Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: o2 Broadband drop outs.  (Read 14356 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: o2 Broadband drop outs.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:22 PM »

Hi
quote With the SNRM at 20dB and 17dB there is definitely something wrong with the connection.

The US seems normal enough  the DS is at 17 because its been set to 15db ,either the noise on line has gone down since synch  or that is the best it could achieve during the synch negotiation without going below 15db.

Regards Jeff
zen user

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »

Sorry if i am coming across dumb but what does SFI mean?

I have to ring o2 tomorrow at 3pm as that is when the 24hr test started.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »

Sorry if i am coming across dumb but what does SFI mean?

I have to ring o2 tomorrow at 3pm as that is when the 24hr test started.

SFI= Special Fault Investigation. It's the bog-standard task raised by LLU's for a Broadband issue.

Just FYI- BT Retail do an enhanced visit called 'Broadband Boost'. As I say though, this is only for BT EU's, I believe Sky and Plusnet (?) have, (or were going to), joined up to the enhanced 'Boost' visits but I've yet to attend one from these ISP's.

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »

Well rang them at 3pm today and was told that the line test failed (for some reason or another) also the day before they never even started the line test... I can't get anywhere forward without the line being tested, would consider moving but don't want to be tied down to another 12 month contract with the same issues.

Ottersnose

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »

Line tests fail for various reasons and not always because of a line fault. Sometimes the line test fails within diagnostics which can mean that the test equipment was busy or faulty!

O2 CAN book an engineer without line test failure but it will become a chargeable visit if the engineer cannot find a fault or gain access. They would at this stage try and pass on the cost of this to you, in some cases with a nice little admin charge on top! They should still offer you the option of a site visit. You just have to be persistant!

Whenever i request a line test through BTW it always feels like shaking one of those Lucky Eight balls if you know what I mean :'(

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »

The US seems normal enough

Not for O2 LLU on a 15dB Target SNR it's not.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »

Line tests fail for various reasons and not always because of a line fault. Sometimes the line test fails within diagnostics which can mean that the test equipment was busy or faulty!

O2 CAN book an engineer without line test failure but it will become a chargeable visit if the engineer cannot find a fault or gain access. They would at this stage try and pass on the cost of this to you, in some cases with a nice little admin charge on top! They should still offer you the option of a site visit. You just have to be persistant!

Whenever i request a line test through BTW it always feels like shaking one of those Lucky Eight balls if you know what I mean :'(

I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that you're talking at cross-purposes.

A 'Line test' is a simple low-frequency one shot test, that basically tests the pair of wires from the Exchange to the NTE5 at approx 1.6Khz. This takes approx 3-4 minutes to achieve, and if indeed the line is busy, or the test equipment has locked up, can be restarted again very, very easily.

I would like to think that Rocket Rons line has already undergone this simple test, as it is protocol to do this whenevr an EU complains about their service, be that PSTN or DSL.

I suggest that what RR meant to say was that his line was going to be monitored over a 24 hr period (or longer). This is in a way, a 'test', but not the one I think you are pertaining to Ottersnose.

If I'm wrong pal, then it's a damned crying shame that the ISP has not managed to attain ONE single line test !!!

Ottersnose

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

I'll stick my neck out here and suggest that you're talking at cross-purposes.

A 'Line test' is a simple low-frequency one shot test, that basically tests the pair of wires from the Exchange to the NTE5 at approx 1.6Khz. This takes approx 3-4 minutes to achieve, and if indeed the line is busy, or the test equipment has locked up, can be restarted again very, very easily.

I would like to think that Rocket Rons line has already undergone this simple test, as it is protocol to do this whenevr an EU complains about their service, be that PSTN or DSL.

I suggest that what RR meant to say was that his line was going to be monitored over a 24 hr period (or longer). This is in a way, a 'test', but not the one I think you are pertaining to Ottersnose.

If I'm wrong pal, then it's a damned crying shame that the ISP has not managed to attain ONE single line test !!!

You would hope so!
Are these dropouts detected by O2?
They should have plenty of data available to them including all disconnections and additionally a reason for it although it not always accurate.
The last time I personally had this problem was with an Orange router (Alcatel I think). It would kick me out regularly (via ethernet or WiFi). I picked up a cheap Netgear DG834 from Ebay and the problem was solved!

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »

Sorry yeah i am not really explaining myself very well, BT done the simple line test (3-4 mins to do) and they said everything was  ok... So i went back to o2 and they said they would have to do a 24hr line test which keeps failing.

Just rang o2 now was put through to the 2nd line team and was told that the test had failed again but they had a bit of data up until a certain time but none of it showed drop outs, he said he was tempted to send an engineer out but he has set another 24hr line test away again which he has set up for a 48hr test so it won't just stop and to ring again tomorrow at 4, he said then hopefully they will have some evidence that its dropping out as the problem itself is intermittent and doesn't want to send an engineer out and the problem not to happen while here and him just signing it off.

I did have 1 or 2 drop outs last night on 15dB.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

Hi
quote:Not for O2 LLU on a 15dB Target SNR it's not.

The US Upstream is not affected by the DS target  :)

Regards Jeff
zen user

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »

Sorry yeah i am not really explaining myself very well, BT done the simple line test (3-4 mins to do) and they said everything was  ok... So i went back to o2 and they said they would have to do a 24hr line test which keeps failing.

Just rang o2 now was put through to the 2nd line team and was told that the test had failed again but they had a bit of data up until a certain time but none of it showed drop outs, he said he was tempted to send an engineer out but he has set another 24hr line test away again which he has set up for a 48hr test so it won't just stop and to ring again tomorrow at 4, he said then hopefully they will have some evidence that its dropping out as the problem itself is intermittent and doesn't want to send an engineer out and the problem not to happen while here and him just signing it off.

I did have 1 or 2 drop outs last night on 15dB.

Thanks for clarifying the situation RR.  ;D. Just thinking out loud here, but why on GE don't they always run a 48/72hr monitored test in order to gain as much info as possible ??? The monitoring can always be interupted if need be ???

I personally, think you need at least a weeks worth of data to get some kind of picture as to whats happening with a circuit. The fluctuations that can be seen on Fridays ( eg: 1pm onwards)  through to Monday mornings, can be severe and wide ranging. It all helps with pin-pointing the causes behind problems. A 24hr test, tells the engineer next to nothing I'm afraid. ::)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »

Hi
quote:Not for O2 LLU on a 15dB Target SNR it's not.

The US Upstream is not affected by the DS target  :)

Regards Jeff

It is on BE/O2 LLU....the Target SNR is set on the DS and the US follows it......believe me I had it confirmed by O2 Tech when I was having upstream problems.

If the DS Target is set to 15dB, on re-sync the US and DS will show 15dB

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »

Yeah my thoughts exactally that they should get as much data as possible.

I am missing my 17.5mb so slow when downloading something at 12  :'(... Why do they persist on doing the test at 15dB?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »

Hi
Learn something new every day :)
Regards Jeff
zen user

Rocketronnie7

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »

Well almost 24hrs since he started the test and it ain't dropped still got noise issues on my line looking like its a phone line fault i think :S...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4