Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Power cut yesterday  (Read 4915 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Power cut yesterday
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

Good ideas OF - might do that myself. We don't get many power cuts though, just one in the six years and a bit we've been here.
Not necessarily if you don't get many power cuts, because to be honest (being the tight devil that I am) I also begrudge the 30 Watt power consumption running 24/7, "just on the off chance".

If it wasn't for the laptop usage then I probably wouldn't bother with it.
And besides, a nice candle lit room with a good mag "PC obviously" can have a nice feeling to it.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »

Know what you mean about the nice feeling to 'roughing' it by candlelight.

At 30 watts, I'll rough it.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »

At 30 watts, I'll rough it.

I understand what you say, but what I didn't mention is that this is not just a 1off 30 watt situation.

2 off USB supplies
1 off Emergency light fitting
3 off Motion detector 300 watt flood lamps.

plus 14 other various pieces of equipment plugged-in around the house, all of which are running 24/7,
so at some point a line has to be drawn as to whether or not it is necessary or really needed.
(I like my gadgets)

I know that individually they may not consume much power, but when added together thats a different matter.
(And that does not include any of my PC equipment)

Need or Want:-
Do I need it or just plain want it?

scottiesmum

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

I find  our electrical equipment very useful  sometimes in the  night .....  having shutters to all windows and doors it would be pitch black, (in fact it would be pitch black without shutters  as  we have no street  lighting ........... only the moon !!! )      instead it's like fairlyland .....   8)

PS.   we have a generator just in case !!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:10:41 PM by scottiesmum »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

OF - you say that you have a UPS for the laptop .......  is that otherwise known as the 'battery'?   ;)
Paul

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Well I may of solved the rechargeable torch but.
As this will do for most of the time I will want to use it.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_5800.htm

OF - you say that you have a UPS for the laptop .......  is that otherwise known as the 'battery'?   ;)
Why yes of course.
"The battery inside the UPS.  :lol:

Actually I never have the battery in my laptop, I only put it in if taking it away from home.
I only ever use it on the mains supply.

I "once" brought a battery for my old HP laptop which was a fair bit over a £100.00
Unfortunately at some early stage I left it on charge getting on for a week and it never worked again on the battery.
Ever since then I always advocate to people that they remove the battery if being used for any prolonged time.

However it's quite possibly that not all laptops may work this way, but I have not come across one yet with all my friends lappy's which probably amounts to 7 or 8 different makes.

(There is a thread/post from some time back outlining this also)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

We have the odd power cut every so often, but I have a UPS in the living room for the laptop, so I just plug the table lamp into that (yes, with one of those energy saving type lamps).
I recently also fitted a emergency light fitting that comes on automatically if there is a power-cut.
So next time all my neighbours will be wondering whats going on.  :lol: :P :P
Well it happened today, all the power went of for about 3 hours late this afternoon.
There was I with my t/lamp and emergency light shinning away at people walking past, funny lot my neighbours, they kept looking in my window.  :lol: :P :P

And the "Dynamo Torch" from Aldi £3.99 worked a treat.
(I say worked, because my friend who I pinch borrow the CCTV cameras from borrowed it, not that I'll see it again)
Which was more than I can say for my re-chargeable torch, I used it yesterday, but forgot to put it back on charge.  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2]