Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it a Miracle?  (Read 2485 times)

Ruffles

• Just arrived
Is it a Miracle?
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

Hello all,

I haven't got a problem, but a rather unusual question. I was one of the first connected to our rural FTTC cabinet around 18 months ago; it's a mile or so from my house and I initially got 24mbs. Since then it's gradually dropped until it reached 9-10mps, where it remained for the last few months. I'd put this down to crosstalk, with the cabinet filling up and me having a long line, so had grudgingly accepted it, but I've just done a speedtest and it's up to 21mps! Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted, but can't help wondering how/why?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Is it a Miracle?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »

G.INP ??

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 01:17:21 PM »

Possibly your main disturber has turned their modem off (going on holiday etc), or better still cancelled their broadband.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »

G.inp is one possibility for a speed increase, but 10Mbps -> 21Mbps is beyond the scope for g.inp.

It could be a combination of 3 things

1) g.inp
2) DLM has relented
3) One of your biggest cross talkers is offline.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »

My above post crossed with that of ronski's 

Without knowing your line history and without seeing stats its difficult to say which it is..  but Im willing to bet that the most likely reason has something to do with a crosstalker.     

The other thing that crosses my mind and why I listed all three.   It could be possible that if g.inp has been recently applied to your cab, then this could in effect 'reset' and previous DLM configurations....  and also if it is a cab that has recently got g.inp, you could have come back up before your neighbours.   Would need to check if your SNRm suddenly goes below 6dB. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ruffles

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »

Thanks for the input, eveyone. Very interesting; I hadn't realised one other line could potentially cause that much crosstalk  :o

I haven't got access to BT's modem to give you much in the way of stats, but one thing I noticed (relevant or not) is the the ping (15ms) is much lower than it's ever been, even compared 18 months ago when I was getting 23 or 24 mps.

krypton

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »

Could it be his line got vectoring? I don't know if this technology is already being used in UK.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:02:27 AM »

I haven't got access to BT's modem to give you much in the way of stats, but one thing I noticed (relevant or not) is the the ping (15ms) is much lower than it's ever been, even compared 18 months ago when I was getting 23 or 24 mps.

that could be g.inp

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:42:25 AM »

Thanks for the input, eveyone. Very interesting; I hadn't realised one other line could potentially cause that much crosstalk  :o

One crosstalker knocks me from max speed to 62mbit, see the attachments