Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: o2 Broadband drop outs.  (Read 14349 times)

Rocketronnie7

o2 Broadband drop outs.
« on: February 28, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »

Hi i don't know if anyone can help me but my problem is driving me crazy and has done for the last few weeks.

I get my broadband from o2 and my line provider is BT, over the last few months i have had the odd drop out but it has sorted it self out and could be solid line for up to about 1 week.

Over the last 2-3 weeks i have struggled to get a solid connection and have been throwed between both BT and o2 while nothing is getting solved, after a phonecall to o2 today they are doing a 24hour line test at 15db noise margin.

I have contacted BT to do a line test only for them to say that everything is fine at there end.

I have noticed that i do have noise on the line but only when the router is connected and if i get a drop out and it is resyncing it is really bad, i normally get aropund 16.8-17.2 download speed but as of now (with the 15db noise margin) i am getting 775 / 11,595 they have tryed increasing the noise margin before but the same thing happens however o2 tech said that they needed to put it to 15db for the actual test.

Also when it is resyncing and dropping it gets the speed of 13-15 and a lower upload speed be solid for 30 second then drop and repeat itself till it gets a solid connection of 16-17 then it could last a day to a few hours.

I am connected to the test socket with a filter and only one telephone in the house then the router that o2 supplied after that.

I don't know if this help's but i will also post my broadband connection stats.

DSL Connection   
Link Information
Uptime:   0 days, 0:25:20
DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,134 / 15,856
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   775 / 11,595
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   12.0 / 21.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   20.0 / 17.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   71 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   7 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 470
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

I am determined to get to the root of the problem but i don't actually want to call a BT engineer out as they state that you maybe charged if they find the fault to be your problem, so hoping that after this actually line test that o2 can say to me its not there problem but they will contact BT on my behalf (doubtful i know)....

Anyone able to help and been though the same situation?

Cheers Trev.

AdrianH

Re: o2 Broadband drop outs.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:33 PM »

Welcome to Kitz  :)

You can hear noise on the phone line when the router is connected, have you tried changing the filter, it could be that which is failing?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »

Hi and welcome,

I don't know whether I can be much help, but I do recognise your description of the problem. If your telephone is noisy only when the router is connected, the problem could be with the router or the filter, or it could be a line fault. You should try to eliminate your equipment first, by using a different filter and if possible a different router (temporarily). If the noise is still present with different equipment then it's probably a type of high resistance line fault.

This is where it gets difficult, because this type of fault is hard to diagnose, and even if a BT engineer is called out there's a good chance that he/she won't find any fault. You need a supportive ISP to get the right sort of investigation, and I have to say that I rather doubt that you'll get that support from O2.

We do have a member who is an OpenReach engineer, and I'm hoping he may be able to pick this up and offer some advice.

(AdrianH posted while I was contemplating this. :) )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:16:52 PM by roseway »
  Eric

Ottersnose

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:22:27 PM »

i'm not sure the noise from the router reconnecting is the issue necessarily.
We use Draytek routers regularly and upon connecting to a new installation you can hear the router fairly clearly over a handset until it is fully synched up (all this with brand new router and filter) (high pitched squeaking etc).

Cheers
Rich

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »

We use Draytek routers regularly and upon connecting to a new installation you can hear the router fairly clearly over a handset until it is fully synched up (all this with brand new router and filter) (high pitched squeaking etc).

Cheers
Rich

But the OP does say there is noise "when connected" and "it is bad when reconnecting" , so there is noise on the line with the router running ......

Ottersnose

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »

Cheers
Rich

But the OP does say there is noise "when connected" and "it is bad when reconnecting" , so there is noise on the line with the router running ......

Yup I see what your saying. Filter change would be the logical first step.

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »

Hi thanks for the replies.

I have changed the filter as o2 had sent me a new one out the router has not been changed, i did have it renewed about 1yr and half ago.

My dad has a year old router from when he was previously with o2 but i guess they are locked to the specific phone line?

When they is no router in the phone sounds fine, but when the router is in get some awful noise when it drops however you can still hear a static noise when it is connected.

About one year ago ish BT done some work on the lines and put a new pole up the phone line didn't work afterwards however the broadband did they had to send an engineer out to resort the problem out however i have noticed that since then i have had problems but no where near as bad as now.

The way the wire hangs compared to all the others which are very tight concerns me i have a few pictures of it.

