Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: o2 Broadband drop outs.  (Read 14299 times)

Rocketronnie7

Re: o2 Broadband drop outs.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:27 PM »

No dropout's for nearly 24 hrs but still noise on the line (Girlfriend confirmed that as i don't use the phone much lol) so looks like the fault is with BT even tho they said no faults are showing at there end, how would i go forth and solve the phone line which in turn i am sure will solve my broadband problem?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

No dropout's for nearly 24 hrs but still noise on the line (Girlfriend confirmed that as i don't use the phone much lol) so looks like the fault is with BT even tho they said no faults are showing at there end, how would i go forth and solve the phone line which in turn i am sure will solve my broadband problem?

If you are 100% certain that there is audible noise on the phone, when plugged into the test-socket of the NTE5, then ring your Telephone Service Provider (may be different from your broadband SP ?), and explain this.

They will perform a low-end PSTN test (approx 1.6Khz), which whips a low voltage/current down the circuit from the Tel Exchange, to your socket and back. This will look for prevalent fault conditions such as 'Batt/Earth contact faults, Short (or resistive) circuits and Disconnections. Chances are, (seeing as the audible noise isn't great and that your BB is still connecting), it will return a LTOK (Line Tests OK).

Miniscule faults like 'High Resistance faults' (HR's) will let the test voltages easily pass through the HR (corrosion on the wire/trapped wire, etc) and generally always show a LTOK. However, when the nominal working voltage is re-applied, the audible noise is still there.

What this waffling is leading to is, your Telephone SP will state that charges will occur if the fault is proven to be on your equipment/wiring. The charges are astronomical in order to pay for my Cruising holidays  ;), therefor, it's imperative you are testing in the 'Test socket'. You are covered by your renatl agreement up to, and only up to, this point. The disclaimer being if somebody or something has hacked away at your outside wiring with intent. Believe me, we do get the jealous husband/wife scenario where they love to make sure their 'estranged other' can't access FB to talk to others. ;D

We have heavy workstacks at the moment, so ring asap pal. 

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »

Well noise on the line still we went though the line while router switched off and no filter in and it was crystal clear plugged filter back in and router then back to the crackling and static.

He mentioned that he will get an engineer out to do with broadband line (and something else think it was bliss or blist?)... He booked the appointment for Tuesday 1-6pm, guessing with o2 taking responsibility i won't have any surprise or added charges?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

guessing with o2 taking responsibility i won't have any surprise or added charges?

I would not expect you to be charged. If O2 try it, dispute the charges.  >:(

As B*Sheep will say, remote diagnosis is virtually impossible but if I were allocated to attend to your fault, I would carefully check the pair for HR joints.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »

Good shour B*Cat.  ;D

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »

HR meaning high resistance i guess... He said they check everything from the socket in my house back to the box i think?

Yeah they never mentioned any kind of charges should they not find a fault on the phone, however they is 100% a fault on my line and i have gone through every test so it is not my problem  :P.

Edit-:

Oh these are my stats when my line is running at 6dB

Uptime:   0 days, 1:19:45

DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,514 / 20,667

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,304 / 16,903

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   12.0 / 21.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   144 / 6,750

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   144 / 9

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   806 / 9

Just thought i would throw them up here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:01:26 PM by Rocketronnie7 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

HR meaning high resistance i guess...

A purrfect guess.  :)

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »

Well sat here waiting for the engineer and my broadband is doing its usual dropping i hope it does it till he gets here...

I have noticed when its syncing that the noise margin is 6.0/6.5 after it connects for a few seconds then i refresh the page it says -27.0/4.5 i am guessing that's not good...

Posting of mobile as i have no internet all day :(!

Edit-: Just had a call of the Broadband Engineer not coming till tomorrow! The phone was crackling tho...

And now my broadband connection has gone solid, hope it plays up tomorrow or will they be able to detect a fault if its there either way?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:40:39 PM by Rocketronnie7 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »

Well sat here waiting for the engineer and my broadband is doing its usual dropping i hope it does it till he gets here...

I have noticed when its syncing that the noise margin is 6.0/6.5 after it connects for a few seconds then i refresh the page it says -27.0/4.5 i am guessing that's not good...

Posting of mobile as i have no internet all day :(!

Edit-: Just had a call of the Broadband Engineer not coming till tomorrow! The phone was crackling tho...

