Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.  (Read 36674 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »

Just had a news alert from the BBC about this see here.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »

Yes I also saw this on the news before TalkTalk informed me :no:

Would be interested if it was the same vulnerability as the Carphone Warehouse website.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:09:24 PM »

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »

So far I have not been contacted nor notified but noticed, this morning, that there was something ongoing with the lack of web-site access.

Currently the following is being displayed --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

Apologies if the ordering of the posts to this thread seem to be a bit awry . . . I have done my best to merge two separate posts on the same topic.

Note to self: A merge will sort the posts from each thread into chronological order.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:24:20 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »

Currently it's the main headline on BBC news.  Outranks the goings-on in Syria, as well as the Chinese visit to UK. :o

Will be interesting to get some balanced reporting, once the dust has settled.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:20 AM »

I wonder if Zen have a similar thing going on. I noticed these two stories broke at the same time. Or maybe that might be a co-incidence.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:09:06 AM »

TalkTalk, who I still have my mobile with, never bothered to inform me about their last customer details hack - found out by accident. I'm currently with BT who I think are pretty safe, every time a hacker tries to initiate a TCP connection they are redirected to India and put in a queue for at least 20 minutes...at which point they lose interest and give up.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:39:46 AM by phi2008 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »

Well I have been informed this morning about this attack BUT I never received any emails from TT on the previous occasions. The CEO was on the news this morning saying they are setting up free credit checking for 12 months for all customers to enable them to more easily keep a check on their  credit cards etc, announcement later today. Probably will mean even more scam phone calls!

Stuart

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »

I see TT are trying to tick all the "bad guys" boxes by spinning that it was "Russian Islamists" and hopefully deflect attention from the fact that they did NOT comply with PCIDSS requirements and encrypt card data.

Hopefully (as they're now permitted in the UK) somone will bring a class action against TT for negligence. Not a fan of parasitical solicitors but this is a case which needs to be started.

Oh and if the "free credit checking" is with Experian then you might want to ask what's the point of that as Experian has been hacked for the last 2 years! (http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/experian-data-breach.html).

Suing the company is the only way to go on this as the ICO is (deliberately) as much use as a chocolate teapot.

ricke17

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »

TT will just use the blame culture without admitting it's fundamental faults.

I just hope that all the other ISP's learn from this and comply with the PCIDSS requirements (if they don't already).

I have this morning deleted my card details from my plusnet account (which is used as a back up in case my DD fails) just in case!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

The first words on BBC News website are still 'TalkTalk', in large bold font.  It outranks a story further down the page about 40 people killed in a coach crash which is France which is pretty poor judgement by Beeb IMHO.

The Beeb article might even be seen as free publicity.  Most people who are not TT customers will probably just skim over it.  In 6 months time they might vaguely remember that TT were in the news, but  won't even remember whether the story was about a good thing or a bad thing.   :-[

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:22:56 PM »

There's a small sample of the hacked information that's been posted online, seemingly showing password changes but also bank account details (redacted for the sample post) - this does seem to indicate that the data stolen wasn't encrypted, or was easy to break.

On a related note, I'm signed up (free) with a service called "Have I been pwned?" where you can enter your email address(es), and it will tell you if you are on any known hacked database lists.  It also notifies you by email if you appear on a new list.

Might be worth a look?

The site is https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and you can read about it in this short article by security blogger Graham Cluley here https://grahamcluley.com/2013/12/check-youre-victim-database-breach-pwned/

So it seems legit.

Ian

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »

The first words on BBC News website are still 'TalkTalk', in large bold font.  It outranks a story further down the page about 40 people killed in a coach crash which is France which is pretty poor judgement by Beeb IMHO.

I'm the last person to defend the BBC (my opinion of them is unprintable) but I reckon a story affecting 4 million people in the UK outweighs a coach crash in another country, despite the deaths. A lot of TT customers have no clue at all about the previous (unrelated - pull the other one Dido, its got bells on) hacks over the last year as well.

I reckon TT are toast inside 12 months. This is going to cost the banks/CC companies loads of cash and you can bet your last penny they're not going to take that lightly - several pounds of financial flesh will be extracted one way or another. As for trust issues with customers - well they're out the window now anyway, you'd have to be delusional to trust them again.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

Just seen a thread on the TT community forum with a list of databases which were compromised, obviously dont know how accurate it is but it is 64 databases long!
Dont know how long it will be there but I copied it just in case  ;)

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11