Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Line Dead?  (Read 32995 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Line Dead?
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

Hi guys,

I was monitoring my line this morning from our holiday place and it shows on MDWS that it has been down since 08:37. I've checked our landline number against the Mouselike BRAS Checker and it's saying "No BRAS info". Does this mean my line is dead? I tried to access the router using the upload IP shown on the "Options" pop up on MDWS but could not access the router.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

William

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Line Dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »

Sounds like a failure in the mouselike tool (or the services they make use of).

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »

Sounds like a failure in the mouselike tool (or the services they make use of).

But, then there are no uploads to MDWS? I'm also getting nothing when I do a BT speed test (yes I know I'm not at home).

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »

I was monitoring my line this morning from our holiday place and it shows on MDWS that it has been down since 08:37. I've checked our landline number against the Mouselike BRAS Checker and it's saying "No BRAS info". Does this mean my line is dead? I tried to access the router using the upload IP shown on the "Options" pop up on MDWS but could not access the router.

Any ideas?

If I recall you use BT Retail/Infinity. As such, its possible your line dropped and your IP address has changed as a result. If you use an service such as no-ip.com you could discover new dynamic IP address via ping.

If you are using a BT Home Hub you can get remotely test and/or restart it using one of BT/s mobile apps (assuming its got connectivity) but as I recall you have switched that out for another modem - or do you still use the HH as a router?

If you think it might be a voice/line fault you could try running an automated line test via https://www.bt.com/fault to see if that detects anything

Or you could just relax, enjoy your holiday and see what has happened once you got back..  :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »

We're back home. The Billion BiPAC 8800NL had stopped working. I could not believe it! What a peice of rubbish this Billion BiPAC 8800NL is! The internet light was a constant green and only occasionally flashing and the WLAN light was off! I just powered down and powered up the Billion BiPAC 8800NL and everything is back to normal. But, I wonder why the Billion BiPAC 8800NL had stopped working?

I might have to install the BT Home Hub 5 if the Billion BiPAC 8800NL stops working again. :(

The problem is that now I've had to power down and power up the Billion BiPAC 8800NL, it means DLM will not increase the Downstream Rate as quickly as hoped. Oh for crying out loud!

Just to say, I have nothing against Billion but for this to happen so soon after purchase is a bit worrying.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:24:30 PM by William Grimsley »

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Ouch! 31033 FEC's occured on the line within 1 minute at 18:37! :no:

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »

Have you loaded the latest firmware on the Billion? 2.32e.dh4 is the very latest.
Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85443427/ETEC8800NL_2.32e.dh4.afw

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »

Don't panic.

Sometimes it just happens.   It could have been DLM doing a resync and for some reason the line just didnt come back up properly.  Happens to the best of routers.   Could just have easily happened with the HH5.   Only difference is you wouldn't have been able to monitor and wouldn't have known till you got home.

it means DLM will not increase the Downstream Rate as quickly as hoped.

Seriously.  Stop.  Listen. 

One extra resync isnt going to bother the DLM.  Also, because it was off for several hours it will be seen as an unforced retrain and not counted!

I think you may also be getting in a tizz re the FEC.  I note that its not unusual for you to have burst FECs nearing 30k.   DLM monitors Err/Secs.   FEC just shows that interleaving is working as it should. 

Please, please, please dont get too worked up over the little things.  Your traffic lights are still all green so all is good.
TBH one of the reasons why some ISPs use routers that dont show all stats is because some EU's used to get worked up about things which were perfectly normal. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 07:03:44 PM »

Have you loaded the latest firmware on the Billion? 2.32e.dh4 is the very latest.
Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85443427/ETEC8800NL_2.32e.dh4.afw

Ah, I hadn't. Thanks very much!

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:05:07 PM »

Don't panic.

Sometimes it just happens.   It could have been DLM doing a resync and for some reason the line just didnt come back up properly.  Happens to the best of routers.   Could just have easily happened with the HH5.   Only difference is you wouldn't have been able to monitor and wouldn't have known till you got home.

it means DLM will not increase the Downstream Rate as quickly as hoped.

Seriously.  Stop.  Listen. 

One extra resync isnt going to bother the DLM.  Also, because it was off for several hours it will be seen as an unforced retrain and not counted!

I think you may also be getting in a tizz re the FEC.  I note that its not unusual for you to have burst FECs nearing 30k.   DLM monitors Err/Secs.   FEC just shows that interleaving is working as it should. 

Please, please, please dont get too worked up over the little things.  Your traffic lights are still all green so all is good.
TBH one of the reasons why some ISPs use routers that dont show all stats is because some EU's used to get worked up about things which were perfectly normal. :(

Ok, I am sorry, Kitz. I do aim to not come over as in a panic, I am just interested in what is going on. If you'd like me to limit my posts regarding these types of things, I am very happy to. Thanks for confirming. Hopefully, I'll get a positive DLM resync soon.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »

You sounded as if you were panicking about the extra resync and thought it would stop DLM from improving your line, which isnt the case.

it means DLM will not increase the Downstream Rate as quickly as hoped. Oh for crying out loud!

It shouldnt make any difference - have a read of unforced retrain.

What a peice of rubbish this Billion BiPAC 8800NL is!

They are usually quite stable and although I dont have one personally , they do seem about the best for stability. 
It could just be one of those things, or it could have happened on the HH5 too.   All Im trying to say is try not to get too worked up about it.
No harm done and we know that atm the DLM appears to be resyncing some days.

I'm in no doubt that your action caused a DLM scarlet situation and is doing additional monitoring on your line.

If anything watch the traffic lights - thats why tony put them there :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 08:25:32 PM »

You sounded as if you were panicking about the extra resync and thought it would stop DLM from improving your line, which isnt the case.

it means DLM will not increase the Downstream Rate as quickly as hoped. Oh for crying out loud!

It shouldnt make any difference - have a read of unforced retrain.

What a peice of rubbish this Billion BiPAC 8800NL is!

They are usually quite stable and although I dont have one personally , they do seem about the best for stability. 
It could just be one of those things, or it could have happened on the HH5 too.   All Im trying to say is try not to get too worked up about it.
No harm done and we know that atm the DLM appears to be resyncing some days.

I'm in no doubt that your action caused a DLM scarlet situation and is doing additional monitoring on your line.

If anything watch the traffic lights - thats why tony put them there :)

I have to admit, I probably went a bit overboard by saying that the Billion BiPAC 8800NL was "rubbish", it was one of my "not thinking before I speak" moments. :lol:

Again, thanks for your in detailed post, I really appreciate it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

You just can't hurry DLM. It's maddening, when this has happened to me in the past, it seemed to take forever. Just drink good Devon ale instead. Yum.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »

You just can't hurry DLM. It's maddening, when this has happened to me in the past, it seemed to take forever. Just drink good Devon ale instead. Yum.

Well, you say that but I've caused this so I shouldn't be mad. Though, looking at those FEC's, I wouldn't be surprised if the line would have got into this state anyway! I'm never going to touch alcohol! It's too expensive and too damaging! :lol:

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »

I must add that in the past on my ADSL line a Billion BiPAC 7800N [Its in the loft now but still works] - which was IMO the most stable router I ever had so I do have a soft spot for Billion equip.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:09:32 PM by Starman »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

anything