Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)  (Read 89026 times)

JoshShep

• Reg Member
Re: REIN Interference, long history line issue. (FTTC)
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

As it had been up for 8 hours or so at the time of the re-sync, it must have also re-synced this morning.
Is there anything in the graphs from around that time to suggest what may have caused it?

Do you have a continuous modem_stats log you could graph or even email to me for further study?

You previously mentioned you are now logging the stats on a desktop PC in a different room.

Is the modem still plugged into the same power socket as when you did see all the REIN in your graphs or have you relocated it?

I'll send you all I have mate, but for now I leaving the ECI in, I need to learn how to unlock the ECI me thinks!

The modem is always plugged in the same place, Right next to the front door, where the NTE5 is.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »

It looks like DLM is stuck at 24999 k sync speed for your connection as your Attainable Rate is much higher than that.
I'm not sure that swapping back to the ECI modem will "unstick" it.
In fact, yet another re-sync caused by swapping modems may just have made things worse.

Was the modem unplugged at the time of this morning's re-sync (somewhere around 10:00 to 10:30)?

Maybe the front door was slammed which disturbed the power for a split second due to a loose wire in the power socket?

Your graphed stats certainly look unusual & a little disjointed here & there.
Does the actual modem_stats.log file have a gap in its harvested stats around the same time.
Feel free to email the log file itself to me if you wish.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »

Its a silly question, but I'll ask anyway.

Does "someone" regularly unplug your modem to plug in the vacuum cleaner?  :lol:

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »

Its a silly question, but I'll ask anyway.

Does "someone" regularly unplug your modem to plug in the vacuum cleaner?  :lol:

Not a silly question mate, but no It's always plugged in.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »

Got another update,

"I’ve just spoken with the Openreach REIN department; the case has been picked up by dispatch.
This means the fault will be assigned to an engineer today. The REIN engineer should then pickup the case this week, most likely Thursday or Friday.

We are due our next update on Friday afternoon. I did attempt to escalate this case; however REIN investigations are done on best endeavours so the escalation isn’t guaranteed.
I will contact you if anything changes, otherwise I will be in touch on Friday".

Looks good, I'll just keep pestering them and hopefully it gets resolved eventually.

Cheers,

Josh

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »

Be patient with them, Josh. REIN faulting tends to be either a quick fix, or a drawn out affair. I hope its the former.  ;D

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

As Paul recommended I have swapped out the ECI for the HG612 again, and one thing I have noticed is that not as many errors are showing as before, I believe this is due to a low sync rate.

That or REIN isn't effecting me any more? Would OR tell me if they've already found the source of REIN?

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

If you are still "capped" at 25Mb on a connection that is occasionally capable of 40 Mb, I would expect SNRM to be quite high.

At a low sync speed, general errors tend to be fewer & maybe as SNRM is higher, the connection is able to "shrug off" the odd burst of REIN.

If the severe errors only occur once a week, at the same time each week, that should hopefully help you & others to track it down.

The thing is though, all through that big block of errors as previously shown in your graphs from last Saturday evening, your connection remained in sync.

It seems to re-sync at its lower speeds when the graphs suggest the connection looks pretty stable.

Unless the re-syncs are caused by one hell of a massive burst of REIN that happens between the 1 minute data samples, there could be a physical connection fault such as a dodgy joint or power supply issue etc.

Do your house lights ever flicker, or the TV switch itself off, or mains powered clocks need resetting for no apparent reason?

Do any of the re-syncs coincide with switching a kettle on or anything like that?

A visiting engineer may well pronounce the line to be O.K. if the “issue” isn’t actually evident at the time of his visit.

Good luck with this. I hope you can get it sorted quite soon.

Continuous logs & graphs may not be able to prove the cause, but they may be able to prove what is NOT the cause, in a process of elimination.

Nobody said this would be easy....................
(my own connection's issues still haven't been fully resolved since first reporting them last July  >:()

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »

Thanks Paul, hope you get your connection sorted sooner than later too!

Funny you should say though, the lights do flicker quite regular, mostly when powering on the hoover. And we do go though a load of light bulbs. Also the electric trips quite regular!

What could this mean?

Cheers,

Josh

Edit: I haven't noticed any re sync's when using anything electrical though.

The electricity does not trip sorry, when the light bulbs go out the lights trip not the actual power to the sockets
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:11:43 PM by JoshShep »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »

That or REIN isn't effecting me any more? Would OR tell me if they've already found the source of REIN?

No, they probably wouldn't. OR are working for and on behalf of the ISP, and it's them that will receive the feedback from the REIN Helpdesk. They (REIN Helpdesk) of course, get the engineers report first.

You can always ask your ISP if anything has been resolved.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:43 PM »

No, they probably wouldn't. OR are working for and on behalf of the ISP, and it's them that will receive the feedback from the REIN Helpdesk. They (REIN Helpdesk) of course, get the engineers report first.

You can always ask your ISP if anything has been resolved.

I'm expecting an update tomorrow, I'll email support then. :)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

Please keep us posted regarding the outcome (or not) in this thread Josh.

Have errors started mounting again now it's dark outside?

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »

It's not looking too bad tonight.

Cheers,

Josh

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »

My, your sync speed really has taken a bit of a hit recently hasn't it?

That low speed must definitely account for the low error counts.

JoshShep

• Reg Member
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »

My, your sync speed really has taken a bit of a hit recently hasn't it?

That low speed must definitely account for the low error counts.

That's what I'm thinking Paul, my pings have also increased to 40ms, interleaving must have increased.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15