Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Freeview 'Re Tune'  (Read 32592 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Freeview 'Re Tune'
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »

Sorry to hear it's giving you grief, Kitz.

I got the phone call from my parents the other day, that I'd been expecting since the big retune a few weeks ago.  Their HDD recorder "wouldn't record anymore".  It turned out, of course, that it needed retuned.

Oh god...  its just this moment clicked that I bet the one on the media center box doesnt work now either.....  nor the HDD box.
I'd forgotten about them..  I was just trying to get the TVs working again  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »

What a mess,

Is the Freview a box or is it buit into the TV?What make is it?

Is there not a helpline for this kind of thing,you would think so as it affects millions of users

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »

The best help line site I've found is at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/connections__and__retuning/retuning_instructions which may be useful. The link to http://www.tvretune.co.uk/productmanuals/ looks quite promising too. It does seem extraordinary to me that  the technical driving force behind terrestrial digital TV whoever that may be, did not initially stress the need for easy retuning in the initial spec. for receivers. They obviously saw the need for multiple channel adjustments during the changeover but failed to make proper provision for it.  As an old TV transmitter man all I can say is "It wouldn't have happened in my day!". Goes to cry in beer.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »

OK Im really really peed off now.   The best part of 4 hours and I still have a TV that I cant seem to retune properly.

The TV is a Hyundai E3200.

Ive got the manual out and does it tie up with what I can actually access?
Does it hellers like!

According to the manual there should be An AutoStore and Manual Store under Menu > Channel > Country.

Can I find either of them?   Nope I cant.

TV is gonna go out the pigging window any minute now...  I dont have time to mess around like this.

* kitz is angry,...   I best leave it alone now :angry: :mad:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 01:08:21 PM »

For older people I have heard good reports of the Switchover Help Scheme which is at http://www.helpscheme.co.uk/ and will actively help eligible people to retune. Several members in my retirement association have used it successfully and for elderly relatives it may save you a journey. The fact that it has been used by our members only emphasises what a minefield this is when I tell you our retirement association used to be called the Independent Broadcasting Authority Retirement Association!
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

With regards to your manual re-tune.

Before the switchover.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/multiplexes.shtml
The multiplex names and some of the channel locations are different after switchover.

After the switchover.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/multiplexes_dso.shtml

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »

For older people I have heard good reports of the Switchover Help Scheme which is at http://www.helpscheme.co.uk/

Thanks a lot Tony, I'm going to pass that on to my parents and tell them to spread the word, they live if a block of flats largely populated by the extreme elderly.

it may save you a journey.

It's the best part of 400 miles so visiting them to sort stuff like this is not an option.  My usual tactic is to download the user manual for whatever they need help with,  then talk them through it  over the phone,  so I can refer them to exact page and paragraph numbers.  Even so, you'd be surprised how much scope for misunderstanding still remains, and how annoying it can be for me to lose a big chuck of a Sunday afternoon in the process.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »

OK I am not happy.

After hours of messing and searching I found a contact number for Hyundai Imagequest TVs in the UK.   In case anyone else is having difficulties the contact number is:

RepairTech Ltd  Unit 5, Westfield Road, Southam, Warwickshire, CV47 0JH 
Tel:  0871 855 3171

Well I rang them..  the response is that there is nothing they can do and there is no firmware or anything that can be done.  Apparently these TVs do not support UK freeview and therefore wont work properly after digital switch-over as they were manufactured before the digital switch-over.

Like I say - not happy - I bought this TV to replace an old one that worked perfectly well... but it was bought in anticipation of digital.
Gonna contact ebuyer support to see what happens next.

-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 03:40:26 PM »

:sick:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »

Gee, Kitz, that's bad   :o

I do suspect there'll be plenty more examples of this to follow, however.  The industry body responsible for setting standards for set makers in the uk is the Digital TV Group (dtg.org.uk).  The information is published in the so-called 'D-Book', but the contents of D-Book are a closely guarded secret not available to the general public.

Earlier in the year I had to investigate a fault in one of my own TV items (I had to investigate it myself because Sony refused to).  In that case, it turned out that the D-Book was vague, and the setmakers had interpreted it one way, the broadcaster another.  The broadcaster eventually agreed to change so 'all was OK'.

..Except all wasn't OK at all.  The point that everybody failed to appreciate was that the D-Book seems to have been written with a total lack of thought of forwards-compatibility.  For example, if a comms protocol has a few unused bits somewhere, the standards committee  will usually specify these bits 'must be set to zero' by the sender, and they 'must be ignored' by the received.  That allows said bits to be assigned some purpose in future, without breaking existing equipment.  D-Book has none of that.  In my case, 'spare' bits were being set by the broadcaster, in a field that governs the picture aspect ratio.  If Sony had ignored these bits, as many sets did, all would have been well but.  Instead, Sony placed their own interpretation of the spare bits, causing it to display pictures in the wrong aspect ratio..

Since DTG don't specify that spare bits MUST be ignored, Sony can wash their hands and say 'no bug in our set'.  But if DTG ever decide to use these bits then certain Sony equipment, still on sale today, will be dead in the water.  A few other manufacturers are implicated too.

I only got to see a few pages of the D-Book (bootleg copies from a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend), but the slap-dash design approach I saw in these pages absolutely horrified me.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »

Ebuyer - Guy was really nice and sympathetic.   Unfortunately it is just out of their warranty by 2.5 months so he referred it up to see if there was anything they could do.

But nope..  since the TV works fine and its just the freeview tuner, then there is nothing they can do but recommend I get a set-top box.
This is so damn annoying I bought the TV and built the media centre in the the hope of having a future proof system....  but now Im gonna have to go back to a set top box to get it to work properly.

Ok so now Ive wasted practically most of the day trying to find a solution...  I guess I should go back to the upstairs TV and try sort out whatever has happened with regards to people in the winterhill area only being able to pick up BBC Wales.   :'( :'(

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

That's terrible, and it's another knock to my confidence in EBuyer. They sold you something three months ago which was not fit for purpose (in my opinion) and the fact that they only gave a 2.5 month warranty doesn't take away your normal legal rights. But battling these things out can be exhausting and frustrating. :wall:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2009, 04:30:22 PM »

That's terrible, and it's another knock to my confidence in EBuyer. They sold you something three months ago which was not fit for purpose (in my opinion) and the fact that they only gave a 2.5 month warranty doesn't take away your normal legal rights. But battling these things out can be exhausting and frustrating. :wall:

I remember Kitz buying a new set a short while ago......is the the same set we are talking about ?

iirc she had a lot of probems with various sets(see this thread)

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,4864.0.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »

The TV set is 2.5 months outside of warranty.. so theres nothing that they can do.

Help... please does anyone know how or where I can get the frequencies I need to find

BBC1
BBC2
BBC3
BBC4
ITV (Granada).

I seem to be searching fruitlessly for the information that I need to put in to be able to do a manual retune.
Im in the granada region being served by the WinterHill transmitter.

The info I need to put in my TV is

Network = Europe
Channel = I designate the channel number
Frequency =  ????
Tx Mode = ????  (Auto???)
Bandwidth (8MHz ????)

-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

anything