Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?  (Read 63676 times)

magicone

Re: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

Walter  ;D ;D

Magicone ....... it's great you've heard the noise (we can only assume it's REIN at the moment) at the DP (Telegraph pole). However, it wont be the pole itself, or any of the wires coming off it that will be the cause of the noise.

Wherever the suspected REIN is originating from, it will induct into the dropwire feeding that premises and in effect, work it's way back to the DP and that's when it begins to affect other Dropwires. Is it possible for you to follow each individual wire off the DP to localise the one thats giving the 'Noise' ???

PS .... you will look like a right daft git doing this, I know as I've had to do it myself a couple of times. But, with my bright yellow Hi-Vis jacket, I at least look like I'm there in some sort of officious capacity. You are just gonna look like you've lost the plot. I admire your cajones mate. ;D ;D

Thanks razpag, I have just been out and had a listen and the sound at the DP is louder than ever and my broadband is slower than ever < 1Meg . I have just been out armed with my radio but I have seen that the DP feeds into 3 other small DPs and then distributes this out to several other properties!

This is not going to be easy! :thumbdown:

magicone

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

Just been round again, unfortunately I think I am getting false readings. The properties on this estate all have a similar layout, which means that the boilers are located at the front of the houses. As I am passing some of these houses the radio is going off, which isn't making my job easy.

HOWEVER I have just spoken to my next door neighbour and he is having the same issues, he is with BT retail and he said his broadband keeps cutting out and thought it was just the hub. I have asked him to contact BT retail and tell him to say I am having similar issues and ask for a REIN engineer. I will pop along to some more houses as I expect them to be having similar problems. The more people I get to contact their ISPs the more chance of getting a REIN engineer quickly. I hope!

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »

Told you is wasn't easy locating this type of noise magic. The REIN team can be at it for weeks localising faulty equipment. Keep the faith though. ;D

magicone

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »

Told you is wasn't easy locating this type of noise magic. The REIN team can be at it for weeks localising faulty equipment. Keep the faith though. ;D

I am posting letters out to everyone in street, do you think if enough people raise a fault through their ISPs mentioning REIN that Openreach will send an engineer out quicker?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:04:52 AM by magicone »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »

Hi

Did you try the check when all was quiet ?
Regards Jeff
zen user

magicone

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »

Hi

Did you try the check when all was quiet ?
Regards Jeff

Unfortunately no it was absolutely belting it down yesterday evening, I will do it tonight.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »

Unfortunately magic, I can't speak on behalf of the SP's and their protocol regarding this kind of issue.

For example, your neighbours could all be with different SP's, which means there would be no 'common point' if they were to all report their DSL as faulty. By that I mean each 'fault report' would be classed as unique, and not commonly related to another circuit off the same PCP/DP. Therefore by trying to request a REIN engineer on what would probably be the first fault raised by your neighbours, I would imagine a bog-standard SFI task would be created.

However, lets say your neighbours each have a task built by their different SP's, once they drop into Openreaches local data-base a 'wizard' will identify that there are 'Common faults' fed from the same DP/Cab and make one of the faults a 'Lead task'. The engineer then rings the 'Common Faults' helpdesk and acquires the info about the other faults which obviously adds weight to the faulting process that it could indeed be REIN.

What you and your neighbours should be aware of though is, if it isn't REIN and the circuit passes all the tests we have to do, the SP may well pass the charge onto yourselves. Again, by that I mean REIN could well be affecting your circuit, but if it isn't affecting Mr Smith down the road who feels he should help you by raising a fault, he may well be the recipient of a £160 bill.

I would carry on with your investigation work, I know there's an arguement there that says you shouldn't have to, but if you present your findings to your next Broadband engineer, it may well ease the process of getting the REIN engineers out. Like I've always said, I,we don't know for absolute sure it is REIN, thats why asking neighbours is always a good way of collating evidence, especially if you can nail it down to times with your neighbours when their DSL goes slow.

magicone

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »

Unfortunately magic, I can't speak on behalf of the SP's and their protocol regarding this kind of issue.

For example, your neighbours could all be with different SP's, which means there would be no 'common point' if they were to all report their DSL as faulty. By that I mean each 'fault report' would be classed as unique, and not commonly related to another circuit off the same PCP/DP. Therefore by trying to request a REIN engineer on what would probably be the first fault raised by your neighbours, I would imagine a bog-standard SFI task would be created.

However, lets say your neighbours each have a task built by their different SP's, once they drop into Openreaches local data-base a 'wizard' will identify that there are 'Common faults' fed from the same DP/Cab and make one of the faults a 'Lead task'. The engineer then rings the 'Common Faults' helpdesk and acquires the info about the other faults which obviously adds weight to the faulting process that it could indeed be REIN.