(Sorry if the pics are to big)

The back pole is the new one.

Both wires between the ring thats on the 2nd post look really lose and the wind blows them about quite abit compared to the others in the street.

Could that possibly be the fault or am i over looking into it?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:16:05 PM by Rocketronnie7 »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »

You can use any router and O2 routers are not locked to a specific line they're only locked to an O2 connection.

To eliminate any possibility of it being a fault on your side of the NTE5, try to replace the router, the cable between router and test socket and the filter. If the problem is still there then it must be on BT's side of the NTE5 therefore not your responsibility.

Do you see disconns. when the phone is used either incoming or outgoing or if it just rings ?
Or do the disconns. happen at any time ?
What O2 router is it and what firmware version ?
Are you still seeing disconns. with the 15dB Target SNR ?

If you do everything asked by O2 Tech then they are usually quite good especially if they can see the fault occurring during a 24 hour monitoring period especially when the Target is at 15dB. With the SNRM at 20dB and 17dB there is definitely something wrong with the connection.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »

Hi, and welcome RR7. :)

Firstly, let me assure you that the 'line sag' is nothing to be concerned about. It's actually better for the cable that it does have a sag, as if it were bar-tight (like lots of engineers try to achieve), then during high winds the stresses put upon it are far more advanced than that of a 'loose' cable. We can sometimes then get high-resistance type faults or even short circuits. I have to say though, they are extremely rare occurences. So, short story, long  ;D don't be worrying about the overhead dropwire feeding your house.

Now, the symptoms you are describing are inherrent with developing high-resistance faults. This could be an underground joint closure getting wet, or corrosion on your internal sockets, even a poorly connected crimp that we use for joining wires together. If my eyes don't deceive me (and they can these days), the DP Block (the box at the top of the pole) is the type that tapers upwards and they are a beggar to slide on or off, especially if there are lots of wires connected, which it appears there are from your photo. It is very easy to trap one, or both wires when sliding the lid back on. After a period of time passes, corrosion will beging to eat away where the trapped wires are, causing a HR fault.

Another cause is if your internal installation is subject to star-wiring and one or more internal sockets are not filtered. This is all guesswork though, and your first port of call would be to locate the Master Socket (the first socket where the dropwire enters the house) and there will be a test socket you can plug your router and into (unscrew the frontplate and remove carefully) to see if the problem still exists. This will determine whether the issue lies inside your premises, or on Openreach's network.

Regards

BS. ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »

Whoops ..... Oranged replied whilst I was typing.

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies, i am connected to the master socket at the moment filter direct into it and router connected there... Have tried it with both phone not connected and connected but same problem where it just syncs and i get speeds of 13-15mb download and drop after 30 or so seconds once it finds the magic number of 16-17 then it is stable.

To answer your questions Oranged.

Do you see disconns. when the phone is used either incoming or outgoing or if it just rings ? Yeah i have noticed that when my GF uses the phone it can drop but it does also drop without using the phone at all.

Or do the disconns. happen at any time ? Yeah just random

What O2 router is it and what firmware version ? TG585v7 8.2.7.7

Are you still seeing disconns. with the 15dB Target SNR ? Well they have tried to increase it to 15dB and it still does disconnect.

With the SNRM at 20dB and 17dB there is definitely something wrong with the connection.

Not 100% teched up with router is that really low or high or normal?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »

You may be directly into the master socket, but are you in the test socket ?? If not, the internal wiring is still in circuit and could be the cause of the problem ?

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:15:35 PM »

Ah yeah i should have worded myself better i have took the front faceplate from the master socket and the filter is connected to the test socket underneath it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »

From RR7's initial post --

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

I read that as the DSLAM uses a Broadcom chipset. Perhaps it would be worth testing with a modem/router that also uses a Broadcom chipset?

(Off the top of my head, I'll mention the Netgear DG834Gv4 . . . it must be a v4, not a v5.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:23:33 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »

From RR7's initial post --

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

I read that as the DSLAM uses a Broadcom chipset. Perhaps it would be worth using a modem/router that also uses a Broadcom chipset? (Off the top of my head, I'll mention the Netgear DG834Gv4 . . . must be a v4, not a v5.)

Just thinking out loud here, but IMO it shouldn't matter what router/chipsets are being used, the EU should not be able to hear the router synching over dial tone.

If it's as you say in the test socket, then I would request a Broadband SFI visit straightaway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4