Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Can more that one PCP cabinet be connected to a Fibre Cabinet?  (Read 25955 times)

Puppy

Re: Can more that one PCP cabinet be connected to a Fibre Cabinet?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

The yellow box looks suspiciously like the proposed location for a FTTC cabinet. :) The other yellow E probably marks where the power to the street lamp is.  The Cab sure looks like a PCP (Primary Connection Point) and not a SCP (Secondary one) to me.  :) It also looks suspiciously like an UG joint box in the road there, which would be convenient to route the tie cables between the cabinet and the yellow painted grass box that may one day be a FTTC cabinet.  :)  You'd like to think that would reduce the likelihood of other services getting in the way, but of course often there are no guarantees in these things.
Thanks for the picture John, at least it does look more promising than expected.
BTW I am ~150m from my cab.  'Estimated' was 69Mb/s DS.  At installation the full 80Mb/s was available.  What happens after that depends on lots of things, but you have reason to feel optimistic about it, as BS suggests.  :)

Cheers, I'm naturally a pessimist, so seeing is believing, but I have taken heart from all of your comments, as you guy's know what you are talking about :graduate:
Praying for FTTC

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

Beat me to it BS  ;) :)

With my one-finger typing skills, that really is a first !!!

No worries, Puppy. Happy to help and keep visiting Kitz when you can. You'll be an expert in all things T'internet, in no time. ;) ;D

Puppy

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »

No worries, Puppy. Happy to help and keep visiting Kitz when you can. You'll be an expert in all things T'internet, in no time. ;) ;D

Cheers, I'll keep you posted if things progress ;)
Praying for FTTC

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »

@ puppy,

I note that a friend of mine in Cockpen off PCP 27 is not yet allocated any FTTC dates at all - but then that is a bit out in the sticks from you.

@ BS, I wonder if 2 * 50 = 100 ?
The reason for my question is that there were big warnings on the Harlequin planning document for our cabinet 20 at I think 57 m.

Kind regards,
Walter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »

@ puppy,

I note that a friend of mine in Cockpen off PCP 27 is not yet allocated any FTTC dates at all - but then that is a bit out in the sticks from you.

@ BS, I wonder if 2 * 50 = 100 ?
The reason for my question is that there were big warnings on the Harlequin planning document for our cabinet 20 at I think 57 m.

Kind regards,
Walter

That's a very good point Walter. The following is a 'Cut & Paste' from the ISIS Planning of FTTC (ISIS is our Bible).

'The copper tie circuits between the PCP and RDSLAMs must never exceed 100 metres'

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:08 PM »

The following is a 'Cut & Paste' from the ISIS Planning of FTTC (ISIS is our Bible).

'The copper tie circuits between the PCP and RDSLAMs must never exceed 100 metres'

The fact that the plural word, circuits, is used makes me wonder if the phrase quoted is attempting to specify that the cumulative total length of the tie-cables, i.e. the sum of the length there and the length back, must never exceed 100 metres. Hence the maximum PCP - FTTC distance should be less than 50 metres?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Puppy

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

@ puppy,

Kind regards,
Walter

Walter, it wouldn't happen to be Imjolly from the BTcare Communities forums?  At least he has a nice new shiny FTTC next to Cab 27 :'(

I wouldn't say that he is any more "out in the sticks" than I am :blush:

Praying for FTTC

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »

Hi John,

No it isn't but I'll make some more enquiries.

Kind regards,
Walter

Puppy

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »

Cheers, I'll keep you posted if things progress ;)

Some progress to report, Openreach have planned work on my CAB from 11/6 for 10 days.  Hopefully a nice new shiny FTTC will arrive.  In fact Openreach have work planned all over my town and local area in the next month, with lots of work planned.  Can't come quick enough!  ;D
Praying for FTTC

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 11:34:35 PM »

Hi John,

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. There will be a number of tasks involved in installing and cabling up a FTTC together with the tie cables and telemetry cable, an electricity supply and the fibre connection blown through the installed tube back to your local fibre distribution node.
The fibre work might happen at the same time, but frequently not, as the activation work requires a large fibre bundle to be blown from your exchange to the local area and then each FTTC tube has to be blown and fused both in the distribution node and the FTTC.

If you havent seen these operations and would like to see photographs, please PM me with an e-mail address.

Kind regards,
Walter

Puppy

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

Hi John,

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. There will be a number of tasks involved in installing and cabling up a FTTC together with the tie cables and telemetry cable, an electricity supply and the fibre connection blown through the installed tube back to your local fibre distribution node.
The fibre work might happen at the same time, but frequently not, as the activation work requires a large fibre bundle to be blown from your exchange to the local area and then each FTTC tube has to be blown and fused both in the distribution node and the FTTC.

If you havent seen these operations and would like to see photographs, please PM me with an e-mail address.

Kind regards,
Walter

Thanks Walter, I've sent you a PM.

I know that their is still a long way to go, your description of the process is very enlightening,and I look forward to seeing your pictures.  I am reckoning on another couple of months before I can order, and I can live with that!  Just good to know that they are finally getting their (OR) finger out :blush:
Praying for FTTC

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »

Of course, all installations are going to attract different timescales judging on barriers and set-backs. I live in a medium sized town (approx 70,000 people), and it was roughly 6 weeks from when I saw the FTTC shell being erected, to being able to migrate over to VDSL.

Puppy

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:22:46 AM »

Still waiting on the FTTC being installed, they were meant to start work on my cab on 10/6, all the barriers and cones etc are lying next to the cab, but still no sign of any work being done! :'(

Praying for FTTC

Puppy

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:45 PM »

At last, some progress! ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Praying for FTTC

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

Hi John,

It's good to see they have had the common sense to install double ducts but they still insist on obstructing the pavement when they (rarely) have to open the completed cabinet but note the PCP opens nicely over the grass.

I'd guess that you are to be the lucky recipient of an ECI 256, but I wonder how long it will be before you need a second one ? !!!!

In case you wonder, the rod sticking up is the earth rod.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4