Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Power cut yesterday  (Read 4951 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Power cut yesterday
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:53:16 AM »

Yesterday we had a 12-hour power cut starting at 1:30 pm. It was a most peculiar affair because the power didn't go right off, but just dropped to about half its normal voltage, and drifted up and down over the hours. It took a while for me to work out what was happening because power indicator lights and similar things were still working, but my UPS was bleeping and the DECT phones didn't work.

There was an absolutely uninformative recorded message on the electricity company's power cut reporting line, so nobody had any idea what was happening or how long it was likely to last. In the event, I decided at 10:30 pm that I'd had enough of trying to read by candlelight and went to bed. The power came back about 1:30 this morning.
  Eric

Accordion

• Reg Member
Re: Power cut yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »

Shocking!

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »

Eric,  just pay the bill  !!!  :lol: :lol:

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »

Let's hope the leccy company have seen the light now then  8)

Floydoid

• Senior Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 09:02:17 AM »

It was back to the abacus then?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 09:04:24 AM »

I should have known better than expect any sympathy from you lot :lol:
  Eric

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »

Sounds like the insulation between live and neutral is breaking down.

The only reason I know this is because exactly the same thing happened to our house (just our house) last year and when it finally went it went with a bang! Melted 3000 amp (or thereabouts) cabling is very impressive :) You could smell it before they dug the hole in the pavement - no kidding.

Best bet I find when the power goes off is to take a wander around until you find the contractors digging up the road/whatever and ask them. Once they realise you know what 3 phase is then they're pretty free with information as the power generators information lines are a waste of time : "We are aware of a fault affecting.....blah blah blah" That translates to "A load of people have called us so we know you don't have power but that's all we know as the people fixing it don't work for the same company as us and so they don't talk to us" :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »

This particular power cut was fairly widespread - it covered several local villages - so I would probably have had to do a lot of wandering to find it. :)

A similar thing happened several years ago, and I thought there was a safety issue, because my gas boiler was trying to start up but there wasn't enough power to make the igniter work. So unburnt gas was pouring out of the flue, completely uncontrolled. I switched it off of course, and rang the emergency line to point out what I considered to be a safety issue, but they weren't interested.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »

Roseway looks for contractors digging up road.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

Smart looking chap, eh? 8)
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:30:14 PM »

We have the odd power cut every so often, but I have a UPS in the living room for the laptop, so I just plug the table lamp into that (yes, one of those energy saving type lamps).

On the last occasion it lasted well over three hours in total before I finally turned it off after the power came back.
I might try it one day just out of curiosity to see how long it would actually last.
It's only a small Belkin 350 watt? and admittedly the beeping gets a bit annoying though.

I recently also fitted a emergency light fitting that comes on automatically if there is a power-cut.
So next time all my neighbours will be wondering whats going on.  :lol: :P :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

Glad you power is all restored now eric. :)

Did the drop in voltage affect your dsl?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »

No, as soon as I realised what had happened I turned the router off, and no damage was done to my IP profile (or anything else).
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:36 PM »

:)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »

We have the odd power cut every so often, but I have a UPS in the living room for the laptop, so I just plug the table lamp into that (yes, one of those energy saving type lamps).

On the last occasion it lasted well over three hours in total before I finally turned it off after the power came back.
I might try it one day just out of curiosity to see how long it would actually last.
It's only a small Belkin 350 watt? and admittedly the beeping gets a bit annoying though.

I recently also fitted a emergency light fitting that comes on automatically if there is a power-cut.
So next time all my neighbours will be wondering whats going on.  :lol: :P :P

Good ideas OF - might do that myself. We don't get many power cuts though, just one in the six years and a bit we've been here.
Pages: [1] 2

anything