Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?  (Read 15753 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »

is it true that you get more errors using an HG612 on ECI Dslam than using ECI modem?  Tom is thinking about getting an HG612 off fleabay so he can view his stats and wotnot :)

cheers
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

thomasjc1

• Just arrived
Re: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »

Thanks for putting this up snadge im sure i read it here or think broadband

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »

Let me whistle up an Eagle (type bald) for you . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:33:37 PM »

I have studied a few connections to ECI DSLAMS where the originally supplied ECI modem was replaced by a HG612.

In most cases, after a few days, DLM switched on Interleaving at various depths.
Thus sync speeds reduced slightly & many FEC errors were then recorded. 

A modem reboot seemed to clear the FEC errors for a while, but they usually returned after a day or so.

Overall performance did reduce slightly, but at least the connection could be monitored.

The first few days (before Interleaving etc. is applied) probably show the connection's true capabilities & in every case, performance returned to previous levels a few days after reinstating the ECI modem.

HTH.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:46:31 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »

Gentlefolk,

I have seen one case on a lousy long line where the Huawei substitute dragged the sync speed down from 7.33 Mbps to around 5 Mbps but upon ECI reinstatement even a month later the speed fails to recover above 5.23.
As I need to proceed with care I haven't been brave enough to experiment on any others that are the worst of our horrors.

Kind regards,
Walter

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:36:12 AM »

I lose 2Mbps also when using a HG612 modem compared to ECI, current sync 25Mbps with HG612 with ECI 27+.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »

is it true that you get more errors using an HG612 on ECI Dslam than using ECI modem?  Tom is thinking about getting an HG612 off fleabay so he can view his stats and wotnot :)

The ECI (3503j) doesn't report comparable error counts, so it's difficult to benchmark the ECI and the Huawei (HG612) side-by-side on that score.

The Huawei reports the full gamut: Reed-Solomon correctables, and the uncorrectables: HECs, CRCs, etc.

Whereas the ECI reports Path Code Violations (CV_P) and CRC_P errors.      In the case of CRC_P errors, the ECI reports suspiciously few, and only in the near-end (Upstream) direction, where there are fewer any way.

With an engineered "line fault", and while the ECI /r is synced to a Huawei DSLAM, the DSLAM records many more CRC errors at the CPE than the ECI reports itself.

The challenge is to discover how the two modems could be compared on their error counts.

In terms of line sync rate, it might be said that the ECI has a superior DSL chipset.

However, the SoC in the ECI (edit: a Lantiq VRX268) has a lower clock speed than the Broadcom BCM6368 in the Huawei (333MHz vs 400MHz). This makes the ECI less viable for double-functioning as a router/modem.

But there really isn't a huge margin between the two in terms of sync speed.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:08:01 PM by asbokid »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »

thanks guys :)

what chipset is in the ECI BTW..?

thanks again  8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:26:54 AM »

Lantiq, if I have remembered correctly.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »

I was another user who would see an increase in interleaving when I swapped from the ECI modem to the Huawei one.

However, since I flashed the huawei to the latest firmware (one Asbo made, with a nice new blob in it) I've not had any level of interleaving applied. I've been running it almost 2 months now and I'm keeping an occasional eye on it.

Coincidence? Well I certainly haven't got anywhere near enough equipment (or know how!) to state yes or no. I could have just got lucky this time round I guess. Or it could be a direct result of the new blob.  :-\

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »

I was another user who would see an increase in interleaving when I swapped from the ECI modem to the Huawei one.

However, since I flashed the huawei to the latest firmware (one Asbo made, with a nice new blob in it) I've not had any level of interleaving applied. I've been running it almost 2 months now and I'm keeping an occasional eye on it.

Coincidence? Well I certainly haven't got anywhere near enough equipment (or know how!) to state yes or no. I could have just got lucky this time round I guess. Or it could be a direct result of the new blob.  :-\

Yeah, my cab is also ECI hardware. BT OR installed the HG612 at my place and I was seeing various levels of interleaving in the past, until I somehow managed to freeze DLM with no interleaving through various experimentations. However, I would love to experiment the HG612 with the new blob on the line, but sadly a few attempts a couple of months ago after a line fault was fixed failed to get BT to contact Openreach to get a DLM reset done. Not sure what I can do on that front, probably nothing. Even though the JDSU the engineer showed me said around 90 something megabits attainable, they won't accept that my line can go faster than the speed band of 60 megabits (59995 Kbps sync currently, with attainable of around 90M/27M) due to the estimate saying 58.5Mbps :(.

Other considerations I thought of, but unsure about, were either to contact the moderator team on the BT Business forum, very much like BT residential users do on their own forum, or to move to a different ISP such as Plusnet as it would likely reset by doing that anyway (that is, when my contract ends)?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:02:57 AM by Ixel »

huwwatkins

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

I wonder if the newer ECI modems are less likely to have interleaving/banding applied when coupled with a HG Dslam then a hg modem?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »

is ASBOKID actually making/editing the ADSL driver in these firmwares?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »

Hehe! Way out of my depth, Snadge. There are probably just a few dozen people around the world who understand DSP and DSL enough to do that.    Though talking of driver development, John Crispin, the Lantiq maintainer on the OpenWRT project has just re-written the PTM and MEI drivers for the Lantiq platform.  So hopefully very soon they will be in 'trunk'  [1]

cheers, a

[1] https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/GetSource

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »

Hehe! Way out of my depth, Snadge. There are probably just a few dozen people around the world who understand DSP and DSL enough to do that.    Though talking of driver development, John Crispin, the Lantiq maintainer on the OpenWRT project has just re-written the PTM and MEI drivers for the Lantiq platform.  So hopefully very soon they will be in 'trunk'  [1]

cheers, a

[1] https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/GetSource

so is it possible that what BIOHEAD (above) is seeing is coincidence? if the DSL driver is still the same then his speeds going back up couldnt be related to a new firmware - am I right in saying that?

cheers
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything