Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60

Author Topic: I have G.INP on ECI  (Read 232242 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
Re: I have G.INP on ECI
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:15 PM »

No, how do i do that.

If you have a pc or pi you can run hg612 stats or dsl stats and upload real time to mydslstats.co.uk

Plenty of info in the monitoring section on
Kitz. Unlocked 612 will work from port2

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats_setup.htm

https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:22:35 PM by skyeci »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »

@broadstairs

There were briefings about the problem:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga01416.do
https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefings/super-fastfibreaccessbriefingsarticles/nga01616.do

And these things from the ISP forum event: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17806.0.html

For things like G.INP and Vectoring, Openreach shouldn't really need to tell anyone that they are going to enable it, because the modems are already required to support downstream retransmission, and vectoring, and are supposed to have passed the testing which includes testing those features. I doubt that they'd be many people praising Openreach if switching on retransmission had gone smoothly, but it didn't, so everyone's complaining.

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #737 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »

The thing that doesnt make sense is "or" say they are communicating with their customers about the network changes but when I ask their customer about it they havent got a clue. Why is the information not filtering down to the engineers on support etc.. have spoken with sky pro fibre team many times but they really dont know what g.inp is...perhaps sky for example is not passing down the info internally properly...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #738 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:38 PM »

isp's are either using plausible deniability (instructing reps to pretend there is no knowledge of said bodged rollout).  Or simply only higher level technical staff were ever made aware, so anyone on tech support hasnt a clue.

I did ask revk whether he told his customer's if they were on a OR trial, and he said yes.  So at least AAISP do things right.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #739 on: May 19, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »

Does the fact that you guys who have 'Jail-breaked' or by-passed this security mean that you would otherwise be in the dark as to the various trials OR are conducting with regard to Vect and INP, had you left the software as is ??

If the answer is 'Yes' ....... then as far as I'm concerned you have no rights at all to demand answers of OR.

There are plenty of modems available which give stats without being "jail-breaked"

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #740 on: May 19, 2016, 10:06:40 PM »

Yeap. Zyxel, billion to name a couple

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #741 on: May 20, 2016, 07:18:09 AM »

There are plenty of modems available which give stats without being "jail-breaked"

Thank you Dray, that's what I was querying.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #742 on: May 20, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »

No I don't have any extra services, just basic BT sports TV at SD.

Sync speeds are not great due to aluminium in the line, after g.inp has been removed I'm getting around 21Mbps down and 1.7 Mbps up which should be fine for SD multicast tv.

Thanks.   I do seem to remember reading something a while back about multicast and HD and other services (btw I didnt mean pr0n) - I just couldn't remember the term that they used for the additional channel package.   For some reason a figure of something like 28-30Mbps was stuck in my head about provision of service and I cant recall what it was.   The connection I was trying to make is I wondered if because your service was <30Mbps and because you dont have one of the premium HD packages, I was wondering about 'multicast'.   Openreach said multicast not IPTV.    Anyway it was just a niggling doubt about why yours could have been removed.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #743 on: May 20, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »

Gosh there seems to have been quite a bit going on the past 3 days whilst I didn't have a connection.

---

I can confirm that the ISPs definitely were advised by BT.  The information given to me was practically the same info that was given out to the ISPs.   I'm seeing quite a bit of it these days where certain ISPs are denying knowledge of certain information when the truth is that its not being filtered down to those at the ISP who interface with the EU's.
Didn't I also see a moan from a certain 'LLU ISP' fairly recently moaning about BTretail using the 55Mbps product and implying that it was BT favouritism?   
We are being misled by certain sectors, because we damn well know that BT very openly made info available from last year that a new 55/10 product was being made available.   I can guarantee you that those same ISPs will have had the same info I had and probably even a bit more.