What you and your neighbours should be aware of though is, if it isn't REIN and the circuit passes all the tests we have to do, the SP may well pass the charge onto yourselves. Again, by that I mean REIN could well be affecting your circuit, but if it isn't affecting Mr Smith down the road who feels he should help you by raising a fault, he may well be the recipient of a £160 bill.

I would carry on with your investigation work, I know there's an arguement there that says you shouldn't have to, but if you present your findings to your next Broadband engineer, it may well ease the process of getting the REIN engineers out. Like I've always said, I,we don't know for absolute sure it is REIN, thats why asking neighbours is always a good way of collating evidence, especially if you can nail it down to times with your neighbours when their DSL goes slow.

I have spoken to a few neighbours now and they are having the same issues, I have posted a few letters to my neighbours as some of them are away just to make them aware of my findings, I have given them my contact details to pass onto their ISP as I already have a case open with Openreach.

I have already spent quite a sum on new equipment, taken off 1 weeks holiday just to get this resolved. The last engineer told me that Openreach wouldn't even consider a REIN engineer if just one individual has made a complaint as REIN usually affects a number of residents. I don't really want to keep taking time off work when it's very unlikely that a lift and shift and a change to on the E/D side most likely will not resolve anything. It's been dragging on for a few months now I am even willing to pay BT £160 to get this REIN engineer out!

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »

especially if you can nail it down to times with your neighbours when their DSL goes slow.

This is the key.

If all your neighbours with broadband, experience the same problem at the same time each day, then that is strong evidence of a localised fault and it's the various ISPs responsibility to resolve it with BTO.

magicone

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »

especially if you can nail it down to times with your neighbours when their DSL goes slow.

This is the key.

If all your neighbours with broadband, experience the same problem at the same time each day, then that is strong evidence of a localised fault and it's the various ISPs responsibility to resolve it with BTO.

The pattern is very clear, it's happening every single day now between 10am and 10pm on the dot(look at first page), I have let them know this on the letter I have posted, and if their problems are occurring at the same time to at least make their ISP aware.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:31:41 PM by magicone »

magicone

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

This is the key.

The pattern is very clear, it's happening every single day now between 10am and 10pm on the dot(look at first page), I have let them know this on the letter I have posted, and if their problems are occurring at the same time to at least make their ISP aware.

Not had a response from any other neighbours yet but a lot of them are using Virgin's cable service so won't be affected.

I am just trying to get an idea of what sort of building the interference could be coming from and what sort of device could be causing it:

First of all anything above 40% packet loss is when I get disconnected and the DSL switches off.

- I don't think it's a street light just because the larger areas of packet loss do not occur at the same time every day(i.e when the street light switches on at the same time every day.

- Looking at the packet loss it occurs from 10am-10pm most days.

- I don't think it's a household appliance like a monitor, Sky Box as I would expect for the interference  to occur outside the hours 10am-10pm.

- Possibly could be someone's central heating, which is on a timer from 10am - 10pm, the peaks occurring when the central heating is turned up? There are no large peaks this weekend so it could be either a business(open Mon-Fri) or someone in a residential property who is away this weekend.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »

Might I suggest you could possibly be more gainfully employed burying your own flexible hose duct to the nearest Virgin Media inspection pit ?
Failing that, would one of your neighbours be prepared to install a second broadband service say into a shed or garage with power so you could run a point-to point wireless link such as this rather expensive one:-

http://www.fvs-cctv.com/index.php/Pro-Wireless-Transmission/CAM-5816H-5.8GHz-Pro-External-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver.htm

Others here might know of a more suitable solution but using one of the newer 5.8 Ghz links would avoid problems with standard WiFi services.
Although costs and complications are involved you would probably obtain a faster and more reliable service than your current arrangement.

Kind regards,
Walter

magicone

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »

I have now received a few responses to my leaflets, some from the next street of people suffering from problems at the same time, just trying to collate the evidence.

houseparty

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »

just wanted to wish u go luck, i have a rein issue, its been going on now for over 9 months, and its still on going.

Ive tested 4 peoples broadband, all effected, but still BT say there is no problem

magicone

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 12:22:17 PM »

just wanted to wish u go luck, i have a rein issue, its been going on now for over 9 months, and its still on going.

Ive tested 4 peoples broadband, all effected, but still BT say there is no problem

Well well well, I posted the second batch of leaflets down to the adjacent street, 30 mins after I had done that I noticed my download speed had shot right up to 37Meg! It's possible that whomever has read my leaflet has noticed the pattern of disconnections I stated on the leaflet and has realised that it's a particular electrical device in their house and unplugged it.

I did another speedtest and got 38 Down this morning, the only slight issue is my upload speed looks to have been capped at 1.5Meg as I cannot get anything above this on all the speed tests that I do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

anything