Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers  (Read 319045 times)

KPG

• Just arrived
Re: Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and it seems like the perfect place to come to for advice.

I am looking to buy a combined modem-router as a backup. My existing model (TP-Link Archer VR900) has been fine so far - I've had it running for about two months since switching to FTTC broadband - but there have been a couple of dropouts recently and I would like to have a different model on standby.

I've checked reviews online but as you know they vary wildly and combined models don't seem to be especially common. My ISP has recommended ZyXel and Billion to me in the past but I have never used any brand other than TP-Link so I'm in the dark there.

I am not technically minded, so layman's terms would be much appreciated.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:42 PM »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Zyxel modem/routers are indeed very well respected by the patrons here, I have 2 old Billion models in operation on my son's and daughter's VDSL lines also which perform without any issues, that's the 8800NLr1 and 8800NLr2 respectively, both old models now and probably difficult to source, the r1 version being the better respected model.
I changed these out from the ISP's supplied units in order to run the DSLStats utility and keep an eye on their lines performances remotely.

I picked up a Zyxel VMG3925-B10B modem/router a few weeks ago on e-bay for £30 + P&P, advertised as brand new and unbranded, this indeed turned out to be the case, very pleased with the purchase, currently in use on my line in router only mode.
There are quite a few of this model still on e-bay at good prices, just make sure that they are not locked to an ISP as it takes a bit of tech. knowledge to unlock the units, in worst cases requiring case opening and establishing a serial connection, this would likely be beyond your cumfort zone.
The VMG3925-B10B was supplied by a number of UK and Irish ISP's so there are quite a lot still around some indeed brand new as many customers opted to retain their own devices when changing ISP's but obviously took the offers of free supplied kit at sign up.

As a bonus, if you should ever get the urge/have the requirement  to monitor or record your line stat's the Broadcom chipset used by Zyxel permits access via various means with readily available utilities as indeed do the Billion modem/routers mentioned.
Not sure if this facility is available on your current TP-Link modem/router, ie. uses a Broadcom chipset.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

KPG

• Just arrived
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

Thanks very much for that. Time to get on eBay. One problem I may encounter is that my rather ageing Dell desktop PC, which I use for work, doesn't support wifi. The other devices in the house - laptops, phones, tablet - will be happy enough with a wireless modem-router, but I need a physical ethernet connection to the PC (which I do intend to replace, but one thing at a time). Am I right in thinking the Billion models are wireless only?

I believe my TP-Link does have a Broadcom chipset. At any rate my ISP has previously been able to monitor the line stats.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »

Thanks very much for that. Time to get on eBay. One problem I may encounter is that my rather ageing Dell desktop PC, which I use for work, doesn't support wifi. The other devices in the house - laptops, phones, tablet - will be happy enough with a wireless modem-router, but I need a physical ethernet connection to the PC (which I do intend to replace, but one thing at a time). Am I right in thinking the Billion models are wireless only?

I believe my TP-Link does have a Broadcom chipset. At any rate my ISP has previously been able to monitor the line stats.

Am I right in thinking the Billion models are wireless only?
No, have never seen any router, modem/router that did not have 4 LAN ports, some have a WAN port also to facilitate usage in bridge mode or use with a cable system, this is the case with the Zyxel VMG3925-B10B, all ports being Gb.speed capable, from memory, the Billion 8800NLr1 has only one Gb. ethernet port (+ 3 X 10/100 ports), the 8800NLr2 has 10/100 Gb. ethernet ports only.
The Billion models have 2.4 Gb. Wi-Fi only, the Zyxel unit have 2.4 and 5 Gb. Wi-Fi.

Ethernet, cable connection to your desktop PC is preferable in my opinion, no worries with not having Wi-Fi on your PC, I don't either.

The Zyxel's Wi-Fi performance is not supposed to be exceptional by any means, I have not had any issues so far, only using 2.4 Gb, no 5 Gb. devices currently on hand.

I believe my TP-Link does have a Broadcom chipset. At any rate my ISP has previously been able to monitor the line stats
Your ISP will have access to sophisticated server based diagnostics for line monitoring regardless of your modem model, local access to your modem to harvest line stats is a different concept which is subject to access permissions and chipset technology.

KPG

• Just arrived
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »

Appreciate the info.

I always assumed that ethernet was better for speeds and stability, but of course it may not be practical for everybody.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »

Appreciate the info.

I always assumed that ethernet was better for speeds and stability, but of course it may not be practical for everybody.

Absolutely, I thought that's what I just said, apologies if my narrative was not clear.

JohnMcL7

• Just arrived
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2020, 01:21:29 AM »

Worth adding the Draytek 2862? (I have ac version)

Circa - £260
Has BT approved firmware version
G.INP and Vectoring
Dual Band WiFi
DSL and Ethernet WAN ports.
4xGbps Ethernet ports (5 if not using Ethernet WAN)
Chipset - Intel-Lantiq - PXB4369EL - V2.1

Plenty of features.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2862#specifications

Although at the moment I have a question over the BT Firmware with non-vectoring, G.INP Huawei Cabinets. This may be corrected by swapping to non-BT non-vectoring firmware and modem code but I cannot confirm this yet...

