Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: matekaneve's line stats  (Read 4042 times)

matekaneve

• Just arrived
matekaneve's line stats
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »

Hi! I would like to know as well if my stats are good or not. I'm not really into these things. Thank in advance!

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   9831 kbps   1003 kbps
Line Attenuation   36.5 db   19.6 db
Noise Margin   10.3 db   0.6 db

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: matekaneve's line stats
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »

Hello matekaneve and welcome to the Forum.  :)

I have split your query onto it's own thread......things can sometimes get complicated if the techs. have to get into an in depth analysis of either or both member's problems, so best kept seperate.

I'm sure you'll understand.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »

Hi
quote ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
           Connection Speed   9831 kbps   1003 kbps
           Line Attenuation   36.5 db   19.6 db
           Noise Margin   10.3 db   0.6 db

I am assuming you are on ADSL2+

with your attenuation you would expect to connect with a slightly higher Synch rate > 10656Kbps ,but that would be with the default SNR margin of 6db yours is 10.3 db ,.Seems as if your target SNR is about 9db explaining the lower synch rate  .This increased SNR target is normally caused by the DLM seing your line as unstable . Have you been getting disconnections ?
Your Upstream attenuation seems VERY low .
What is the uptime of your router ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

matekaneve

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:31:02 PM »

First of all, thank you for your reply! My connection time is 1 day 4 hours at moment although I rebooted my router yesterday. Before that it was up for 2.5 days. Actually I just bought my new router (Netgear DGN2200), before I had a Thomson TG585 V7. With that I had disconnection every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day. That was the reason I changed it.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:11:12 PM »

Hi
Those disconnections are probably the reason for your increased SNR margin .Next time you resynch make a note of your DS  SNR margin that will confirm your Target SNR margin.If its > than 6db then patience will be required ,whilst the system decides that your line is stable enough to decrease The target SNR and improve your synch rate .
I am still puzzled why the upstream margin is so low as with the DS margin make a note of that as soon as you have resynched .
Do not resynch unnecessarily (no more than a couple of times a day.
regards Jeff
Regards Jeff
zen user

matekaneve

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »

Thank you for your answer! So if I wait couple of days, this SNR margin will decrease automatically and I do not need to do anything. Before I bought my new router I tried to resolve this disconnection issue with my old Thomson one and I resynched quite a few times then decided to buy a new one. With this Netgear DGN2200 my connection seems to be stable. Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

I'm afraid it's a lot more than a couple of days. 14 days minimum, probably longer, possibly never. That's what Jeff meant by patience.

One way to hurry it up is to use the telnet interface of the DGN2200 to tweak the target noise margin even higher. This will reduce the connection speed still further, but the big advantage is that it will improve the stability and reduce the error rate. This will make DLM more inclined to reduce the target noise margin. After it does so, give it a few days to confirm that it's still stable, then you could remove the tweaking and get back your full speed.
  Eric

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »

If it's a BT WBC ADSL2+ connection then both jeffbb and roseway are correct.

But if it's a LLU ADSL2+ connection then the DLM is almost certainly not currently running.

Those peculiar SNRM results could indicate an exchange fault.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »

@ Oranged,

And even LLU solutions are almost certainly different. E.g. I very much doubt if the O2 and TalkTalk LLU implementations are identical.

Kind regards,
Walter

matekaneve

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »

It is an LLU ADSL2+. I'm with Vivaciti on the Stirling exchange (C&W). I e-mailed Vivaciti just to have a look if everything is fine. It's worth a try and we will see...

anything