And now my broadband connection has gone solid, hope it plays up tomorrow or will they be able to detect a fault if its there either way?

Keep logging the line statistics with routerstats. Then either print them out for the engineer or just show her / him them. Everything is still indicative of a HR joint somewhere in your pair. Systematic use of the TDR functionality of a JDSU HST-3000C should allow a HR joint to be found. It will just take time.

As for the -27 dB being reported, that is just "wrap-around" and is a positive number, bigger than the maximum with which the software was written to cope.  :-X

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:01 AM »

Makes sense, he tested everything in the house and was still getting the same problem.

Said he was off to the box to see if they was a problem there, came back and said he found the fault and explained that you have 2 wires and one of them wasn't working properly and was causing the fault so was replaced.

I think he rang o2 and explained that it was a HR fault on the G Side or H,D not sure(I think he said G side) and the fault has been fixed.

So when you guys said it was a HR fault you were correct  :P...

Now i have a noise free phone line and a broadband signal that i hope stays solid now, having to use an extension atm will post results/stats when my rj11 cable arrrives tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:02:37 PM by Rocketronnie7 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »

Excellent news, RR:thumbs:

Just so you understand the terminology, abbreviations, etc --

Your line, which consists of two wires (hence you may read of references to a "pair"), leaves the telephone exchange in a very thick cable. That cable contains many pairs and is pressurised with compressed air. It is known as the E-side cable. The air pressurisation serves two purposes. By monitoring the pressure within the cable, it should be easy to notice any potential damage to the cable and also, if the damage is not too great, the positive pressure forcing air out of the fault will prevent any water, for example, getting in.

The E-side cable will run to a Primary Cross-connection Point (you will see references to a "PCP"). This, in the majority of cases, is the green coloured street cabinet. Within that cabinet there will be pressure gauges to monitor the air pressure in the E-side cable(s) and each individual pair from the E-side cable(s) are then connected to smaller distribution cables. They are D-side cables, hence reference to the "D-side". Now those D-side cables will then travel, often via foot-way joint-chambers ("boxes", manholes in the road/pavement, etc) where there are other joints made, cables tee-off to nearby premises, etc, until they reach their respective Distribution Point (a "DP"). A DP could be yet another underground chamber ("box") or at the top of a pole. At the latter there will be yet another joint in the pair were the multi-pair D-side cable is connected to an individual overhead Drop-Wire ("DW") or Drop-Cable.

At the premises. that Drop-Cable will either connect direct into the NTE5/A or there will be yet another junction in the pair where the Drop-Cable is connected to internal service cable. If the latter, the service cable will ultimately be connected to the NTE5/A.

All of the above is the property of, and is maintained by, Openreach. As you can see there will be joint after joint after joint, etc, in a typical pair. If just one joint goes defective -- a complete fail or semiconducting or high resistance -- then there will be different degrees of problems with either the telephony or the broadband services (or both).

After typing all of the above, I think I deserve a quick cat-nap!  :P

So, in summary, there was a defective joint somewhere in the D-side of your pair. An Openreach engineer found the faulty joint and re-made it. Everyone is now happy, once again.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »

Might print that info out for myself B*Cat, to help me with my days work.  ;D

You could probably do a days work for us, knowing what you know. In fact, I'm gonna run a recruiting day on this forum, as there's a few clever bods on here I'd like to take around with me in my van.  ;D

Rocket Ron ............ great result sir. Please reccommend this site to others, if you hear of friends or relatives having trouble with their circuit. Might save them a bit of heartache, or better still ....... cash !! ;) :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »

Might print that info out for myself B*Cat, to help me with my days work.  ;D

Methinks thou doest jest, sir.  :blush:

All I know hast been learnt by talking to (in chronological order of appearance):

GPO Telephone engineers
PO Telecommunications engineers
British Telecom engineers
Openreach engineers

As for your van, I would be happy to look after it when you go on holiday . . .  :silly:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:25:48 AM by burakkucat »

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »

Haha thanks for that burakkucat i now understand a little bit more on how the external wiring works may come in handy you never know.

These are my stats i have now been solid since and no drop outs.

Uptime:   1 day, 2:24:08
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,295 / 21,243
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,295 / 17,035
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   15.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   7.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   22 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   17 / 38,258
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   17 / 22
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   25,292 / 15

Overall happy good outcome for the customer expected to have to force o2 to get it checked out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »

That definitely looks better.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4