Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Freeview 'Re Tune'  (Read 32564 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Freeview 'Re Tune'
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »

Kitz
I don't suppose you recall if the set had the Digital "Tick" logo on it. This was supposed to let you avoid problems like this that cropped up in the last round of channel changes. It would be worth contacting digitaluk.co.uk to ask them if there is a solution. Some problems can be cured with a software update either overair or via a serial link, which is what I had to do, and they may be able to help you. In the meantime I am contacting my mole in the industry to see what he can offer. At the very least I'm sure I can find the Channel frequencies.
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »

Kitz
 There is a very comprehensive page at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD660144 which also includes all the new channel frequencies and thousands of complaints! My mole has still to answer my query.
Tony

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 06:35:47 PM »

Sorry it's all double-Dutch to me, but is this any help?

Transmission frequencies

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD660144

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »

I'm puzzled about the warranty, I was under the impression that you normally have 12 months, and I believe there is an EU ruling (cant find it right now) which states 24 months. Anyway I'd expect you to have a good case under the UK consumer protection legislation as the goods are obviously not fit for purpose, I dont think under the circumstances it matters that the goal posts are debatable as that should be sorted by the manufacturer when designing the TV.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »

I'm puzzled about the warranty, I was under the impression that you normally have 12 months, and I believe there is an EU ruling (cant find it right now) which states 24 months. Anyway I'd expect you to have a good case under the UK consumer protection legislation as the goods are obviously not fit for purpose, I dont think under the circumstances it matters that the goal posts are debatable as that should be sorted by the manufacturer when designing the TV.

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/index_en.htm

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=31999L0044&model=guichett

See 17.

(17) Whereas it is appropriate to limit in time the period during which the seller is liable for any lack of conformity which exists at the time of delivery of the goods; whereas Member States may also provide for a limitation on the period during which consumers can exercise their rights, provided such a period does not expire within two years from the time of delivery; whereas where, under national legislation, the time when a limitation period starts is not the time of delivery of the goods, the total duration of the limitation period provided for by national law may not be shorter than two years from the time of delivery;
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:50:50 PM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »

Kitz
 There is a very comprehensive page at http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SD660144 which also includes all the new channel frequencies and thousands of complaints! My mole has still to answer my query.
Tony

Thanks... Ive found something on there that is helping.   Ive now got BBC1, BBC2 and ITV1 on the downstairs TV.  I cant seem to get BBC3 or the rest so far...  but at least its a start.   Its going to take me a while though to work through and assign what I do have so far to the correct order.

Havent managed to suss the upstairs tv yet, but that was less urgent as I do seem to have all the channels, but just coming through in welsh.

Youre not kidding about the thousands of complaints...   and no-one seems to have found a hardfast solution that fits all as yet.
What a mess.

I had a new ariel fitted last summer in anticipation...   I phoned them up and the woman  I spoke to said they are swamped with calls today.   But if I want to call them out its gonna cost.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »

>> I'm puzzled about the warranty,

Sorry I thought I cleared that up with an earlier post..  its 2 months outside warranty.  It was bought in Sept 2007 and just outside the 2yr warranty.

Im not sure yet, but I think I may have found a partial way around some of it..  it is just going to take me a while to manually change and re-order about 78 channels..  and Ive still got some missing so far which I cant seem to find as yet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2009, 07:53:51 PM »

It is possible that some of the changeover work isn't complete yet no matter what they intended. What's more I haven't yet found any way of getting up to date information. What I mean is perhaps some of the Channels are not radiating yet. It might be worth asking your neighbours.
Tony

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2009, 08:36:06 PM »

Sorry I thought I cleared that up with an earlier post..  its 2 months outside warranty.  It was bought in Sept 2007 and just outside the 2yr warranty.

Sorry I misinterpreted what was being said. More than 2 years old is a problem.

I doubt the aerial has anything to do with it, either the transmission is messed up or its a problem with the Freeview tuner.

Wondering now if this is a problem which will hit more of us in the future....
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »

I think people are thinking about the TV with DVD player that you brought a few months ago.
"The one that had to be returned etc"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

Yes, you're right OF. That was what I was thinking of.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:53 AM »

The one I  bought earlier this year for upstairs kinda went okish aside from the Wales problem.. Well all I had to do was clear out the old list and then rescan.  However I still can only pick up BBC wales on that one.
Theres literally thousands of people complaining about being only able to get BBC Wales...  some people have found ways around this either by doing a complete clear out of the list or factory reset.  Neither worked for me.   The other suggested options are using an attenuator (which I havent got).

-----
The Hyundai TV in the lounge is the one that had the real problems and the one that is supposedly unfixable. 
But after hours and hours of messing today (Ive only just finished) I do have a workable TV that has some channels missing.   I have manually scanned for each and every channel - and then had to put them in the correct order.

I couldnt find a list anywhere that gave all the information together, but Ive made a spreadsheet of my progress so far and what Ive managed to get.   Its not actually too bad..  and ironically on the set downstairs Ive managed to actually get the correct BBC region.   There are still some gaps, but I'll try rescanning some channels such as CBBC etc when they are on air tomorrow.

The downside is that these changes wont be permanent and if I ever do an automated scan again it will wipe out this afternoons hard work of getting the tv to work.  But the main thing is that I do have a TV that I can watch most of the main channels on.

I'll attach the spreadsheet that I've made out this afty..   it may help someone else.

edit I cant upload an .xls  will host it somewhere later.

-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2009, 12:33:54 AM »

Kitz
You have probably already noticed the news of the lack of some ITV channels if you receive off a transponder rather than the main Winter Hill Transmitter. Could this be part of your problems?
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »

Kitz,

I have a Goodmans Freeview box which I stopped using last week (sky installed)

If it can be of any use to you your welcome to it (foc)  :)

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »

The retune at Winter Hill was completed by Wed afternoon.  You can find the MUX channels (if you want to do a manual retune and avoid the Wales transmitter) by going to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ and enter your postcode and house number in the box on the right AND ALSO tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box.  The problems are also being discussed on the Radio and Telly Forums (which do good links to most box manufacturers) - see http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/index.html

Hope this helps  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7