Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 88754 times)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »

Thanks for the information BS, I have inspected the house a few times and can conclude the REIN is not from my end.

Cheers,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

Interesting stuff, Interleaving has decreased dramatically, it's the lowest I have seen in a long time.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »

Tonight might be the one that reveals all  ???.

If you see anywhere near the errors/noise as last Saturday night, you may just be able to track it down by wandering the streets with a radio tuned to 612KHz MW or AM.

If it's all quiet tonight, then it's back to the drawing board again for you.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

Tonight might be the one that reveals all  ???.

If you see anywhere near the errors/noise as last Saturday night, you may just be able to track it down by wandering the streets with a radio tuned to 612KHz MW or AM.

If it's all quiet tonight, then it's back to the drawing board again for you.

I'll keep a close eye from 7pm,

All I know is errors have not been nearly as bad this week!

That may be why DLM is making changes, gradually recovering my profile step by step.

The issue has been escalated now so hopefully OR take proper action.

Cheers,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »

Nothing abnormal so far, a few errors but I believe there acceptable.

How many errors per day are normal/acceptable?

And is it normal to get a few errors when the phone rings?

Cheers,

Josh

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »

Hmmm, the DLM capping is quite evident from that, although I think if it were me, I'd be concerned about the upstream errors Josh, as although I know I have a noisy line, I don't particularly suffer upstream errors.  I can't really comment on what is/isn't acceptable for errors per day, just that if it starts impacting your throughput speed or making DLM cap you, then its obviously an issue.

Screenie of my current stats attached.  :)
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »

Just a quick reminder:-

The error counts in the modem's GUI seem to be a bit mixed up (a bug in the modem).
This was first spotted many months ago.

Reported FEC errors are probably CRC errors & vice versa.
e.g. you will see FEC errors incorrectly reported in the modem's, GUI even when Interleaving is completely OFF.

The error counts as obtained from various xdslcmd commands & therefore also reported in the ongoing graphs are to be trusted more.

The ongoing graphs do plot errors from both xdslcmd commands and the GUI, stating where they had been obtained.

US error data is also harvested, but not currently plotted at this stage.
The scripts could be amended to plot US errors though (if required).

EDIT:

Just so I don't feel left out, I have attached a screenshot of my modem's current status
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:21:10 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

Hmmm, the DLM capping is quite evident from that, although I think if it were me, I'd be concerned about the upstream errors Josh, as although I know I have a noisy line, I don't particularly suffer upstream errors.  I can't really comment on what is/isn't acceptable for errors per day, just that if it starts impacting your throughput speed or making DLM cap you, then its obviously an issue.

Screenie of my current stats attached.  :)

Yeah that's right BE, DLM has capped my speeds, due to high error counts in the past, my connection has been much better this week!

so hopefully things will get better, my issues have been escalated to OR, so it's all being reviewed.

I can see your on 40/2 and that would probably explain why I have more errors than you for upstream, I'm on the 80/20 trail, and the higher sync for both downstream and upstream the more errors you will get I believe.

Cheers,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:52 PM »

Just a quick reminder:-

The error counts in the modem's GUI seem to be a bit mixed up (a bug in the modem).
This was first spotted many months ago.

Reported FEC errors are probably CRC errors & vice versa.
e.g. you will see FEC errors incorrectly reported in the modem's, GUI even when Interleaving is completely OFF.

The error counts as obtained from various xdslcmd commands & therefore also reported in the ongoing graphs are to be trusted more.

The ongoing graphs do plot errors from both xdslcmd commands and the GUI, stating where they had been obtained.

US error data is also harvested, but not currently plotted at this stage.
The scripts could be amended to plot US errors though (if required).

Thanks for that Paul, I had no idea!

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »

From taking a look and what I can remember, me and Blackeagle are both with TalkTalk for out isp, we both have a big difference between out sync rate and out attainable rate, could this be TalkTalk capping our speeds? or is this just a coincidence?

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »

I believe that ISPs are only able to cap FTTC throughput speeds.

Any sync speed caps are applied by DLM based on "various" factors such as error rates, Interleaving depth, number of re-syncs & so on.

Possibly BT can also cap sync speeds remotely (it certainly is the case with 80Mb or 40Mb), but if so, I'm not sure what it would be based on.

Occasionally DLM sticks at low sync speeds, even when issues have been "fixed" & requires an engineer visit to get it re-set.

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

From taking a look and what I can remember, me and Blackeagle are both with TalkTalk for out isp, we both have a big difference between out sync rate and out attainable rate, could this be TalkTalk capping our speeds? or is this just a coincidence?

Cheers,

Josh

Well yes, we are both with TT Josh although I think the baldy bird is correct in that its the DLM line profile that is managing that large difference in rates.  However, there is also another thing we have in common, and thats that we were both supplied with th ECI modem and are both using an unlocked HUAWEI on our lines.

The fact that the modem is not matched to the DSLAM equipment may well have a bearing on things. I would unlock mine, which would enable me to see if there is much difference but I would rather have an untouched original should OR decide to investigate my line.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

Cheers,

Josh

Well yes, we are both with TT Josh although I think the baldy bird is correct in that its the DLM line profile that is managing that large difference in rates.  However, there is also another thing we have in common, and thats that we were both supplied with th ECI modem and are both using an unlocked HUAWEI on our lines.

The fact that the modem is not matched to the DSLAM equipment may well have a bearing on things. I would unlock mine, which would enable me to see if there is much difference but I would rather have an untouched original should OR decide to investigate my line.

That may be the case, but I don't think it would have too much impact. It's like ADSL some router's are better than others, it just depends on the chipset and how well they perform with the DSLAM equipment. That's what I think anyway.

Cheers,

Josh

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:57 AM »

Good news, profile is recovering I'm back to 32Mbps again,

Hopefully this is a good sign and things keep improving!

Edit: Just been told that OR was doing some work in the cabinet a few days ago, I didn't know about it but there were 3 Engineers there, maybe there was a problem with the cab?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:17:51 AM by JoshShep »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »

@ Josh,

How do last night's stats look?

Anywhere near as bad as last Saturday night?

Ha - you beat me by a few seconds  :lol: :lol:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

anything