Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Line Dead?  (Read 33715 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: Line Dead?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »

As has been said many times, it's impossible to predict if, or when your Banding might be removed.

It could happen within days or it might take months, it might even never correct itself (until a DLM reset) as happened to me. 

Patience!

Fine. But, I will have to ring BT soon to get a DLM reset if the profile is still stuck.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

You cannot just call BT and ask for a DLM reset. It has to be requested by an Openreach engineer after they fix a suspected fault.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 10:42:25 AM »

You cannot just call BT and ask for a DLM reset. It has to be requested by an Openreach engineer after they fix a suspected fault.

Great, so that means I'm stuck then?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »

Not at all. Banding is still one of the mysteries of Dlm and Banding getting stuck is pretty rare.

As with all things Dlm related, best thing you can do is sit and wait - it will probably work out ok on its own. The odd reboot of your router or occasional disconnection will also make no difference, either positively or negatively!

Be patient!

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »

Not at all. Banding is still one of the mysteries of Dlm and Banding getting stuck is pretty rare.

As with all things Dlm related, best thing you can do is sit and wait - it will probably work out ok on its own. The odd reboot of your router or occasional disconnection will also make no difference, either positively or negatively!

Be patient!

Yes, I understand. I am trying to be patient, it's just frustrating how tight DLM is. Oh well, I've learnt my lesson! :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 03:45:49 PM »

@kitz

Those numbers started to do my head in! I couldn't work out how they could manage B=0 ... because that would imply that the entire frame was overhead.

If I try to read them logically, it seems to be saying
B=0 -> zero bytes in MUX data frame
M=2 -> two MUX data frames in RS codeword
R=16 -> sixteen bytes of parity overhead in RS codeword
N=32 -> thirty two bytes in an RS codeword

Would this be
a) N = R + (M*B)
or
b) N = M * (R+B)

Using the English language, I'd assume (a) was more correct. But (b) appears to pan out in real use. I guess these framing parameters are from Bearer 1. Perhaps the rules are slightly different there.

But back in bearer 0, with N=B+R+1, I couldn't honestly figure out why the "+1" should be there.

More thinking needed. I suspect I'll feel the need to dig out the spec again. I recall from last time that G.INP tied the base VDSL2 spec down to using more limited framing options.

Although I have this information listed on the linestat errors page, because of the alphabetical layout, it perhaps doesnt make it quite so clear the relationship between those particular figures.

On reflection and after seeing wombats post,  it may be a good idea for me to also add this on the interleaving page,  where its not lost amongst other things like LoF or LoS.

I can see that it would be useful to see that relationship, at least for those wanting to dive into the depths.

@ wombat -  Yes those other stats were g.inp bearer 1.

I attempted to do a little bit of digging last night,  at first I was wading through some very heavy documentation that had lots of horrible equations that didn't quite seem relevant to the info we wanted. TBH some of them made my head hurt & my eyes blur,  so I packed in.

I started to do a break down summary of what we knew and then I stumbled across a much more reader friendly power point presentation by Tim Clark of the VDSL consortium.  A copy can be downloaded here.   Ive not finished digesting all the info in that ppt yet but thought I'd post how far Ive got with my summary.

Reed Solomon Parameters

MSGc = Number of bytes in overhead channel message
K = Number of bytes in the DMT Frame
B = Number of bytes in the data frame
N = NFEC = Length of codeword         (N = K + R)
R = RFEC = RS check bytes / Amount of redundancy
S = Symbols per codeword
T = Number of dataframes in an OH subframe/ Data frames over sync bytes
Q = Number of RS codewords per DTU (g.inp)
V = Number of padding octets per DTU (g.inp)

Interleaving Parameters

I = Number of Interleaver branches / The interleaver block size in bytes.  Should be a sub-multiple of N
M = Incremental delay / Number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame/RScodeword
D = Interleave Depth      (D = M * I + 1)
L = LSYMB = Number of bits per symbol in the latency path / Number of bits in PMD data frame

Interleaving introduces a delay of M * I * (I-1)
Actual delay - ADSL  shown in ms =  [S x D]/4   
Actual delay - If retransmission is used this specifies the actual value of the time independent component of the delay due to retransmission only.

Statements  & snippets
T-REC G.998.4  Section 9.2 FEC

The interleaving used on Latency path #1 shall be a block interleaving. The interleaving block shall have a size of D1 × NFEC bytes, with NFEC being the length of the RS codeword, and D1 being the interleaving depth. If D1=1, then an interleaving block equals an RS codeword. If D1=Q (the number of RS codewords per DTU) then an interleaving block equals a DTU. Each byte Bk within an interleaving block (input at position k, with index k in the interval 0 to D1 × NFEC – 1) shall be located at the output of the interleaving function at position l given by l = i × D1 + j, where i = k MOD NFEC and j = floor(k / NFEC).

VDSL MCM Simulation

Note the relevant equations:-

N = K + R
D = M * I + 1
delay = M * I * (I-1)

We dont have a K value, but it does at face value appear it could to be related to B?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 04:57:08 PM »

There's a Starship out there somewhere, missing some of its crew ........... #wellovermyhead ........  :) :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »

There's a Starship out there somewhere, missing some of its crew ........... #wellovermyhead ........  :) :)

Not only that but William is obviously regretting forcing the DLM to take some action with his circuit! If he had left it alone, this thread would not have been started and so the Wizards would not have come out to play . . .  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »

Ha ha ........... as we all know, there will only be one winner where DLM is concerned.  ;) ;D

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »

Not only that but William is obviously regretting forcing the DLM to take some action with his circuit! If he had left it alone, this thread would not have been started and so the Wizards would not have come out to play . . .  :D

I would like to correct you there. This thread would have started whatever because MDWS wasn't uploading. This thread originally started discussing something unrelated to DLM. ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 07:24:22 PM »

b*cat is duly corrected! :paperbag:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »

Thanks for the document, kitz.

It certainly looks interesting after a quick perusal. I'll start studying it more closely - the way it describes interleaving is a little different from what I expect, but its a 2D process, so is easy to have multiple views.

I did pick up one thing, which finally explains why we don't always see a round number of bits, such as 79997...
Bits are adjusted such that total number of bits fits an integer number of Reed-Solomon codewords

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:33 PM »

@kitz again...

I'd noticed that "M" seems to have a dual definition for interleaving, so started looking at that - starting with checking the definition on the GUI of my Billion ("# of Mux Data Frames in an RS codeword")

From that, I noticed something about T ("# of Mux Data Frames in an OH sub-frame") that T=0 in bearer 0, and T=2 in bearer 1. That made me realise ... No OH frames! That my bearer 0 appears to have no CRC checks going on. Lo and behold, bearer 0 shows zero OHF and zero OHFerror counts too. With G.INP in place, I guess the CRC checks are within the DTU rather than in an OH frame structure. I don't think I'd noticed this before.

That in turn brought me back to the formulae we were playing with yesterday; we had made no allowance for OH frames and the CRC that would be part of that. There is going to be a little more we need to consider there.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 12:44:12 PM »

The extra stats are now available coinciding with the release of a new DSLstats version so if you are using DSLstats and want to see them you'll need to upgrade otherwise they mostly show zero!  More on the post below.:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17106.msg314386.html#msg314386

This is a first stab at them but I suspect there will need to be some changes...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

anything