Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.  (Read 450968 times)

Terranova667

Re: G.INP - BT rollout 2015.
« Reply #495 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:34 PM »

@kitz yeah my guess he has been told wrongly that G.INP is on the line, one way to be sure is for him to ask plusnet to post his line profile to see if it says re-transmission or not

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #496 on: June 09, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »

I think they somehow are mistaken as bets are the ECI Dslam's don't support G.inp

Well this time I am hopeful the ECI cabinet G.INP rollout will begin soon after the MK2 G.INP rollout has been completed on Huawei cabinets maybe the 1st of September and this is all a guesstimate.

looking back though threads & post the issue is with the upstream on ECI modems it could be the same for the ECI cabinets just no way of getting G.INP working on the upstream.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #497 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »

@ Terranova, you may wish to edit your post - that should be April not May.   

Suspension for all new profiles was last week in March and didnt recommence until the 26th May.  From the period beginning of April until the end of May no-one new had a new g.inp DLM profile applied.   Including those on Huawei cabs nvm ECI's... even a line that had a DLM reset would find g.inp removed.   The exceptions were those on the g.inp fix trial which irrc was sometime around the 20th of May.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #498 on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »

I think they somehow are mistaken as bets are the ECI Dslam's don't support G.inp

Well this time I am hopeful the ECI cabinet G.INP rollout will begin soon after the MK2 G.INP rollout has been completed on Huawei cabinets maybe the 1st of September and this is all a guesstimate.

looking back though threads & post the issue is with the upstream on ECI modems it could be the same for the ECI cabinets just no way of getting G.INP working on the upstream.

It may be slightly sooner NS.    Although the Huaweis started at the beginning of Jan, it was a very slow start and it wasnt until Feb that they seemed to notch up progression to a slightly faster pace.
I suppose we shall just have to wait see until all the Huawei's are done, what they decide to do next. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #499 on: June 09, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »

kitz if you wondering why openreach put MK1 on the eci cabs? remember this is openreach we talking about :)

simoncraddock

• Reg Member
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »

I thought both HUAWEI and ECI both supported their own native versions of PHyR?
Why is it proving to be such a headache enabling what supposedly already existed? Is this purely a modem problem?
Fritzbox 7490 l Plusnet FTTC

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2015, 10:17:23 PM »

I suppose we shall just have to wait see until all the Huawei's are done, what they decide to do next.

Thats the way i look at it, And what kind of freeks me out it what is said on your forum is picked by other forums members and used as a catalyst so you must be doing something right  ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #502 on: June 10, 2015, 03:35:09 PM »

I thought both HUAWEI and ECI both supported their own native versions of PHyR?
Why is it proving to be such a headache enabling what supposedly already existed? Is this purely a modem problem?

For a start, G.INP is not the same as either of the proprietary PHYR variants. Each DSLAM needs firmware that implements G.INP, irrespective of whether it used to support the proprietary (near-)equivalent.

Because G.INP is different from the proprietary versions, it certainly means that the firmware needs changing, but it likely also requires a change to the DSP coding ... and it could well be that the hardware is not powerful enough to support G.INP bi-directionally (reports that speeds might drop a few Mbps suggest this is true). If the modem is running right on the limits of its capabilities, careful crafting is needed in an upgrade ... and it is likely to take time to get this firmware through BT's acceptance & regression tests. And this could be true at the CPE end and at the DSLAM end.

The second problem seems to be that BT's SIN allows G.INP upstream to be optional in any modem, but they (in an entirely different branch) didn't design DLM to make good choices when G.INP upstream turned out to be unavailable.

DLM was probably designed expecting this possibility to be a rare edge condition, so the engineers didn't pay much attention to it ... and didn't spot the issue arising during trials.

Terranova667

« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »

Just an update tijara was given his line profile and it stated interleaving not Retransmission so he was wrong told by Plusnet that he was G.INP enabled, so he like myself will still have to wait and see what is to become of us ECI cab users.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »

. . . it stated interleaving not Retransmission so he was wrong told by Plusnet that he was G.INP enabled . . .

Glad to see that has finally been resolved.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2015, 06:59:43 PM »

Because G.INP is different from the proprietary versions, it certainly means that the firmware needs changing, but it likely also requires a change to the DSP coding ... and it could well be that the hardware is not powerful enough to support G.INP bi-directionally (reports that speeds might drop a few Mbps suggest this is true). If the modem is running right on the limits of its capabilities, careful crafting is needed in an upgrade ... and it is likely to take time to get this firmware through BT's acceptance & regression tests. And this could be true at the CPE end and at the DSLAM end.

The second problem seems to be that BT's SIN allows G.INP upstream to be optional in any modem, but they (in an entirely different branch) didn't design DLM to make good choices when G.INP upstream turned out to be unavailable.

I'll second that :(

DLM was probably designed expecting this possibility to be a rare edge condition, so the engineers didn't pay much attention to it ... and didn't spot the issue arising during trials.

Someone certainly missed a trick big time not to test using the HomeHubs and ECIs :/
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

Just an update tijara was given his line profile and it stated interleaving not Retransmission so he was wrong told by Plusnet that he was G.INP enabled, so he like myself will still have to wait and see what is to become of us ECI cab users.

Thanks for the update.   Hmmm   its not good that people are given out duff info really.   This isn't a one off, Ive seen it about half a dozen times now. :(
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »

its not good that people are given out duff info really.   This isn't a one off, Ive seen it about half a dozen times now. :(

The reason why duff info regarding OR Broadband Tech gets misinterpreted is because there is a lack of information coming out from the source so i would say most of us are just having to go on what we here and what we see that's always going to end up in confusion.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2015, 10:49:32 PM »

And again a snippet from Plusnet Forums

Just under 1 million (of the 2.5 million lines on Huawei cabinets) have had the updated profile so far as they can only do 50-60k lines a day.

To be clear though, the profile update only removes the automatic application of upstream interleaving, where a line does not support retransmission in the upstream. It does not disable retransmission on lines that are capable of supporting it on the upstream.

who is correct and who is wrong ?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2015, 10:54:51 PM »

Take a look at MDWS
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

anything