.

Sounds about right.

>Is it likely that the G.DMT modulation is actually as reported?

A 63.5 dB figure is very suspicious if you are on G.DMT. A better guess might be something like 65 dB.

> Based on these figures, would I be best to remain on G.DMT for a better sync speed?

As a rule of thumb you should try ADSL2 (rather than 2+) for best speed.

Thanks for that. I wlil try ADSL 2 then to see if it improves anything.  :fingers:

mr_s81

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »

A couple more daft questions from me.

How long have you been on ADSL2?

How do we check whether you are on 20CN or 21CN?

Been on 21CN since 2nd January apparently. I did notice that sync speeds increased around this time, but had no idea why. It wasn't until I contacted Plusnet re this recent problem that it transpired I had been moved over! Previously, the BT checker showed that 21CN was available at my exchange, but I twice tried to put in an order only for it to be rejected. Work must have been carried out over Christmas.

mr_s81

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »

Yes, overhead lines unfortunately. Sounds like it is going to be a lottery as to whether I get any joy. Given I am about 5k from exchange in terms of road distance, it could end up the proverbial needle in a haystack!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »

As for FTTC, there appear to be no plans currently. However there are houses about 0.5 miles either side of me who I know do have fibre. Unfortunately the little hamlet I live in has not been serviced yet. I'm hoping it is soon, but Plusnet thought it would come along shortly over two years ago. No sign yet I'm afraid! When I asked them recently, they said there were no plans that they could see yet.

Out of interest, could you go to http://dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the exchange name and cabinet number it says you are connected too?

Though you're obviously relatively rural/on a small exchange given you're just getting 21CN now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:35:51 PM by gt94sss2 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4