Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?  (Read 15754 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: more errors using HG612 on ECI DSLAM?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »

Sorry, I got confused.  I thought we were talking about the ECI with its Lantiq System-on-Chip.

So far as I know, Biohead has swapped the Broadcom DSL hardware driver or "BLOB" in his Huawei HG612.

The standard HG612 firmware has this driver:

Code: [Select]
Broadcom DSL Version A2pv6C030b
Built on 01/06/2010 16:31:25

This can be swapped for the latest "35m" BLOB:

Code: [Select]
Broadcom DSL Version A2pv6C035m
Built on 03/06/2012 17:48:07

Exactly what is different between these two drivers isn't publicly disclosed. Although the driver changelog was published on a Chinese forum but the details were subsequently airbrushed, perhaps at the request of Broadcom.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:05:09 AM by asbokid »

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:45 PM »

Yep.  It could be related to the level of consumption of Shreddies for breakfast.   :lol:

See another thread elsewhere!   ;);D

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »

@ asbo  -  oh i see, so it was a new firmware edited by you that had a new ADSL driver in it (compared to one he was running)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »

The file system of the firmware was rebuilt with the old BLOB replaced by the newer 35m one. And then it was packaged up with the original Linux kernel into a Broadcom firmware image.   Not much to it really. [1]

cheers, a

[1] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/firmware-with-the-newest-hardware-driver-blog/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:04:44 AM by asbokid »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »

in my opinion the answer is yes however the eci also doesnt seem to hold sync as well as the hg (its less agressive).

I am guessing the error count with the eci based on red specks on tbb graphs, with an eci in the red specs are signficantly lower.

Also when I use a fritz 3370 which has the same chipset as the eci modem the error counts that reports is extremely low compared to the hg and that got me back to a fast path profile very quick.

past issues I had before BT did something to my line where I used to get bursts of errors 1-4am only ever happened on the hg modem.

yes I am on a ECI dslam.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 12:04:50 AM »

in my opinion the answer is yes however the eci also doesnt seem to hold sync as well as the hg (its less agressive).

I am guessing the error count with the eci based on red specks on tbb graphs, with an eci in the red specs are signficantly lower.

Also when I use a fritz 3370 which has the same chipset as the eci modem the error counts that reports is extremely low compared to the hg and that got me back to a fast path profile very quick.

past issues I had before BT did something to my line where I used to get bursts of errors 1-4am only ever happened on the hg modem.

yes I am on a ECI dslam.

I've always wondered if the Fritz!Box 3370 has the same customisability that the 7390 has when it comes to adjusting (offset) 'Target SNRM' or modifying the configuration via console, 'MaxDownstreamRate' and 'MaxUpstreamRate'. I was curious today about another thing so I asked CCLonline store if the 3370 was compatible with BT's FTTC service, they said no, seems they know nothing about it I guess (as you're using it, or did do, without any problem).

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 12:45:59 AM »

yes I am on a ECI dslam.

when you say TBB graph your not on about the ping graph you can set up are ya? - because the red "packet loss" results on those are unreliable (I think anyway), it can show small amounts of packet loss when in fact your not getting any, its just not receiving the return ping which can happen for various reasons... busy router or dropped packet, i get them all the time yet if I do pings (100 pings per second for 30 seconds) I get no packet loss at all... so I don't trust those graphs for packet loss, also when you use your connection those graphs will show as a slow connection (as they should)...especially when downloading.. then Ive seen loads of noobs on forums thinking they have problems with their connection using those graphs as evidence, when infact there is nothing wrong... did you download during those hours>? yes.. well thats why..lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:49:22 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 02:38:47 AM »

Testing by 'ping' is pretty meaningless and, yes, I agree that those TBB ping graphs are highly misleading.  :-X

But that's TBB for you!  :P
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

yes I am on a ECI dslam.

