Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GEA Test Results, I am banded but it doesn't look like it?  (Read 9436 times)

gazaai

• Reg Member
Re: GEA Test Results, I am banded but it doesn't look like it?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

all the recent GEA tests I've seen with banded lines have shown 0.128M-80M. certainly if a number of consecutive resyncs have all been 59995 with spare SNRM it's definitely banded. forcing a manual resync is never going to help. G.INP shows as retransmission low/high on a GEA test
That's where I find it odd that looking at kitz re syncs on MyDSLWebStats, she resycned manally on the 23rd of July and the banding was removed. But I guess you are right ill just have to wait it out.
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »

Oh thanks for that, I wont bother with a restart then. So is this a problem with the GEA Test do you think? or either that these "new" DLM changes might not be picked up by the test yet for some reason.

To tell the truth, I'm puzzled by what DLM gets up to nowadays.

I feel there's too much banding, and too little de-intervention right now. If that is a deliberate deliberate decision by the designers of DLM, then I'd say they have the design wrong.

However, if there is a fault in the network where DLM thinks it has reduced intervention, but the DSLAM keeps the old configuration, then we'd get these symptoms too.

But it is impossible to know the answer. DLM was always pretty opaque, and just seems more so now, after the G.INP fiascos and the Assia court case.

Edit: Gave into temptation and re synced the line anyway lol. No change...

That little doubt - will it improve? - gnaws away, doesn't it?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »

That's where I find it odd that looking at kitz re syncs on MyDSLWebStats, she resycned manally on the 23rd of July and the banding was removed. But I guess you are right ill just have to wait it out.
that doesn't appear to have been a manual resync but rather DLM resyncing to remove interleaving+ Error protection. doesn't look like her line was banded either
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

That little doubt - will it improve? - gnaws away, doesn't it?
Oh yes definitely, especially when you see that your SNR is so high. I wish they would improve DLM again, as they must realise I lot of lines are being banded for sometimes no reason.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 05:34:31 PM »

I rather suspect that the number of lines banded is quite a small percentage of the installed base and the number of those that are even aware of it even smaller. Don't forget that forums give a very skewed view of the world. That said, it would be rather nice if something could be done about it!!!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

That's what I used to think too.

But recent evidence has shown, in some cases at least, that banding was the first thing that DLM chose to use after a disturbance. A pretty minor disturbance, at that.

If DLM continues that behaviour, it won't be a small percentage for long.

One problem is that questions about banding are now mixed up with questions about a DLM reset (why 2 types), questions about ECI G.INP (which can be used for IPTV customers), and questions about Huawei G.INP (how long to activate? Or why hasn't it activated).

Right now, there appears to be a lot of circumstances where G.INP is not activated, and places where banding can jump in. Not ideal. Not predictable.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »

all the recent GEA tests I've seen with banded lines have shown 0.128M-80M. certainly if a number of consecutive resyncs have all been 59995 with spare SNRM it's definitely banded. forcing a manual resync is never going to help. G.INP shows as retransmission low/high on a GEA test

interesting there is 2 new values, Downstream Speed and Upstream Speed, with the former set at 60mbit, those I wonder could be the banded values?

Banding used to show in the profile name so e.g. 30m-60m as profile.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »

she wasnt banded, just interleaved.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »

According to the GEA test I am not, but look at my re syncs every one is 59995 and my SNR is now 6.8, I done another one 5 minutes ago

yeah see my above reply to john, also apologies, you referenced that name in your first post and I didnt notice.

Interceptor121

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 07:22:06 PM »

I have experienced the same issue. Few days of thunderstorms and floods resulted in max rate to drop. DLM resyncs and applies more retransmission at what it thinks is the max speed. Few days later weather improves and so does max rate. Line still stable two weeks later the modem retrains with reason 1. Remote profile incorrect profile speed increases, retransmission low but speed remains capped and has not moved since for one month and half.
Max speed is 3.5 mbps higher no big deal but if it was 20 mbps drop I would not be happy

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »

interesting there is 2 new values, Downstream Speed and Upstream Speed, with the former set at 60mbit, those I wonder could be the banded values?

Banding used to show in the profile name so e.g. 30m-60m as profile.
I hadn't even noticed that, but certainly makes sense. Would be interesting to see another GEA from another banded line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »

Estimated line length of 501 meters and a sync of 60 Mbps it's good the 80M is saying your using the 80/20 service as your currently on fastpath I can't see G.INP moving you up to 65Mbps as it was Interleaved lines that saw that 5Mbps increase of sync due to less overheads.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:09:56 PM by NewtronStar »

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »

Estimated line length of 501 meters and a sync of 60 Mbps it's good the 80M is saying your using the 80/20 service as your currently on fastpath I can't see G.INP moving you up to 65Mbps as it was Interleaved lines that saw that 5Mbps increase of sync due to less overheads.
Look at my old stats, you will see my true sync speed with G.INP make sure to look at the sync speed when I wasn't banded. I was getting 68mb no problem

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »

Trying to work out the extra SNRM of 0.8db on my line that works out at close to 2Mbps that works out at 61995 Kbps now if you say G.INP gave you an extra 5Mbps then 61995 + 5000 = 66995 kbps

Also G.INP can take 7 weeks to be turned back on after line reset or change of provider from what I can see in this forum

PS my SNRM mathematics may be off but WWWombat will give your correct results if he is about.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:35:48 PM by NewtronStar »

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

From looking at my old stats when I was banded at 66999 with G.INP my attainable rate was over 70mb so I'd easily expect a 68000 sync rate if it wasn't banded.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4