Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?  (Read 63511 times)

magicone

Re: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:11 PM »

@ Magicone,

Perhaps your situation might pose the question of long-term reliability of FTTC over twisted pairs more generally?

Just to cheer you on your way, this is what my VM service purports to provide but I think it might be over-egging the pudding a bit !

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1432483142.png

Kind regards,
walter

Walter,

When the REIN wasn't affecting the line then I had no issues whatsoever but obviously as the last length of cable to the property is copper then it's just as susceptible as ADSL.

Those stats look excellent Walter. I did actually try Virgin's 50Meg service for month but the latency wasn't great, pings were ranging from 25ms-35ms(FTTC 15ms). Virgin's 100Meg service is now available in my area but I don't know if the latency will be any better than their 50Meg service so I am still undecided as to which service to choose.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2011, 07:07:05 PM »

Hi again Magicone,

I agree that Virgin's final distribution is metallic. However it is a single co-axial cable with entirely separate twisted pairs for any phone services. My experience suggests that it doesn't suffer nearly as much with either noise or distance problems. The thick co-axial cables are the main distribution "highway" with the smaller ones teed off to each different address. There are no unshielded components at any place along the network as they use a die-cast box. It's also nicely enclosed in ducting all the way to the house.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/62278172

Kind regards,
Walter

magicone

« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

I actually had both Virgin cable and FTTC at the same time. When the FTTC connection dropped there were no problems with the Virgin connection. My only slight worry with Virgin is oversubscription or congestion on the VM core network. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »

@ Magicone,

My throughput performance is often not as good as the speed tests and has just dropped below 30 Mbps rarely. However I have never experienced sufficient drop in speeds to be of serious concern. It's a joy to be able to download enormous OS upgrades which previously were "cup-of-tea-time". I can't remember the last time I had any video buffering.

I've just used the SCC mapping facility and produced a road cable length, including a short loop-back that I know of, which gives a distance of 677 m. Allowing for the risers into the 5 cabinets en route I'd estimate my actual cable length to the cable modem at about 700 m.

Perhaps others here might have different experiences but, from my observations, the installations just work close to the maximum stated speeds. My main gripe is that VM are unable to extend their services if a new installation requires say a road crossing.

Kind regards,
Walter

magicone

« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

Unfortunately the REIN came back again on the 16/09 which caused DLM to kick in which has dropped my download profile by 15 Meg and interleaving has increased again.

I am hoping that when I move over to Virgin my local UBR isn't oversubscribed otherwise the days of low latency are over!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

anything