The other issue with this as a combined modem / router is it seems to like to be rebooted a lot when config changed are made.  So when making config changes you may end up rebooting the router multiple times and of course the VDSL2 link is resets each time.  This can upset the DLM...

I've been wondering about this Draytek as well given they generally have a very good reputation plus there's a non-wireless which I'm thinking would make sense to separate out to a better wifi system, after reading a lot of VDSL articles the Draytek rarely seems to get mentioned.  I've been looking at the TP-Link VR2800 as well but then read some comments it's not so good with an ECI cabinet but it looks like the Draytek should be fine.

I feel like I'm going round and round in circles with user reviews because any product has a fair number of one star reviews and it's difficult to know which ones to trust.  I currently have a Netgear D7000 which was ok initially (although didn't resolve a line dropping issue present on the HH5) and worked well with Xbox Live services but recently it seems to be dying in its old age and it's locking up several times per day which I know is going to cause me other problems.  I don't mind forking out for something to get reliable performance and that does what I want but I'm wary of spending the money and then having something which is unreliable.

Silverback

« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »

I've ended up separating the DSL link from the Draytek. One of the reasons was the Draytek likes to be restarted when configuration changes are made.  Of course every time you restart the router it resets DSL line link and this can upset the DLM. Using a separate 'modem' means that only the PPP connection is reset and the DSL link stays up keeping the DLM happy. 

Cubes73

• Just arrived
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

I’m looking to replace a Billion 8800AXL router/ modem with a device with better wireless range. The Billion has been very reliable, but WiFi range isn’t the best, and I’m looking to get WiFi in the garden. I do have WiFi in my whole house, but it’s patchy upstairs in my 3 bedroom house. I was thinking about the TP Link VR2800 or would I be best going for a device that utilises the new WiFi 6 format? Ideally I’d be looking to get a combined router/modem that is future proof (G.fast and WiFi 6 compatible), but it’s not essential. I had thought about a mesh WiFi system, but I heard they don’t work well with Sky Q. Looking to spend up to £170. Many thanks in advance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »

In my opinion there isn't really a "future proof" option right now as WiFi 6 is not finalised yet (plus WiFi 6e on the way) and G.fast probably will never happen as FTTP is the priority now.

The only really future proof thing would be to pick a router capable of Gigabit speeds, which is not as easy as it sounds as manufacturers do not advertise what speed they can route at.

If all you want is better WiFi range, a separate WiFi access point is almost certainly best, at the cost of taking up another plug socket and running an ethernet cable to it.  But if you're wanting WiFi 6, best to wait until next year when hopefully WiFi 6 will finally have been ratified so compatibility can be guaranteed.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2020, 08:00:07 PM »

oing for a device that utilises the new WiFi 6 format? Ideally I’d be looking to get a combined router/modem that is future proof (G.fast and WiFi 6 compatible), but it’s not essential.

If you don't currently have G.Fast rolled out to you then not much point getting a device that supports it for future proofing.

The G.Fast rollout is pretty much dead.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Cubes73

• Just arrived
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »

In my opinion there isn't really a "future proof" option right now as WiFi 6 is not finalised yet (plus WiFi 6e on the way) and G.fast probably will never happen as FTTP is the priority now.

The only really future proof thing would be to pick a router capable of Gigabit speeds, which is not as easy as it sounds as manufacturers do not advertise what speed they can route at.

If all you want is better WiFi range, a separate WiFi access point is almost certainly best, at the cost of taking up another plug socket and running an ethernet cable to it.  But if you're wanting WiFi 6, best to wait until next year when hopefully WiFi 6 will finally have been ratified so compatibility can be guaranteed.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. It sounds like I should forget about G.fast. I just wanted to be able to take advantage of it, if it became available in our area. WiFi range is more important, as I’m currently remote accessing my work PC, which can be quite slow at times. The Billion does reach my computer, but 5ghz disconnects at times as well. So looking for a bit more range on 5ghz if possible. I was hoping the Archer VR2800 would help with this. Does anyone have any experience with this device, and it’s WiFi range compared to the Billion 8800AXL? Thanks again.

mavison

• Just arrived
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »

Is there any chance of an update to the original list that was published 6 years or so ago? It seems so hard to search the web for current modem-routers without being swamped by routers with no modem!

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »

@mavison
I was just thinking the same, especially as Digital Voice is the future.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2022, 05:00:53 AM »

@mavison
I was just thinking the same, especially as Digital Voice is the future.

So is FTTP, so arguably you're better off with a good router and a separate device to use as a bridged modem.

Its going to be hard to build a list of combined modem/routers as I suspect a lot of the people who did it before are now are on fibre.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

anything