I've always wondered if the Fritz!Box 3370 has the same customisability that the 7390 has when it comes to adjusting (offset) 'Target SNRM' or modifying the configuration via console, 'MaxDownstreamRate' and 'MaxUpstreamRate'. I was curious today about another thing so I asked CCLonline store if the 3370 was compatible with BT's FTTC service, they said no, seems they know nothing about it I guess (as you're using it, or did do, without any problem).

it actually has more, in the GUI there is an extra variable can adjust.

the fritz 7390 uses some unknown chipset that doesnt match either HG or ECI dslams the fritz 3370 uses same chipset as ECI dslams and its a newer gen than the one in the 7390.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

yes I am on a ECI dslam.

when you say TBB graph your not on about the ping graph you can set up are ya? - because the red "packet loss" results on those are unreliable (I think anyway), it can show small amounts of packet loss when in fact your not getting any, its just not receiving the return ping which can happen for various reasons... busy router or dropped packet, i get them all the time yet if I do pings (100 pings per second for 30 seconds) I get no packet loss at all... so I don't trust those graphs for packet loss, also when you use your connection those graphs will show as a slow connection (as they should)...especially when downloading.. then Ive seen loads of noobs on forums thinking they have problems with their connection using those graphs as evidence, when infact there is nothing wrong... did you download during those hours>? yes.. well thats why..lol

I wouldnt say they unreliable, I find it a very good diagnostics tool.

a red speck means a momentary small amount of packetloss at that exact moment the data was collected.  TCP itself has algorithms to adapt to packet loss conditions so seeing red specks doesnt mean there should be throughput issues.

Its defenitly not some random one off event either, it was very repeatable, HG in more red specks, ECI in less red specks, Fritz 3370 in no red specks.  Also when interleaved no matter which device I had no red specks. 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »

Testing by 'ping' is pretty meaningless and, yes, I agree that those TBB ping graphs are highly misleading.  :-X

But that's TBB for you!  :P

thats why network admins do a lot of diagnostics by ping, its most defenitly not useless ;)

I manage 100s of servers and they all have advanced ping monitoring to help diagnose network problems.  Pretty much every major DC has some kind of ping monitoring.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

Then we have a difference of opinion.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »

the only comment I will make is that obviously the tbb graphs may have issues with packetloss caused by the tbb side or transit/peering issues. eg. it might be wise to treat packetloss shown during peak hours with caution as they could be caused by network congestion, this is dependent on the isp as well of course as some isps are more prone to this than others.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »

the only comment I will make is that obviously the tbb graphs may have issues with packetloss caused by the tbb side or transit/peering issues. eg. it might be wise to treat packetloss shown during peak hours with caution as they could be caused by network congestion, this is dependent on the isp as well of course as some isps are more prone to this than others.

I may consider buying a 3370 then, was trying to find a screenshot of the mentioned page but unable to find one sadly. Thanks, it's interesting that there's no packet loss at all on TBB graph when using a 3370 on an ECI, if I read your earlier post correctly.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »

I may consider buying a 3370 then, was trying to find a screenshot of the mentioned page but unable to find one sadly. Thanks, it's interesting that there's no packet loss at all on TBB graph when using a 3370 on an ECI, if I read your earlier post correctly.

Yes finding info on the 3370 is hard, as it seems most people with a fritz just go for the premium 3790 modem, but the 3370 is newer gen and does have a better dsl chipset.

The 3370 can do all the adjustments the 7390 can however I have yet to find a way to get telnet access, so be warned on that.  So the only way to alter values not in the gui is to changed a backed up config file and then upload it.

also since the 3370 ships with new firmware, there is no bridge mode, fritz removed that feature on newer firmwares.  Bridge mode is probably still possible but only via manual configuration isntead of a simple tickbox.

I dont actively use the tuning, I just tried it once to settle a tbb argument.  I am also currently usign the hg612, I probably would be using the fritz if I got the bridge mode working.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:43:26 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 [2] 3