Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.  (Read 37386 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2015, 01:44:37 AM »

Btw, A&A is a customer of TalkTalk Business or Wholesale or whatever. A&A gets lots of wholesale local loops from TT.

b*cat nods in acknowledgement.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »

I couldn't resist borrowing this link from another place:

http://i.imgur.com/al4kv26.jpg
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »

I couldn't resist borrowing this link from another place:

http://i.imgur.com/al4kv26.jpg

Great cartoon....  :lol:

As for punitive sentences for this I think the best we could hope for might be swinging fines and by that I mean millions of pounds not the stupid fines of a few 1000's which usually get handed out. Base the fine on 10x the CEO remuneration which would mean a fine of some £65,000,000+ for TT since Ms Harding earned (sorry got paid) £6.5million last year.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sorc

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2015, 10:02:54 AM »

At the rate things are going I wonder if she'll still be in her post in a week's time.

I'm sure that whatever happens to TT/her she has a big payoff lined up, they all do :(

Sadly I have to totally agree. The only people getting fired and punished will be some IT staff (or more likely, they'll fire the outsourcing company they probably use and go with the second cheapest)

It's pretty ridiculous that the ICO can't levy a particularly large fine (I think people have said £500k) despite this being the third occurence in a year

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »

:D :D :D :lol:
Love the Cartoon

In terms of the Fine .... don't hold your breath.

I would not expect much to happen to our wonderful CEO beyond at best a slap on the wrist.
It was nothing important only customer data, after all!!

« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »

I'm sure the tories will protect their own, they have plenty of experience with a myriad of other dodgy tory peers.....

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »

Shadow Minister for Business, Innovation and Skills, Chi Onwurah, is to ask an Urgent Question on data breaches and consumer protection on Monday 26 October 2015 in the House of Commons. She will ask about the Government's responsibilities and policies protecting consumers and infrastructure from large scale data breaches such as that suffered by Talk Talk.

It is estimated the Urgent Question will begin 4.15pm, following the Urgent Question on the arrest of protesters. Timings are approximate as Parliamentary business is subject to change.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2015/october/urgent-question-on-data-breaches-26-october-2015/

« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

Why am I not surprised that Labour can't ask a question on this without giving the govt an open goal to demand more spying powers?

"She will ask about the Government's responsibilities and policies protecting consumers and infrastructure from large scale data breaches such as that suffered by Talk Talk."

A normal person - ie not someone climbing the greasy pole - wouldn't have mentioned infrastructure, just consumers and the answer to that of course would be massive fines from the ICO to compensate said consumers.

In the case of TT it wouldn't be unreasonable for each customer to demand £250 compo* & that'd translate into £100million in compo plus lets say 20% for the govt. Make the fines transferrable to directors if the firm can't/won't pay.

That'd concentrate minds at board level....

People like Dido can afford it - she gets paid more than the minimum hourly wage every minute of the year (she gets paid £7.35/minute averaged over a year - or if you'd prefer it in terms of a 45 week year, 40 hours a week - that's £3611/hour.)

For "infrastructure" then that depends - private companies can sort their own out & in the event they don't the abovementioned massive fines will deal with them. For public infrastructure (is there any apart from roads/bridges & health/education?) then govt should deal with it.

The very last thing we need is more "black boxes" in private networks. Remember its likely to be people like Crapita who will end up running them :(

*this is the figure Barclays paid out when they lost similar data.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:24:22 PM by rizla »

sorc

« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »

For "infrastructure" then that depends - private companies can sort their own out & in the event they don't the abovementioned massive fines will deal with them. For public infrastructure (is there any apart from roads/bridges & health/education?) then govt should deal with it.

Government IT/phones? NHS health records? Military comms? Though I suppose whether that is private or public sector can be debated given that it's been outsourced and subcontracted to all the large incompetents at some point.

Presumably Labour are trying to capitalise on the rise of "cyber warfare"

« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Government IT/phones? NHS health records? Military comms? Though I suppose whether that is private or public sector can be debated given that it's been outsourced and subcontracted to all the large incompetents at some point.

Presumably Labour are trying to capitalise on the rise of "cyber warfare"

Govt is govt & there's not going to be any substantive answer on comms. NHS records are up for sale by the govt anyway.

Labour are the party who gave us 3000 new criminal laws in just over 10 years - mind you I reckon the Tories will give them a run for their money in the next 5 years....

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Labour are the party who gave us 3000 new criminal laws in just over 10 years

The key question is not the number of new laws but how many of them are 'Bad laws'.?

We can now debate what is a 'Bad law' !!  :D :D :D

You are right about the current Govt being likely to challenge this number, as the Govt has shown that changing rules/laws as they see fit is a good way to get their own way and 'adjust' the odds further down the line, for when the next election comes.

I still have not forgotten the change made to a fixed 5 year term for govt's which was the first bit of skewing the odds the Tories (with help from the Lib Dems) felt just had to be done.
[Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-term_Parliaments_Act_2011
(This set the tone for what was to come, which the 2nd win has unleashed with no constraint at all)
I am not the only one who thinks this was a bad idea .... even Ken Clarke now thinks it was a bad idea. (See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31917502)
Sorry for the OT.  ;D

« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »

I think you English people have to sort that all that out amongst yourselves. Worth bearing in mind that most of the "New Labour" laws were surveillance laws.

* rizla has lived in England for 26 years but no longer votes here because the choice is war-mongering right wingers or tories. I'll be leaving ASAP (once my English kids are done with school) because frankly nobody is welcome in England unless you're white (I am), English (not), right-wing (not) or have loads of wealth (again I fail). Enjoy your country peeps because you look very bad from the "outside".

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2015, 07:00:37 PM »

15 year old boy arrested in county antrim in relation to talktalk hack attack.

BBC News article.

[Moderator edited to add the link to the BBC News article.]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:24:35 PM by burakkucat »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2015, 07:39:24 PM »

Heard it in passing at the end of News.

Someone taking 'Script Kiddie' to heart.
Unfortunately, he is not going to like what happens next.  :( :(
Stupid thing to do.  :no: :no:

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »

It will be interesting to see how this pans out; there are a number of incidents here, and (as far as I know) it's not been stated which one the 15 Year Old Boy has been arrested for.

Consider :

TalkTalk have been compromised several times before.  Was it one of these the lad was arrested for?
or Was it the recent attack that's made the news?  All of them? Some of them? None?
Was it the (bogus?) claim of Muslim terrorist involvement?
Was it the (separate?) posting of such on pastebin?
Was it the (bogus?) blackmail of TalkTalk over (unconnected?) hacking?
Was it some undisclosed hacking / muddying of waters / wasting police time?

There seem to be a number of incidents here that may not all be related, so I'm a little cautious of leaping to the conclusion that the arrest of the 15 year old kid "in relation to talk talk hack" is a simple closure on this.

Interesting to see how this develops.

Ian
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

anything