Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: New connection - high FEC  (Read 13333 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
Re: New connection - high FEC
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 07:34:19 PM »

Thanks for all your comments.  I haven't looked in detail at the quality of the internal wiring, but I would not be surprised if it had issues. From memory two internal cables leave the master socket to feed a number of extension sockets around the house. No alarm connected.  A job for the weekend to have a good poke around.

I'll try and find some time to remove all internal wiring and plug directly into the master socket, and run like that for a few hours. (Need some internal wiring for the phone so can't run for too long like that - master socket is in the attic.)

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »

With a line in this state do I need to worry about leaving 30 mins between disconnect and reconnection?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:49 AM »

If you don't do that, DLM might construe it as one more resync, adding to the possibility that it will intervene.
  Eric

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »

Ok.  I'll ensure that leave if off for a while.

Would one of the experts here care to comment on my quiet line graph? To a non expert eye it looks horrible.  Are the infrastructure issues suggested above a likely cause of this?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »

I'm no expert, but it certainly looks horrible, and yes, it's quite likely to be caused by bad internal wiring.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 02:25:08 PM »

Having now looked at both the QLN and the Hlog graphs, they definitely indicate a circuit which is struggling -- possibly as a result of poor local (internal) wiring.  :-\  :(

Edited to attach the graphs, below.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:33:13 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »

Just removed the first face plate on one of the extensions, and it appears to be another master socket ???.  Has capacitor, resistor and surge protector. As it is a fancy brass faceplate, will probably simply snip the components off, but I'll look at the others first. It also has wires in 2,3,4,5 - so need to remove the earth and bell wire.

2nd extension I open appears to be LJU2/2A - with capacitor and and resistor. Again 2,3,4,5 connected,
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:36:56 PM by lloyd »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »

There are two basic solutions to your wiring problem.
  • Fit a SSFP at the NTE5/A (in the roof space) and then run a data extension cable to where ever you intend the modem to reside.
  • Move the NTE5/A from the roof space to an appropriate location, fit a SSFP and then run a data extension cable to where ever you intend the modem to reside.
In both cases, it will be advisable to ensure that the telephony wiring is daisy-chained from the NTE5/A all the way to the last (telephone) extension socket.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »

Did I detect a mention that there were two leads from the attic master? Does that means 1 cable to each of the 2 extensions?

That would be star wiring, rather than daisy-chaining. That would be a bad thing for the modem, and would explain some of the things seen in the Hlog graph.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »

Did I detect a mention that there were two leads from the attic master? Does that means 1 cable to each of the 2 extensions?

That would be star wiring, rather than daisy-chaining. That would be a bad thing for the modem, and would explain some of the things seen in the Hlog graph.

Well spotted, but it is slightly more complicated, as there are more than 2 extensions (five I think). When I have some time, I need to work out exactly what is on each cable leaving the master socket.  The house has been significantly knocked about, so the cables could be going in any old direction.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »

You need to gain access to your the master socket and from there you will start to see the lay out of the extensions, but if you use the A & B IDC connectors on the SSFP MK3 to the extension location where the modem resides will help you won't need any filters and your phone will not work in that location as it's Broadband data only and CAT5e cable should be used.

and when you are up there in the (roof space)
check out the type of cable that's installed, CW1308 twisted and copper cores is the BT standard.

Look on this site http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mr-Telephone-Supplies
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:38:10 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »

Managed to determine that of the two cables coming out of the master socket, one happens to have the two phones that we have connected to and the other the broadband.  So have now put the filter on the master and split at that point - not ideal but will do until I have time to install some external cat5. Too early really to see the results. If anyone does look at the graphs the first change is connecting the router directly at the master socket, the next change is putting it back as described in the earlier sentence.   (Leaving a long cat5  cable exiting the loft hatch and winding its way through the house was not an option  :))

I was trying to see the change on hlog and qln on MDWS, but the help text suggests these will only be updated daily - is there anyway to override this?

Lloyd

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »

Now that you have an understanding of how the wiring is connected, you are part-way towards the solution.  ;)

Looking, this afternoon, at the graphs from your circuit's behaviour, still shows that it is very "sad" . . .  :-X

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »

I'm not sure you can use the bottom two  graphs - they appear to be identical to before any changes and the pop up help on the graph says that they are only updated one per day.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 04:54:09 PM »

You will find that the data used to plot the Hlog and QLN graphs is only gathered during the CPE - DSLAM (MSAN) synchronisation phase. So if there has not been any re-synchronisation then, yes, those graphs will be identical to the earlier two.

b*cat should have remembered that fact and, as a consequence, now goes to hide in a brown-paper bag . . .  :paperbag:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything