Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Strange Noise Margin Activity  (Read 15161 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: Strange Noise Margin Activity
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »

If you know either of them, you could consider setting up a point-to-point wireless link (if there is line of sight) to share their Fibre feed and maybe halve their cost if they agree...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

mr_s81

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 12:43:13 PM »

Hi,

I checked there and I am on the Kilrea exchange (cabinet 4)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

You made a point about G.DMT possibly being faster because of lower attn. Firstly the 6.35dB figure is possibly misreported. But secondly ADSL2+ might be showing a higher attn simply because of the way it is calculated, higher frequencies being included in the calculation for ADSL2+ which themselves individually have such a high attn that they are unusable,mand this affects the results of the calculation.

This is the reason why you should always use ADSL2 not ADSL2+, as it excludes the completely useless high bins that do nothing for you but let noise in. (Thanks Burakkucat.) The idea is that changing to ADSL2 instead of 2+ causes a narrowing of the input filters and so lets less crap in.

It might even be possible that G.DMT is a superior performer to ADSL2+, but ADSL2 will always be the best.

Another advantage of ADSL2/2+ is that it can assign a single bit to a bin, whereas in G.DMT the minimum is two bins to a bin, so ADSL2/2+ can use bins that would otherwise just be ignored and wasted for no good reason.

mr_s81

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »

Thanks for explaining Weaver. I'll just leave it at ADSL 2 only.  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »

Ah, Cabinet 4 on the Kilrea exchange was enabled for FTTC by BT in August 2010.

If the dslchecker doesn't list it as available to you, you must be too far away from the cabinet to benefit.

The good news is that there is a lot of public money being used in NI to ensure more get faster speeds- its worth checking with BDUK NI (https://www.detini.gov.uk/articles/northern-ireland-broadband-improvement-project) what plans there are to cover your area

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 03:03:38 PM »

Burakkucat explained the issues to me, I hope I've done his arguments justice.

Thanks Burakkucat.

I'm a newcomer to ADSL2+ and 21CN, I paid to have my three lines converted on 2015-12-24.

mr_s81

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »

Ah, Cabinet 4 on the Kilrea exchange was enabled for FTTC by BT in August 2010.

If the dslchecker doesn't list it as available to you, you must be too far away from the cabinet to benefit.

The good news is that there is a lot of public money being used in NI to ensure more get faster speeds- its worth checking with BDUK NI (https://www.detini.gov.uk/articles/northern-ireland-broadband-improvement-project) what plans there are to cover your area

Thanks. Yes, I was aware that fibre was available at the cabinet, but unfortunately it must be too far away (I think it's 5k). Must only be a stones through too far for as I've said previously, a neighbour possibly half a mile away nearer to the cabinet has fibre (with the same postcode)!

I also checked the link attached and there are improvements pencilled in for my postcode by Dec 2017. Let's hope those improvements involve fibre availability!!

mr_s81

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »

If you know either of them, you could consider setting up a point-to-point wireless link (if there is line of sight) to share their Fibre feed and maybe halve their cost if they agree...

I guess this may be an option. Depends primarily if they would be agreeable, and then the inevitable hardware and setup costs.

lcl00

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »

Another potential option is Air Fibre, based in Lurgan (I think). I'm not sure if they've got coverage up as far as Kilrea yet.

http://airfibrenet.com/

They don't have a phone number listed on the website, but I *think* it is 028 3844 0038.

Might be cheaper and easier to obtain than a wireless link from your neighbours.

By any chance are you in Moneydig?

mr_s81

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

Another potential option is Air Fibre, based in Lurgan (I think). I'm not sure if they've got coverage up as far as Kilrea yet.

They don't have a phone number listed on the website, but I *think* it is 028 3844 0038.

Might be cheaper and easier to obtain than a wireless link from your neighbours.

Yes, I'm in Moneydig. You familiar with the area?

Will look at airfibre, had never heard of it before in truth.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:39 PM »

Think I will dig out / purchase an FM radio from somewhere and start investigating. Maybe a daft question, but is it possible that there could be something further down the line that may cause interference? It appears to be something that remains on 24/7 so not likely to be a street lamp etc. The only thing I can think of is a water treatment works on down the road from me, but as I say this is on down the line if that has any bearing.
That should be with AM (Amplitude Modulation) not FM (Frequency Modulation) although you'll probably have both anyway. And set it to about 612Khz on Medium Wave (MW). Roberts do some cheap ones that will pop in your pocket - I have the one attached. Extending antenna not needed as will use its internal ferrite one.

Bear in mind also that optimum reception is 'broadside on' to the ferrite antenna, and minimum off the ends.

By moving position, therefore, it may be possible to triangulate the location of any interference you might find.

Good hunting, and welcome to the forum.  :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

lcl00

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »

Aye, I live with a fella who grew up in Moneydig, so I've got a rough idea of the area.  You're a right distance from anywhere urban, but it's all on the flat so you might be lucky with AirFibre.  Avoid Bluebox (Northwest Electronics) like the plague though - it's terrible.

mr_s81

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 10:32:46 PM »

Aye, I live with a fella who grew up in Moneydig, so I've got a rough idea of the area.  You're a right distance from anywhere urban, but it's all on the flat so you might be lucky with AirFibre.  Avoid Bluebox (Northwest Electronics) like the plague though - it's terrible.

Small world! Yes, as you say, far enough from anywhere urban. I dropped AirFibre an email, so will see what they come back with. Not hopeful that they've come this far yet, but you never know.

Had a near enough miss with BlueBox. Had an engineer come to the house to see if it was available, but apparently we are just too far away. Some of the stories heard from others have made us realise that they would have been a bad idea!

mr_s81

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »

Think I will dig out / purchase an FM radio from somewhere and start investigating. Maybe a daft question, but is it possible that there could be something further down the line that may cause interference? It appears to be something that remains on 24/7 so not likely to be a street lamp etc. The only thing I can think of is a water treatment works on down the road from me, but as I say this is on down the line if that has any bearing.
That should be with AM (Amplitude Modulation) not FM (Frequency Modulation) although you'll probably have both anyway. And set it to about 612Khz on Medium Wave (MW). Roberts do some cheap ones that will pop in your pocket - I have the one attached. Extending antenna not needed as will use its internal ferrite one.

Bear in mind also that optimum reception is 'broadside on' to the ferrite antenna, and minimum off the ends.

By moving position, therefore, it may be possible to triangulate the location of any interference you might find.

Good hunting, and welcome to the forum.  :)

Thanks for the advice and welcome, I will bear that in mind when the hunt commences!  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »

I also checked the link attached and there are improvements pencilled in for my postcode by Dec 2017. Let's hope those improvements involve fibre availability!!

You can see the first evidence of this here in NI - where BT are putting in FTTP where FTTC isn't sufficient.

Of course, a prompt to your local AM or council can't do any harm either 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything