Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Netgear D6400  (Read 81989 times)

Wez68

• Just arrived
Re: Netgear D6400
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:44 AM »

You maybe correct ,my line is showing no interleaving and very few errors ,I've been a rock solid 79987 up/19999 down since my line was fixed

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2015, 02:00:30 AM »

Lucky for some. I've always had interleaving in all properties in my area. One I was next door to the cabinet, this one about 200m from it. Always the same pings and interleaving depths. I was beggining to wonder if Zen had me on a stable profile.
Strange thing was the hg612 and the d6400 always report me as interleaved. The Asus always reported me as fastpath.

mjgr33n

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:09 PM »

Lucky for some. I've always had interleaving in all properties in my area. One I was next door to the cabinet, this one about 200m from it. Always the same pings and interleaving depths. I was beggining to wonder if Zen had me on a stable profile.
Strange thing was the hg612 and the d6400 always report me as interleaved. The Asus always reported me as fastpath.

Interleave and Fastpath are not always reported correctly especially when G.INP is reported as being enabled. Technically G.INP is a form of interleaving, so when then the ASUS reports Fastpath it is not telling you the whole story about G.INP and interleave depth.

Most reliable test for me at least is to just ping google.com, anything 12ms or lower seems to be Fastpath and/or G.INP functioning correctly, if you getting 20ms or higher then either interleaved or G.INP possibly not working as intended and at this point need to check other factors such as what cabinet you on, line length, line noise etc etc.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »

Ah that makes sense.

Looks like I have always been interleaved. My pings were better on ADSL2+ really.

Any idea on when the next firmware is released for this device or what is included in it? I'm tempted to return it but wanted to see if the firmware update was out before my returns time frame ran out.

mjgr33n

« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »

Ah that makes sense.

Looks like I have always been interleaved. My pings were better on ADSL2+ really.

Any idea on when the next firmware is released for this device or what is included in it? I'm tempted to return it but wanted to see if the firmware update was out before my returns time frame ran out.

I read somebody from Netgear said June, what device would you get instead, there is nothing really better at the moment.

BiPAC 8800AXL has been out for ages and never got a firmware update :P

DrayTech Vigor 2860ac is about £250, I guess that is an option https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/21803-draytek-v2860ac/ but their G.INP firmware is technically beta at the moment, but has been ratified as working.

TBH in terms of all in one solution with good VDSL modem in there is not great choice, you could get hold of a good Broadcom based VDSL modem (Huawei HG612) and separate router that way you could pick one of the top of the range Netgear/Linksys/ASUS routers with tri or quad band AC and really good antennas etc.

danivtec

• Just arrived
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »

D6400 has been up and running stable for 10 days now with no re syncs. Seems very stable. I have sold my Asus now as happy to keep the Netgear.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

I would probably just go back to a two box solution if I'm honest. Maybe just get a cheap modem with broadcom chip set which will easily allow me to get stats and sell the dsl-ac68u, return the d6400 and get another AC router that supports VPN on android/iOS.

I think the next two in one unit I would be willing to try is the new billion series hopefully out soon.

mjgr33n

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

I would probably just go back to a two box solution if I'm honest. Maybe just get a cheap modem with broadcom chip set which will easily allow me to get stats and sell the dsl-ac68u, return the d6400 and get another AC router that supports VPN on android/iOS.

I think the next two in one unit I would be willing to try is the new billion series hopefully out soon.

Found a VPN solution for you for android on Netgear VPN at least https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.colucciweb.openvpn&hl=en it costs £5.49 but it works with TAP etc.

Tested it and it works perfectly.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »

Nice. I did read about that last night. Think I may go with this.
Now just to figure out the WiFi throughput issue.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »

Thats me returned the D6400. Good solid modem in it but I just wasn't 100% happy with it in terms of the GUI and WiFi. This could well improve with firmware updates so I'm keeping it as an open option in the future. I hope it does improve as I would happily have it back again. It is probably one of the better combo units I have tested so far.

mjgr33n

« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »

Still working amazingly, definitely recommended product, only thing is I think this and other similar ones should be going down in price more and there should be more high powered alternatives, well in time I hope there is.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »

I said this before on another thread. If they took out a combo unit with the wireless similar to the nighthawk or newer then I would take one in a heartbeat!!

mjgr33n

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »

I said this before on another thread. If they took out a combo unit with the wireless similar to the nighthawk or newer then I would take one in a heartbeat!!

Probably just needs more adjustable power settings like my Netgear WAC120 Access Point has, although the WAC120 is classified as a business product and the D6400 as a home product, in fact in general I wish more manufacturers put far more settings in their routers, they should all have a Basic/Advanced/Expert toggle to reveal more settings.

Buckchoi

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »

;)

NETGEAR D7000

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:23 PM »

NETGEAR D7000

Do you know the chipset that powers the above, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

anything