Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: IP-TV coming this year  (Read 2903 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
IP-TV coming this year
« on: February 07, 2024, 06:23:55 PM »

I predicted this years ago that eventually Freeview would be dumped once we had fast reliable connections.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/freelys-new-live-uk-broadband-tv-service-to-launch-q2-2024.html

https://www.freely.co.uk/
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: IP-TV coming this year
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 06:52:15 PM »

What a waste of bandwidth.  Though I guess on the flip side if over the air broadcasts go entirely, it can be re-farmed to long-range 6G?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 12:21:04 PM »

I'm glad we're moving away from Freeview because not every house could get the full range of channels. The transmitter that is the local one to my town is like that. I had to get a bigger aerial and pointing to Winterhill to get all the channels.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 07:25:36 PM »

I'd forgotten about that as I barely used it so unplugged the antenna as one less path for lightening.

Being on a hill I can get a signal from the local transmitter and the regional one, so get duplicated channels and have to pick which transmitter I want during setup.

If I pick the local one I can get our local station but lose some of the others, but if I pick the regional one I get more channels but not the local one.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 07:51:42 PM »

Freeview has been somewhat rubbish for us ever since it started, so we installed FreeSat years ago. Not sure how long that will last....
We have 3 Humax FreeSat HD tuners, one is also a recorder.

On Freeview it's very weather dependant as to which of two transmitters, both about 30 miles away, "wins" the tuning battle. And which channels are actually detectable/watchable.

That said I'm currently watching Portillo on Ch5HD on my PC with a Hauppauge tuner picking up Freeview from, I think, Crystal Palace.  :lol:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 10:21:47 PM »

My issue with Freeview is similar to others in that the full list of channels is from the Dover transmitter but that is often rubbish in high atmospheric pressure and the Margate repeater only has a subset of channels. IP-TV will improve that but I wonder how many current TVs and recorders will get any new app required to view it. Also wonder if recording will be supported as that is useful for commercial channels as that means we can skip the ads!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 10:24:24 AM »

The broadcasters love managing your viewing through an App as you can't fast-forward through the adverts, only the programs! 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 11:46:43 AM »

Problem is not everyone has fast reliable connections.  Do they need the freeview airwaves for something else?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 12:43:54 PM »

The broadcasters love managing your viewing through an App as you can't fast-forward through the adverts, only the programs!

Couldn't agree more. A lot of our watching is pre-recorded on YouView which allows very easy skipping of the adverts.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 04:39:35 PM »

So true, we have a NextPVR server so we never watch adverts as everything is recorded, sadly I guess this will come to an end.  Will only really affect my wife as literally the only thing I watch on telly is MOTD

Hard to see a positive from my perspective, clever really as it hands over the cost of most of the infrastructure to us. Unless it ultimately ends in a true pay per view and gets rid of license fee, I'd happily pay 50p to watch the occasional MOTD  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:44:45 PM by Chunkers »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 07:12:22 PM »

IPTV is the future, make no mistake about it
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 09:30:16 PM »

IPTV is the future, make no mistake about it

I always thought it would be, I just thought it would be multicast rather than unicast.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 06:44:39 AM »

Problem is not everyone has fast reliable connections.  Do they need the freeview airwaves for something else?
Spot on our freeview is pretty good our ADSL ( with no hope so far of fibre  :( ) is rubbish

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 12:36:20 PM »

I always thought it would be, I just thought it would be multicast rather than unicast.

I've been enjoying IP based content for many years ;)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 06:33:58 PM »

I've been enjoying IP based content for many years ;)

Of course.  Due to the increase in storms in recent years, I never got round to plugged our antenna back in.

There's also the fact when it comes to terrestrial I only really watch BBC so iPlayer has me covered.  When it comes to Dr Who and His Dark Materials, it was in 4K HDR on there, so vastly superior to over-the-air anyway.

But when it comes to live TV broadcasts, it seems insane to do them using unicast, but I can understand why given multicast is just not guarantee to work with your average consumer router.  So feed a single stream to the closest CDN and let that worry about having unicast the rest of the way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 06:38:04 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: [1] 2