Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Huawei DSLAM - Chipset version changed - Vectoring?  (Read 28929 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Huawei DSLAM - Chipset version changed - Vectoring?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 12:30:05 AM »

Mine just changed to 0x459

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 12:39:11 AM »

Still no answer as to why the version numbers are changing and all i know any new firmware change is to make a new product compatible or an older product even more compatible  ;)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »

Openreach Chief Executive Joe Garner say the new chipset is to improvement DLM as a new line card replaced. That's all he say it. He say this is nothing to do with vectoring.

Mine just updated this morning

DSLAM/MSAN type:           BDCM:0xa459 / v0xa459
Modem/router firmware:     AnnexA version - A2pv6F039g1.d24m
DSL mode:                  VDSL2 Profile 17a
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:07:37 PM by adslmax »

Terranova667

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

Improvement to DLM and it giving more speed not taking it away something not right there  ;)

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 08:19:06 PM »

Improvement to DLM and it giving more speed not taking it away something not right there  ;)

it took speed away from me. reduced my ds attainable by about 4mbps and my us attainable by 1mbps and actual by 0.5mbps

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »

By the way I am pretty sure its a hardware swapout.

chipset version is not firmware version, I will check with a contact if he knows anything.

Are you 100% certain on that.   I thought it could also indicate f/w if a major change has been applied.  :hmm:

We've also seen recently in another topic that its firmware that reports the 'type' and not the hardware.  You can also easily change this type of output by putting on different f/w.   See the thread how you can swap ECI f/w for OpenWRT and the modem will now report its using a different chip.

The other reason why I suspected f/w rather than hardware is the fact its done in the middle of the night and happens so quick.  It would take a bit longer to swap out a line card and afaik they dont send engineers out in the streets in pitch black to do that sort of thing.

If BT can afford to swapout hauwei then I damn well hope they can do ECI given there is less ECI than hauwei cabinets, are we second class customers?

All of the ECI's had something similar happen between late last year and the beginning of this year, as the  ECI's have gone from

Code: [Select]
IFTN:0xb203 / v0xb203to
Code: [Select]
IFTN:0xb204 / v0xb204
Do a google and it confirms that v0xb203 was pre-2014, and v0xb204 only started showing up fairly recently

-----------------------

@BaldEagle - Is there any way I can check from HG612 modem stats where it records this so I can pin-point the exact date.  Currently this info is displayed in dslstats, but I cant see where it is in HG612 stats.

I dont know enough to understand what those figures mean and cant find any info that explains it, but I find it interesting that v0xa = Huawei and v0xb= ECI - thats a hell of a co-incidence.   Its also interesting to note that searching on any of those 'types' be it ECI or Huawei all pull up lines which are belonging to Openreach.

Surely if those numbers related to a specific chipset then you would at least see some instances outside of the UK?   Therefore Im beginning to suspect it is something more specific to Openreach than the manufacturers -possibly Openreach configured firmware...

... similar to how the same router SoC will report another manufacturer depending on which f/w version is used.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »

It's the hardware line card replaced Kitz not f/w

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »

Openreach Chief Executive Joe Garner say the new chipset is to improvement DLM as a new line card replaced. That's all he say it. He say this is nothing to do with vectoring.

Just seen this after I typed out the above.   Now Im well and truly puzzled because that doesnt quite make sense to me.   Why would it take a new chipset to improve the DLM? 

I could understand if he meant they rolled out new firmware to support DLM.   

@max.   Would you mind doing me a favour and PMing me exactly what he said in his words?    tyvm.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »

I find it unlikely that openreach would be in my cabinet swapping line cards at half past midnight  ???

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

True! I never seen any openreach attend the cabinet at midnight or after midnight ( never is )

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 11:50:50 PM »

Further to what kitz said, hardware is often hidden as far as interfaces are concerned, software is visible because of either new behaviour or capabilities or because of new bugs. So a software version is often the thing you want to see.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 02:17:23 AM »

Just seen this after I typed out the above.   Now Im well and truly puzzled because that doesnt quite make sense to me.   Why would it take a new chipset to improve the DLM? 

I could understand if he meant they rolled out new firmware to support DLM.   

@max.   Would you mind doing me a favour and PMing me exactly what he said in his words?    tyvm.

A mad idea.
Maybe BT is evolving DLM to monitor different things that are supported by a new chipset.
I more 'intelligent' set of hardware would possibly need a new chipset.
It is the norm that chipsets evolve to support supersets of capabilities that previously needed multiple chips or interfaces to external hardware.
Maybe the hardware is getting 'better'.

I did tell you it was a mad idea!  ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18:04 AM »

I find it unlikely that openreach would be in my cabinet swapping line cards at half past midnight  ???

Me too.  BS is possibly the best to know but Ive never heard of them going out to work on the cabs at night.

The only thing I have heard when it comes to night work, is say if they are putting in an LLU MSAN, then contractors will work in a nice safe cozy environment with plenty of light outside of hours so that they arent interfering with the jobs that the frames engineers have to do during the normal working day.   They also did similar with 21CN - again so they arent in the way of the guys who work on the MDF throughout the day.

----------

Re hex like strings of numbers, Ive not been able to find out anything to indicate what they relate to.   I have however been looking at the following 2 string types

• BDCM:0xa44f
  • IFTN:0xb204

I have spent over half an hour searching and every single one of the partial strings 0xa or 0xb belong to Openreach.   Other countries /ISPs have different strings for the first 3/4 chars.   I did have a list, but unfortunately I lost a post I was making when the server went down and Im not about to search again.

Now if that string related to the chipset on the line card - or even the line card itself, then surely there would be some other showing of that partial string.   Ive not been able to find anything.  I found one which at first I thought was in Italy, but it turned out the user was posting on an italian site but he said he was in GB.

IIRC, ECI only do two types of vdsl line card, so surely if that string relates to a chip or linecard then some other ISP somewhere around the globe would also show up the partial string IFTN:0xb  but no nothing.    Its not 100% conclusive, but it leads me to believe that the string may at least partially have something to do with the SP rather than manufacturer/chipset/linecard.
-----

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »

Hi adslmax

This is to let you know that a resync/restart occurred on your line at 21-08-2015 02:11 local time (+/- 1 minute).

Reason: 0 Loss of Service

Current Downstream Sync Rate is now 79999kbps
Current Upstream Sync Rate is now 19999kbps

These alert e-mails are active by default, if you want to turn them off then use the Options link at the bottom of the MyDSLWebStats window. You can also view your recent Resyncs and other related data in the Resync/LOS data pane.

The chipset remain the same as I don't know what BT doing to my line resyncs (2 last night) and (1 just now)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:30 AM »

@BaldEagle - Is there any way I can check from HG612 modem stats where it records this so I can pin-point the exact date.  Currently this info is displayed in dslstats, but I cant see where it is in HG612 stats.

Using the attached versions of HG612_current_stats.exe and  GRAPH6.exe, the information will be recorded at the bottom of each Plink log & also reported with the pbParams data when a snapshot montage is created (be it scheduled, manually initiated or immediately following a resync).

EDIT:-

I can't recall exactly when the information was added to Plink logs, but it is possible that you may already have it, just not displayed in the montages.

Replotting the graphs by dragging & dropping a Plink log onto the latest GRAPH6.exe icon would pick up the info (if it's there) & include it with the pbParams data.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:45:47 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5