Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?  (Read 64199 times)

magicone

Re: FTTC- Possible REIN Issues?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2011, 07:22:46 AM »

Just to update the thread, I have had no REIN issues since Tuesday which means my download speeds have improved and there have been no disconnections. ;D

The only issue now is after the second engineer came, my upload speeds have dropped down to around 1.5Meg and have stayed like that now for the last 2 weeks.
My upload I.P profile is set to 10000Kbps so I am not sure why its dropped from 8Meg to 1.5Meg. Hmmm

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »

TBH, if you've got your full DS bandwidth back, the US issue is really with your SP. Give them a ring and ask them to give you the 8Meg back. There's nothing the engineer could have done to downgrade your US. :)

magicone

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »

TBH, if you've got your full DS bandwidth back, the US issue is really with your SP. Give them a ring and ask them to give you the 8Meg back. There's nothing the engineer could have done to downgrade your US. :)

SP have confirmed they have made no adjustments to my US, both them and BTOR have confirmed that no change has been made to my profile. The second engineer did remove the master socket and did something with the cabling, not sure if that has got something to do with it?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »

What's your upstream noise margin? If it's around 6 dB, then your upstream speed is being limited by technical factors (e.g. noise) but if it's quite a lot higher, then it looks as though you're being capped.
  Eric

magicone

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »

What's your upstream noise margin? If it's around 6 dB, then your upstream speed is being limited by technical factors (e.g. noise) but if it's quite a lot higher, then it looks as though you're being capped.

Unfortunately there is no way I can get the stats, the BTOR active modem does not allow you to access  the line stats.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »

Hi Magicone,

There are ways and means described starting here:-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-INFINITY-HUB2/m-p/13699

Kind regards,
Walter

magicone

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »

Hi Magicone,

There are ways and means described starting here:-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-INFINITY-HUB2/m-p/13699

Kind regards,
Walter

My ISP isn't BT so I don't have a BT Homehub. I am using a D-Link DIR-655 along with the BT modem. The modem is a rebadged Huawei Echolife HG612, but there is no way to access the line stats.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »

Stats or not, if you have the full Downstream Speed that you expect it to be, the issue is with your SP. As Roseway has mooted, it will be capped. :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »

Hi again Magicone,

I'm sorry I didn't have sufficient time to research the topic earlier.

What I was suggesting is to exchange (but N.B. retain the original for BT use) the almost totally locked down BT Huawei Echolife HG612 modem for another VDSL2+ compatible one.
Firstly obtain the username (no password required) in the advanced settings of the home hub (bthomehub@btbroadband.com).
Then substitute a different VDSL2 modem using the IP address from the WAN side.
Hopefully you will be presented with a screen then of 'BT Wholesale Service Information' such as (http://194.74.65.98/index.html) in a browser window.

The settings for the Draytek 2820VN are suggested as:

WAN 2 : PPPOE - Enable

ISP Access Setup Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

WAN Connection Mode Detection - ARP Detect

MTU - 1442 or possibly 1492 or 1500

PPP/MP Setup - Ensure No (Dynamic IP) is selected

All other settings are as they are out of the box.

There is a useful thread here:-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/3820290-the-bt-fttc-line-stats-thread.html?fpart=all

and

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/MTU-setting-for-BT-Infinity/td-p/29863

N.B. I have edited and extrapolated the above notes from the links mentioned as a first draft and without access to any BT Infinity service.
I hope others here might provide further ideas or better instructions as it's obviously going to become important.

IMHO it is quite disgraceful that end users with an understanding of modem technology are prevented from examining the modem statistics to assist in line improvement.
It seems as if the expected "solution" is to prohibit the use of a VDSL2+ service if it can't achieve the minimum specification **, rather than attempt proper repairs.
Given the condition of many of the longer lines, a genuine attempt must be made to improve them or else others must provide full FTTP instead.
** Furthermore many BT O Engineers will be familiarising themselves with the real-world effects of this new technology and I'm disappointed that other sources of help seem to be deliberately excluded.

Perhaps the situation will improve once a few more solutions such as those from Vtesse Networks and Rutland Telecom are commissioned?

Kind regards,
Walter

(P.S. If any in Cotton Park Rugby are fed up waiting for the twice times delayed Infinity product, there is probably a readily available substitute for them !)

magicone

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »

Thanks, there are a few alternative VDSL2 modems on the market, however looking at what is out there currently they are quite expensive. I can see the advantage of extracting the line stats and will probably buy a VDSL modem/router in the future once the price drops. I will chase up my ISP to see what the issue is, I am sure that a cap was put on the line by OR as my upload speed dropped from 8 Meg to 1.5Meg straight after the engineer left.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »

OR can't apply 'caps' magic, just your SP or BTw.

magicone

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »

OR can't apply 'caps' magic, just your SP or BTw.

My ISP have said that no such 'cap' has been put on the line, as I have said this only occurred straight after a profile/line reset was done by OR. I just presumed it would take a while to increase but has been like that ever since. Will just wait and see what my ISP comes back with.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

a profile/line reset was done by OR

I'm open to correction, but I don't think OR does that either. OR is responsible for the physical connection, not the services running on it.
  Eric

magicone

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2011, 01:20:57 PM »

I have had my profile reset 3 times, the engineers all rang their mobiles and spoke to someone( I presumed OR?) and asked for the line reset to be done, I remember on the first visit my I.P profile (down) was 22676Kbps and after the reset on over the phone was done it was back up to 38717Kbps. I am not sure who the engineers spoke to though.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »

roseway is again 100% correct. We only 'deal' with the physical connection from HDF (SP's equipment termination point) through to EU's premises. The engineers perform co-op calls with either BTw, or whatever SP's number is on the job given to the engineer, to have the capping removed. This process has actually just undergone a change, and we cannot now ask for 'capping removal' unless the circuit is running at under 1meg speed, or if the line is over 5.5Km.
I reiterate ..... your Upstream WILL be capped. only your SP can remove it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11