Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers  (Read 319049 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »

A full router/modem single box Netgear D6220 which has gigabit LAN and is Broadcom so runs DSLStats.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Silverback

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »

Worth adding the Draytek 2862? (I have ac version)

Circa - £260
Has BT approved firmware version
G.INP and Vectoring
Dual Band WiFi
DSL and Ethernet WAN ports.
4xGbps Ethernet ports (5 if not using Ethernet WAN)
Chipset - Intel-Lantiq - PXB4369EL - V2.1

Plenty of features.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2862#specifications

Although at the moment I have a question over the BT Firmware with non-vectoring, G.INP Huawei Cabinets. This may be corrected by swapping to non-BT non-vectoring firmware and modem code but I cannot confirm this yet...

The other issue with this as a combined modem / router is it seems to like to be rebooted a lot when config changed are made.  So when making config changes you may end up rebooting the router multiple times and of course the VDSL2 link is resets each time.  This can upset the DLM...

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »

I think you will find although the device asks for a reboot, if you don’t the configuration is applied. Common issue with Draytecs.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Silverback

« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »

I think you will find although the device asks for a reboot, if you don’t the configuration is applied. Common issue with Draytecs.

I have done just that at times but I'm not sure how consistent the results are.  On a number of occasions the router seemed happy to take a config change without a reboot but I'm fairly sure I had some VLAN stuff go wafferty when ignoring the reboot prompt and only a later reboot sorted it.

Ignoring reboot prompts never makes me feel warm inside :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2020, 04:35:07 PM »

I have always advised, when configuration changes are to be made to a modem (or modem/router), to always disconnect the device from the incoming line. Hence any re-boots of the device are not seen by the DSLAM.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Silverback

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2020, 05:02:15 PM »

I have always advised, when configuration changes are to be made to a modem (or modem/router), to always disconnect the device from the incoming line. Hence any re-boots of the device are not seen by the DSLAM.

Would that not still cause a retrain?  I was under the impression it's retrains the DLM counts, forced or unforced...?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2020, 05:35:04 PM »

Ideally, the pedantic protocol to follow would be --
  • From the modem/router's administration interface (CLI or GUI), "down" the xDSL service.
  • Disconnect the modem/router from the incoming line.
  • Adjust the modem/router's configuration.
  • Power down the modem/router.
  • Reconnect it to the incoming line.
  • Once 30 minutes have passed since performing step one, power up the modem/router and allow it to re-train.
The 30 minute wait is recommended due to the fact that the DLM considers those parameters, which it monitors, in 15 minute blocks. It is not known where any 15 minute block would begin and end. Thus by allowing 30 minutes to elapse, there is one complete 15 minute block in which the DLM will see no data and, hopefully, will take that as an indication of a planned outage and not circuit instability.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Silverback

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2020, 07:12:18 PM »

I'm to old and impatient to wait 30 mins to get back online :-)

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »

Review of a SBG3300-N000

This Zyxel model is old and expensive when new.  I managed to spot a £20 one on the bay which was in fact new judging by the packing.   It needed a reset to login and judging by the default settings it was from a South African ISP. 

Admin login via telnet gives access to what seems like Zyxel supervisor level with sh working.  Clearing ROM D removed the ISP settings and the latest firmware was loaded.  From posts on Kitz I was expecting it to have a 6368  chip but it seems to be a 63168.

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : 963168MXH_17A
etc.........
this is a 63168 but for comparison a VMG1312 gives 63168VX

The latest firmware has a dsl version A2pv6F039n which is an old version for a 63168.

Internally the dsl circuit components look identical to a VMG1312 with the same common mode filter built in. Again like the VMG1312 header pins are provided for serial connections.

Setting up the SBG3300 is much the same as for other Zyxel’s but there are more options for business type features. I got stuck for a while as the there was no internet access through it until I enabled a load balancing priority for the dsl connection. The gui is very much faster than that of a VMG1312.

The sync speeds are rather like HG612 on my line.  Relative to a VMG1312 - down about 0.5Mb/s on downstream but up about the same amount on upstream. The error rates are very good and essentially the same as a VMG1312 with the latest firmware. The low error rates surprised me as dsl firmware as old as A2pv6F039n  perform quite badly on my line when in a VMG1312.  I guess something is different.

The wireless is only 2.4GHz but it has much greater range than that of the VMG1312.  I tend to only use 2.4GHz as 5GHz does not make it to locations where I often use wireless - too many solid walls.

I like the leds on the front which are not too bright. In short this device is now the one I am using as it gives me the best of everything I want.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:37:18 PM by les-70 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2020, 04:47:54 AM »

Very interesting. Thanks for your review!  :)

Is that still on sale, do you know?

And would you go so far as to say the hardware is possibly actually identical to the VMG1312-B10A, with just a different software load ? You said more businessy?

I might be really interested provided I could get Johnson, to whom I owe so much already, to do a port of his custom firmware. If the unit has some advantages, I would have to get him one to test on, if he were willing. It’s kind of taking the pee out of him; don’t want to abuse his generosity further.

What kind of line were you using, and what performance spec ? I’m very interested by what you said about faster upstream. For me a DLink DSL-320B-Z1, which I compare against my ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A on my ultra-long 3.0/0.5 Mbps sync rates ADSL2 line (~7300 m), is slightly faster on the upstream, by 5-10% but the ZyXEL has a small advantage on downstream, maybe 0-10% advantage to the ZyXEL B10A over the DLink out of ~2.9 Mbps d/s. I have no idea why there is this upstream advantage in the Dlink. The Dlink’s usual game is to run at an SNRM which is way below target and thus to get a speed advantage that way. This is certainly true for the downstream but might be true in the upstream as well, which I would have to take another look at to refresh my memory. But then the question simply moves to why does it run too hot, below the target in upstream then (ditto on downstream). The ZyXEL is still faster even though the DLink runs at too low an SNRM, but it still is faster downstream. This is because it has Adsl2 PhyR L2-RETX error correction (like G.INP) on the downstream (only) since luckily the exchange is protocol compatible with this proprietary protocol and this causes a massive improvement in reliability and speed. It can run at very low SNRM without any problem at all.

I’m extremely interested in your report of improved upstream as this is something I’m desperate for. I don’t know the context: it’s an extra 0.5Mbps upstream, but out of what/compared with what ? If I had 0.5 Mbps extra u/s * 4 lines then that ~2Mbps less bonding inefficiency would rock my world, as I only have ~1.3-1.55 Mbps u/s in total anyway, and that’s 4 lines combined. So very interesting.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2020, 03:26:47 PM »

why is that is it bad for DSLAM to see our modem rebooting again and again? Or DSLAM will put us in some list?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »

why is that is it bad for DSLAM to see our modem rebooting again and again? Or DSLAM will put us in some list?
In the UK too many line drops (reboots) in short succession will make the DSLAM think the line has deteriorated and DLM will then take action to stabilise the line. This can result in a capped line rate which can be hard to shift.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

fatihso

• Just arrived
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »

Hey guys, has anyone tried this product yet? It has many features, nice interface and modular packages I'm interested in buying it and need opinions thank you.

https://keenetic.com/global/keenetic-extra-dsl

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »

The specifications state its CPU is EN7513T - EcoNet a.k.a. MediaTek - as in the awful DSL modem in the Asus DSL-AC68U. 100Mb Ethernet ports and fairly dated 5GHz wifi. Dated hardware and all of its distinguishing features seem to be done by software. I wouldn't touch it with an extra long barge pole.

fatihso

• Just arrived
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2020, 12:08:18 AM »

The specifications state its CPU is EN7513T - EcoNet a.k.a. MediaTek - as in the awful DSL modem in the Asus DSL-AC68U. 100Mb Ethernet ports and fairly dated 5GHz wifi. Dated hardware and all of its distinguishing features seem to be done by software. I wouldn't touch it with an extra long barge pole.

Thanks for comment ac68u is still very expensive combo here. Above product is like one third price of it here.
What is the best combined vdsl2 modem router in your opinion that's not dated and awful? Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

anything