Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?  (Read 64220 times)

magicone

Re: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »

Engineer came round today, based on what I told him he also believes the issue is to do with REIN. Today a lift and shift and change at E-side was done, these are the last two steps before they will consider a REIN engineer. He said he is going to try and escalate the issue to his manager so a case can be made to the REIN team incase the problem comes back.

Speeds are looking excellent now, just hope it stays like this.

magicone

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2011, 05:30:04 PM »

That didn't last long  :( REIN is back and has screwed my speeds up, my connection keeps connecting and reconnecting all the time.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

When looking for REIN with a MW radio Its also worth looking at other frequencys beyond 612 KHz, try the next harmonics, that is 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 times the 612 KHz range. Sometimes the REIN may show itself at higher frequencys more easly. the main problem with this is that you may start chasing all sorts of other noises which may not have any affect on your DSL.

I never had the chance to work on vDSL so I wouldn't know about any querks there. the problem with REIN which I would think is still the case. Is that this wasn't something realised when the whole system of how a dsl fault is processed when this was organised between offcom,isp's,bt wholesale, openreach. So who pays for a REIN fault and how is it accounted for. never mind finding some poor mug to become a REIN engineer.

magicone

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30:51 PM »

When looking for REIN with a MW radio Its also worth looking at other frequencys beyond 612 KHz, try the next harmonics, that is 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 times the 612 KHz range. Sometimes the REIN may show itself at higher frequencys more easly. the main problem with this is that you may start chasing all sorts of other noises which may not have any affect on your DSL.

I never had the chance to work on vDSL so I wouldn't know about any querks there. the problem with REIN which I would think is still the case. Is that this wasn't something realised when the whole system of how a dsl fault is processed when this was organised between offcom,isp's,bt wholesale, openreach. So who pays for a REIN fault and how is it accounted for. never mind finding some poor mug to become a REIN engineer.

I think I have tried every frequency under the sun, but I don't think I am going to be able to find it using just the radio as there are all sorts of different noises I am hearing and I have no idea which one is the cause of the REIN. The good thing is the engineer did report it to his manager and the notes mention the issue as possibly being REIN. I contacted my ISP who informed BT today that my connection had gone again, not heard anything back yet.

Here is my TBB monitor at the moment:

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

Hey,

Looks like we are getting that 1 step closer to a REIN engineer. Why don't you ask the manager from your ISP that is dealing with the case to escalate the case within BTW that way it might get things moving a little faster. Thing about this is all tasks have been completed by an SFI engineer but it needs to be an SFI engineer that calls in to the REIN team to have a case raised with them. You have done a good job trying to locate this yourself but don't waste anymore of your time on trying to locate the REIN cause your not paid to do it.  If the manager in your ISP raises an escalation make sure you obtain a reference number from him which you are entitled to. Have them also put urgent on the case and make sure they are well aware of the troubleshooting you have carried out and that you are fed up with the length of time this is going on. This is about the right time you start to bite back and let your voice be heard cause you don't get anywhere if your quiet!

Regards
Gary

magicone

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2011, 05:00:17 PM »

Hey,

Looks like we are getting that 1 step closer to a REIN engineer. Why don't you ask the manager from your ISP that is dealing with the case to escalate the case within BTW that way it might get things moving a little faster. Thing about this is all tasks have been completed by an SFI engineer but it needs to be an SFI engineer that calls in to the REIN team to have a case raised with them. You have done a good job trying to locate this yourself but don't waste anymore of your time on trying to locate the REIN cause your not paid to do it.  If the manager in your ISP raises an escalation make sure you obtain a reference number from him which you are entitled to. Have them also put urgent on the case and make sure they are well aware of the troubleshooting you have carried out and that you are fed up with the length of time this is going on. This is about the right time you start to bite back and let your voice be heard cause you don't get anywhere if your quiet!

Regards
Gary

Hi Gary,

I am not sure if BT sent out a SFI engineer, he was here for over 2 hours and did a change at E-side and D-side as well as a special test with his laptop and JDSU. My ISP are contacting BT 3 times a day to get an update and are pushing for a REIN engineer to come out. On Friday I had no connection from 10am-10pm, Saturday 6pm-10pm and Sunday 8am-12pm, I am really hoping this gets sorted soon!

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »

Hey,

Yeah it was an SFI engineer. He run what is called an APTS test with his laptop he can do this from the exchange or your premises normally they plug in a voyager 105 then connect the laptop into it to do this test. As long as pressure is being applied the right engineer should hopefully come out to resolve this for you.

Regards
Gary

magicone

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

Hi Gary,

I had another engineer around today, they didn't bother telling my ISP so turned up when no one was at home. The engineer left me an openreach modem as he had been told there was a fault with the modem, even though I have had 2 replacements already. Going around in circles!  :no:

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »

Hi Gary,

I had another engineer around today, they didn't bother telling my ISP so turned up when no one was at home. The engineer left me an openreach modem as he had been told there was a fault with the modem, even though I have had 2 replacements already. Going around in circles!  :no:

coolsnakeman .... I don't think the engineer could have run an 'Appts test' (Laptop and Voyager 105), as this is only for ADSL, and the poster has VDSL (FTTC). Plus the engineer had his JDSU with him according to the poster, so wouldn't need to even if it was an ADSL circuit.

magicone ..... been here many times now in the thread and others, you need an SFI visit raising. You need to get the call-advisor to put notes on the job regarding REIN. You have to hope you get an engineer who knows how to get a REIN task raised by speaking to our REIN team direct. Barring massive influence from the upper echelon in Openreach, this is the ONLY way you will get a REIN engineer out.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »

Hey Razpag,

Good point i completely forgot this was FTTC lol. My bad thanks for the correction :).

Regards
gary

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »

No worries Gary ..... there's only ever been one man that didn't make a mistake, and they put that poor bloke on a cross.  :)

magicone

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »

BT have now responded to my ISP saying they need to do a line test, they will then send out an SFI engineer along with the REIN team. I hope this is the case otherwise I will be cancelling my contract!

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »

I have to laugh, why are they having to perform another 'Low end' line test for ??? If the engineers 'High-end' PQT passes with flying colours (which it obviously has), then no ammount of remote testing is going to help anyone, let alone show anything of any interest.  ;D

magicone

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »

I have to laugh, why are they having to perform another 'Low end' line test for ??? If the engineers 'High-end' PQT passes with flying colours (which it obviously has), then no ammount of remote testing is going to help anyone, let alone show anything of any interest.  ;D

God knows razpag  :no: , I just want it to be over !

lemzip

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:19 PM »

I think its the most frustrating issue to have. I know it killed me and even today i still monitor my router 24/7 just incase lol.

I do hope you get it sorted, it looks like you keep getting closer so keep pushing mate and hopefully it will get there. There is probably alot of users affected, just only yourself who notices, most just turn the pc on and it works (slower but they dont know)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11