Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Netgear DGN2000  (Read 21766 times)

orainsear

• Reg Member
Netgear DGN2000
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:30:52 AM »

Has anyone got one of these?  It was being suggested that they might be using a Connexant chipset but while browsing the DGTeam forum I discovered that someone on there has taken one to bits and that it uses a Broadcom BCM634SS chipset (probably a BCM6348 iteration) so tweaking should be possible with it (there is custom DGTeam firmware available too).  Here's a direct link to an image showing the internals.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Netgear DGN2000
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »

I don't know the answer, but I'm quite impressed with DGTeam, and they confirm that it's a Broadcom chipset. If I had a DGN2000 I would certainly give their firmware a go; if it's like the DG834GT firmware it will support tweaking directly in the web interface.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

I've been interested in this router for a while - the fact it uses a potentially tweakable Broadcom chipset and has wireless N makes it quite an attractive prospect, but I'm still a bit unsure about it's QoS features; it's touted as having QoS capabilities but how extensive they are is unclear - I am wondering if it's a very basic automatic function to prioritise VoIP etc.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »

They're using the Broadcom chipset for both the wireless and the modem. The wireless has an issue currently, however it will be addressed with the new firmware.

We have performed base testing here in the office and it does look to be promising. I have 2 on sites and they are currently being tested. All in all not a bad modem/router. Netgear have done it this time...

PS: It also looks quite nice.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »

Has anyone got one of these?

No I havent I'm afraid - but its one router that I've been saying for a lil while that I'd like to test. 

PS - it looks sexi  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »

PS - it looks sexi  :D

If you put the antena's togther, it goes really well as a black purse with and LBD  :D

Not that any of us here have tried or thought about it  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »

This is basically a DG834GT with wireless N isn't it?
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »

This is basically a DG834GT with wireless N isn't it?

It's probably a bit closer to being a DG834Gv4 with wireless N - even the pcb layouts are reasonably similar.

Also I've read that the DGN2000 doesn't come with the plastic clip on stands?  Bad move from Netgear if this is the case.

Azzaka - any comments on the performance, and is there any editable QoS functionality?

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

QoS we are still looking at, as for Performance, i would rate it as one of the most stable modems that i have had the pleasure of using. We ran the setup and were connected with 30secs. Over a period of a week, the modem laughed at the fluctuating SNR margin and held a stable connection, with the highest sync speed we have seen on our test lines.

Compared to the GT just for the DSL, i would go so far as to say 'Netgear Got it right.' The wirless does have an issue, however with the release of a new firmware i would like to reserve my judgement. All in add the WDS features and it really a bloody good replacement for the DG834 serires modems.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »

I treated myself to a DGN2000 for Christmas, and flashed it with the DGTeam firmware. I set the "SNR percentage" slider to the minimum value, which brought my target noise margin down from 15 dB to about 9 dB. I then left it running for 24 hours.

My impression was that the performance was not as good as the DG834GT - there were a couple of unexplained re-syncs, and the noise margin graph as shown in Routerstats appeared to be more jittery. So I put back the DG834GT (with identical settings) to get a straight comparison. The DG834GT connected at a higher speed with the same noise margin, and the noise margin graph was much less jittery - see the screenshots below (the left half is the DGN2000, the right half is the DG834GT).

So my initial conclusion is that the DG834GT has better performance than the DGN2000 on my line, at this time. Of course it's not an entirely fair comparison because I'm using unofficial firmware. I will have a go with the official firmware at some time, but at the moment the DGTeam firmware offers features which I want to retain, so I'll stick with the DG834GT.

Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »

I got myself one too.  So far it seems reasonable enough but ADSL performance is nothing outstanding.  There's no obvious QoS functionality and no clip on feet  ::)  I can see a lot of failures due to the heat with this device.  Fortunately the old clip on feet fit it though.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »

I found this old thread after a Google search as I was looking for reports on this router.

So nearly a year on are you still using it and what do you now think about it?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 08:02:49 AM »

Mine is gathering dust on a shelf I'm afraid.
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »

Mine is gathering dust on a shelf I'm afraid.

Did you put the updated firmware on it?

The new F/W has made a big difference to the stabilty of the Modem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

Did you put the updated firmware on it?

The new F/W has made a big difference to the stabilty of the Modem.

No, and at the moment the 2700HGV is working so well :fingers: that I'm rather loath to rock the boat by changing routers.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2