Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: New connection - high FEC  (Read 13256 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
Re: New connection - high FEC
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 04:58:12 PM »

But does that (a resync) not have to happen if I unplug the router and recable?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »

I'm not sure you can use the bottom two  graphs - they appear to be identical to before any changes and the pop up help on the graph says that they are only updated one per day.

I think you are misinterpreting what that says but it wasn't very well explained in the first place and dates back 6 months....

So I've just changed it to read:

Note that Bits/Tone, SNR/Tone, Hlog and QLN graphs are only updated hourly and are kept for 4 days, then daily prior to that - use the Historic option to access older graphs

HLog and QLN graphs only change on a line reset/resync before data is active

So in other words, you will always initially see the latest graph uploaded (assuming the tone related files are set to upload) [time is on the graph] and that should be no older than one hour or so. Use the Historic option to see all older graphs, and after four days have passed you'll only have access to one graph per day.

The HLog and QLN data is only updated during a resync or reset while no data is on the line even though still uploaded hourly and even then may not change.

Hope that makes it clearer...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:13:59 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »

Disconnecting the cable between the modem and the router will drop the PPPoE session with your CP/ISP.

Disconnecting the cable between the DSLAM (MSAN) & the modem and then reconnecting it will cause a resynchronisation event.

A resynchronisation event wiil, ipso facto, also result in the PPPoE session being dropped and then re-established but the dropping and re-establishing of a PPPoE session will not cause a resynchronisation event.

Power cycling (or rebooting) the modem will cause both events to occur.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »

Thanks for the explanation of the graphs that certainly helps.

In my case the router and the modem are combined.

So when I plugged the modem/router directly into the master socket via a filter about 10.30 this morning I had a significant increase in attainable speed but when the graphs were updated at 11.00 they  appeared much the same. This suggests to me a problem bt side.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »

(Leaving a long cat5  cable exiting the loft hatch and winding its way through the house was not an option  :))
Lloyd

As long as the existing cable from master socket to data extension socket has twisted pairs it should lessen the effects of noise getting into the cable but it's nowhere as good as CAT5e.

As for the Hlog during your tests there has been plenty of reboots of the modem to show changes in the Hlog graph yet it has not changed and the (star wiring) issue must be still there.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 06:05:04 PM »

Thanks for the explanation of the graphs that certainly helps.

In my case the router and the modem are combined.

So when I plugged the modem/router directly into the master socket via a filter about 10.30 this morning I had a significant increase in attainable speed but when the graphs were updated at 11.00 they  appeared much the same. This suggests to me a problem bt side.

The event at 11:25 this morning on your line is shown as Reason 0: Loss of Service so no resync occurred (this would show Reason 1: RDI [Remote Defect Indicator] if it had resynced). This suggested to me you likely powered the combined modem/router off and then on again with an interval between long enough for the DLM to not worry (looks to have been off for about 6 mins). I don't mind being told I'm wrong here....  ???

Previous event at 10:19 was also a LOS and no resync occurred and that had been off for about ~40mins.

The event at 01:56 though appears to have been DLM initiated and shows an RDI with your sync changing.

So, if you look at the graphs for 01:00 (before the most recent resync), there are some differences to the later ones you posted. After your filter test, I would say you have a wiring problem internally (maybe, possibly, or not  :-\ )

Edit: I now see that's already been suggested!

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 06:22:05 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 07:02:12 PM »

Restarted dsl stats about 30 mins ago which changed the graphs.  These are now being displayed.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »

Restarted dsl stats about 30 mins ago which changed the graphs.  These are now being displayed.

Thats a better Hlog not perfect but it's getting there and if your not getting anymore resync's then it's a job well done and you can sort out the rest in your own leisure.

get yourself a SSFP MK3  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:23:50 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »

A definite improvement but there is still some way to go . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  Next stage is to get the mk3 and do away with the internal wiring moving the modem/router to thr attic. But that will involve time that is in short supply at the moment so may have to live with things for now.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »

so you still have the fix in place?

your snrm graph is odd, it shot up when you did the work, but then went down again shortly after.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »

It shot up  when I connected directly to the master and came down again when I split the extension wiring to separate voice and data.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »

why did you split it? remove the split as you made the line worse again.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 06:15:47 PM »

Maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly. The significant improvement was when I connected to the master socket and disconnected all internal wiring.  However, I cannot live like this (with a cat5 cable coming out of the loft hatch and winding its way around the house), so had to reconnect the internal wiring, having split the wiring (which was star) into voice and data.  The modem/router is currently on one section of internal wiring, so it will be worse for now, and I have to accept that.  I will be returning to direct connection at the master socket when I have purchased, and had time to install, some external cat5 to route between attic and study, which are on opposite corners of the house.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  Next stage is to get the mk3 and do away with the internal wiring moving the modem/router to thr attic. But that will involve time that is in short supply at the moment so may have to live with things for now.

Thats not the way to do it  ???

You connect the SSFP MK3 to your NTE5 in the roof space use the A & B IDC connectors to CAT5e cable then track the cable down from roof space to the location where the extension socket is needed for the modem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5