It is the ISP's who are not filtering this info on to the EU's and this is something that I had a fairly long convo with Ian Lawrence about last year and possible ways it could be filtered out to the EU by other means.   I said last year that the G.INP info filtered via this forum was being monitored by BT for reactions, but all that happened was a pile of negative comments about BT and the thread was filled with one line comments about how crap BT were. If you look there is a post by me made several months ago saying that they were monitoring how info passed to '3rd parties' was received.   To be quite frank if all it does is generate moans, then can you blame them if they shut the stable door.   I know for a fact there are/were 3 sites they were considering sharing more info with.   However, that opportunity has now passed and the person involved has moved on.

---

As regards to the ECI issues, I can see both sides of this.   Openreach have and always will use at least 2 different suppliers for hardware.  Its only these days because we can physically see the cabs that we are perhaps more aware of it.  But situations like this have happened many times in the past.   Right back to pre Openreach..  I can recall Cisco kit in exchanges having a problems way back in 2003 when the Junipers where fine.   Theres the Marconi MSANs that had problems with the increased upstream for maxdsl and lots more no doubt that I cant think of right now.

I can understand the customer frustrations and I do believe that g.inp wasn't tested as well as it should have been.  I myself have offered services of forum members last year for testing purposes.   The problem Openreach have with that is that we are not their customers - its the SPs.     For example the 3dB trial, that was down to the ISPs who trialled it.   Think again we have proof that Openreach have tried in the past to directly communicate with the EU's, but it was certain 'LLU ISPs' who put the block on that.

---

Re 'hacked' routers.

Nothing to do with it..  there are plenty of MCT and Openreach approved modems that do give info.  I myself use an Openreach MCT modem router and would have become aware of what was going on with G.INP etc on my line.  Once upon a time all modem/routers provided this sort of info.

One of the first ISPs to start the lock-downs was Sky, soon after followed by BTr with the HH.   I know for a fact BT didnt like certain modems because some users were tweaking SNR without really understanding what they were doing and putting their line into a worse state.  Even today on these forums I see people panic because their SNRm moves by 'x' amount or become fixated on attenuation.

Line stats are a fantastic diagnostic and with line stats monitoring many times in the past we've been able to point people with genuine line faults in the right direction.   

What happens though is some people get hold of info and demand something fixed which is within normal range..  I'm not talking about Openreach here, I'm talking about DSL is genuinely expected to perform within standards across the board and that certain variations are to be expected.   Years ago, fluctuations of up to 6dB was considered as not unusual.  ADSL was designed to cope with these sorts of fluctuations and its why such things as Interleaving, FEC and G.INP were invented.   Myself I would be a bit concerned about 6dB..  but 3dB is considered within the realms of normal...  but you have to look at the bigger picture - not all lines behave the same... and longer lines are always going to be more susceptible.

So line stats are good, as long as used sensibly.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #744 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »

I've split the off-topic comments concerning BT and Openreach in general into a separate discussion. http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17822.0.html
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #745 on: May 21, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »

thanks eric for saying, I wondered where my post went :)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #746 on: May 21, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Today I was recabling my network kit and as part of this I reinstated my HG612 modem. Immediately after resuming my uploads to MDWS I received an email:

"Just to let you know that G.INP is now disabled for your line."

I'm on a Huawei cabinet so am puzzled as to how/why I have lost G.INP?
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #747 on: May 21, 2016, 05:17:49 PM »

Ignore the above, my stupidity!!  :-[  :blush:

Had a new line installed yeswsterday and despite my meticulous labelling still managed to code the wrong modem address in DSLStasts.

Sorry.
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #748 on: May 21, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »

It's now more than 10 days since I lost G.INP and DLM has not yet removed interleaving from my line despite my stats being pretty goos. Is there anything I can get TT to do to make it happen?
It does seem unreasonable for it not to have happened by now.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #749 on: May 21, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »

I can only think of one at that is to find away to get the DLM reset into an open profile,you have less than 5 ES per day on the downstream with interleaving so with fastpath you may see no more than 200 per day

And having seen how long it takes your line to go from interleaving to fastpath you need some form of DLM intervention to take place.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60

anything