Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: New connection - high FEC  (Read 13361 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
Re: New connection - high FEC
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  Next stage is to get the mk3 and do away with the internal wiring moving the modem/router to thr attic. But that will involve time that is in short supply at the moment so may have to live with things for now.

Thats not the way to do it  ???

You connect the SSFP MK3 to your NTE5 in the roof space use the A & B IDC connectors to CAT5e cable then track the cable down from roof space to the location where the extension socket is needed for the modem.

Playing devils advocate, why not do it this way?   Your approach will extend the cable run for the fttc by another 15m or so (and introduce a few more joints).  Why do this when I can stick the modem close to the master socket, and use the cat5e for ip?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »

If you are planning to site the modem/router (I've now checked and see that you are currently using a Billion 8800NL) in the roof space, have you given due consideration to the wide thermal swings that it will experience? I would be rather concerned with the maximum temperature to which it would be subjected in the summer months . . .

It might be better to give consideration to re-siting the NTE5/A in the computer room / office / grotto -- a new length of CW1308 cable from the roof-space to a new NTE5/A in the grotto and gel-crimps to make the connection with the incoming service-feed in the roof space. Fit a blanking plate to the backing-box of the old NTE5/A in the roof space (now just housing the gel-crimps) and the job is done. Either rewire the telephony sockets that you need for use in a daisy-chain direct to the lower front face plate of the new NTE5/A or run another length of CW1308 cable from the new NTE5/A low front face plate back up into the roof space and then connect that to the existing telephony extension wiring.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:12 PM »

Fair point regarding temperature, although with the summers we've been having recently.....

If I  move the NTE5/A, what's the BTOR engineer going to make of it? 

Using the A&B IDC connectors as suggested by NewtronStar seems a better approach to me, as I can still connect the existing phone extensions with no extra cabling.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »

Maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly. The significant improvement was when I connected to the master socket and disconnected all internal wiring.  However, I cannot live like this (with a cat5 cable coming out of the loft hatch and winding its way around the house), so had to reconnect the internal wiring, having split the wiring (which was star) into voice and data.  The modem/router is currently on one section of internal wiring, so it will be worse for now, and I have to accept that.  I will be returning to direct connection at the master socket when I have purchased, and had time to install, some external cat5 to route between attic and study, which are on opposite corners of the house.

ahh ok understood.

So I understand this, whats the reason for needing the 8800nl in the loft? cannot it not be put somewhere neatly next to the master socket?  Is everything wireless, or is some devices connected via ethernet?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:53:14 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »

If you are going for the CATe cable setup from SSFP to the Data extension socket there is a limit to the length of run and it's 30 meters i think and all i needed was 10 meters.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »

Fair point regarding temperature, although with the summers we've been having recently.....

I am not sure but after a good chat with an Oprenreach Engineer on last visit he said that they were not permitted to do any cabling work in the End users loft, now that's strange because if the Engineer needs to do tests on your line he will have to enter the loft to gain access to master socket :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:27:32 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »

From what I understand if during a FTTC manned install the customer asks for the master socket to be moved, the engineer may do it during the visit.

But as a separate task I think they will do it but for a fee.

BS can offer more insight I expect.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

It really depends upon the quality standard of your work and whether you mention it . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »

Installed SSFP MK3 yesterday evening, which seemed to have a positive effect.  Then lunchtime today G.INP enabled, which has knocked the FEC down further (but with a slight reduction in DL speed.)  Seems my standard firmware 8800NL supports it.   CAT5 on order so I might get the job completed this weekend.

(One enhancement that I would quite like on MDWS is to be able to set my own scale on the y-axis - the huge spikes I have in FEC mask the fine detail when the changes were made.)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »

Had a look at your current stats an hour ago and indeed you have G.INP enabled and both of them seems to have made your line better, that's a good attainable rate you have and your Attenutation of 20.1dB shows this and loads of DS SNRM spare for internal improvement  ;)

Yet after all the ups and downs it could be the line is banded so wait a few weeks before you start any new projects.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:13:37 PM by NewtronStar »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2015, 08:00:20 PM »

(One enhancement that I would quite like on MDWS is to be able to set my own scale on the y-axis - the huge spikes I have in FEC mask the fine detail when the changes were made.)

Just zoom in by drag highlighting the area of interest....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

Just zoom in by drag highlighting the area of interest....

That is a nice feature that I use.  What I was trying to see was either side of a very high spike. At the moment I use two panes and use to zoom to display either side in each pane.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 08:55:26 AM »

Resync this morning.  Now have 40000/10000 I wonder is this is as a result of the ssfp or g.inp or both? And will it last?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »

Do you have copies of the "--stats" or "--show" output from the modem, before and after this latest sync?

From looking at MDWS, it looks like DLM removed some artificial banding to get this change. Your FEC rate has increased in the last few hours. Otherwise, things *as measured* look like they have improved with G.INP in place. However, there are probably extra things we should be measuring to gauge performance of G.INP, so I don't think you are fully in the clear yet.

You also had one spike of CRCs since the SSFP was changed, so that might not have been the full answer to stabilising your line.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »

Do you have copies of the "--stats" or "--show" output from the modem, before and after this latest sync?
Nothing from before I'm afraid.  Can get the post sync ones later if useful.

You also had one spike of CRCs since the SSFP was changed, so that might not have been the full answer to stabilising your line.
Are you referring to the large spike on the 17th (that was the time when the ssfp was changed) or a later one?  I know that I still have some internal wiring work to do, but one or both of the recent changes have made things a lot better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything