Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Attainable sync and SNRm  (Read 42721 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Attainable sync and SNRm
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 06:34:18 PM »

The only point of his policy with which I would disagree is his usage of solid core cable when making a patch cable. Patch cables need to have stranded conductors to allow flexibility.  :-X

Regarding RJ11 and RJ45 plugs: An RJ11 has six connectors and an RJ45 has eight connectors. The top socket of a SSFP is designed to accept an RJ45 plug. The pair of connectors used in that socket are numbers 4 & 5 (the middle two). So when a RJ45 plug is used, it is plug connectors 4 & 5 but when an RJ11 plug is used, it is plug connectors 3 & 4.

When your new 10 metres of Cat5e cable, with a pre-fitted RJ45 plug, arrives you will need to either visually or electrically check which colour wires are connected to connectors 4 & 5 of the plug. Obviously they are the two wires that will have to be connected to 3 & 4 at the data extension (RJ11) socket.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:39 PM »

When your new 10 metres of Cat5e cable, with a pre-fitted RJ45 plug, arrives you will need to either visually or electrically check which colour wires are connected to connectors 4 & 5 of the plug. Obviously they are the two wires that will have to be connected to 3 & 4 at the data extension (RJ11) socket.

Yes B*CAT was thinking about which pairs are being used on the RJ11 this evening, the CAT5e has arrived and is being tested as i type, direct from the SSFP MK3 upper socket RJ45 and down the hallway and then into the room were the HG612 resides and then is connected using the RJ11 end of cable.

No major changes to this RFI (Radio China & Radio Lithuania) as expected because that's coming in from the openreach side and 100% confident of that now ;D

there is difference to the QLN i can see the end on the D2 band plus the start of the U2 band and have never seen this before on graphs, have attached the before and after graphs  :-\

As for CRC's and ES''s thats going to take longer to see the difference and i think there must have been a lighting strike as the CRC shows a spike of 68 and it was in Lisburn 25 miles from me.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:03:11 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »

. . . was thinking about which pairs are being used on the RJ11 this evening, the CAT5e has arrived and is being tested as i type, direct from the SSFP MK3 upper socket RJ45 and down the hallway and then into the room were the HG612 resides and then is connected using the RJ11 end of cable.

:thumbs:

there is difference to the QLN i can see the end on the D2 band plus the start of the U2 band and have never seen this before on graphs, have attached the before and after graphs  :-\

I see that the frequency range has increased a little bit, so you should have a few more usable tones.  :)

As for CRC's and ES''s thats going to take longer to see the difference

K5 is an expert in that field.  ;)

. . . i think there must have been a lighting strike as the CRC shows a spike of 68 and it was in Lisburn 25 miles from me.

If it was a cloud-to-cloud discharge, being so high up, the "circle of influence" on the ground would be very large. (Think of an alien space-ship, hight up there, shining a light source towards the earth. From the light source (which could be regarded as a point source) the beam of light is an effective cone, getting ever wider the further it travels from the space-ship.)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »

it was a cloud-to-cloud discharge, being so high up, the "circle of influence" on the ground would be very large. (Think of an alien space-ship, hight up there, shining a light source towards the earth. From the light source (which could be regarded as a point source) the beam of light is an effective cone, getting ever wider the further it travels from the space-ship.)

I would never have thought you were the Storm Chaser type  ;)
The preliminary short term results of the this cable looks promising and it will find it's place in the loft this weekend if it keep on this linear path.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:05:04 PM by NewtronStar »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »

there is difference to the QLN i can see the end on the D2 band plus the start of the U2 band and have never seen this before on graphs, have attached the before and after graphs

Um. You might want to think about what was different about your physical connection from the point you reconnected and on for about 35 mins?

The attached are your Upstream SNRM/Band and Bits/Tone plots from that period. From reconnect at 17:49 through to 18:26 you picked up nearly 6db of the U3 band (from 0dB) and then abruptly it went away again. There was little effect on the equivalent D/S plot.
Your Bits/Tone for 18:00 (using Historic view option) taken within that period shows a whole 2 extra bits  :o (from none) on U3 but probably had little real effect - no sign of these extras bits at 17:00 or 19:00 or before/after.

The Upstream Line Attenuation U3 also shot up from zero at 17:49 but has stayed there. Also SNR/Tone shows a change from 18:00 onwards with the extra upstream tones appearing all the time now.

If you can remember what you did, you might be able to improve on it for Upstream (if you think it's worth the effort)?
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »

Well spotted tbailey2  :)

In the pbParams Medley Phase it's now showing an extra US band (1972,2034) with the CAT5e cable installed, and have noticed in the US SNR per band U2 is available the (Red line on DSLstats and Green on MDWS) but i must be right on the edge as you have pointed out it seems to come and go as the SNRm changes over 24 hours.

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3970)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2034)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:34:31 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »

Cat5 cable installed to-day with RJ45 from master socket up the wall into loft and then down to where the HG612 resides with RJ11 plug still intact.

I was able to make the holes on both ceilings a wee bit wider from 4mm to 10mm didn't think the RJ11 plug would survive the process as it took some force into the entry point and exit point and is still feed into RJ11 socket as it has a removable panel for the cable to exit.

Job done, so the extra US Band we saw must have been a flook as has not appeared again after two 30 minute modem power downs for maintenance and tbh those extra US tones seemed to have a negative effect on the U0  ???

unfortunately have rebooted the modem during the time when SNRm is at it's highest point  (early afternoon) and as you know on my line the SNRm starts to drop (late afternoon) and will lose 1dB of DS SNRm by the evening it's a pain in backside.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »

Cat5 cable installed to-day with RJ45 from master socket up the wall into loft and then down to where the HG612 resides with RJ11 plug still intact.

I was able to make the holes on both ceilings a wee bit wider from 4mm to 10mm didn't think the RJ11 plug would survive the process as it took some force into the entry point and exit point and is still feed into RJ11 socket as it has a removable panel for the cable to exit.

b*cat iz now confuddled.  ???  Me thought that you had a RJ11 socket fitted in the room with the modem and your new cable was a "special" from Mr Telephone Supplies (a length of Cat5e cable, with an RJ45 plug pre-fitted at one end and left without any plug at the other end). I thought that once the cable had been successfully installed, you would be making the appropriate connection to the IDCs of the pre-existing RJ11 socket. The connection to the modem from the socket would then be made with an RJ11 to RJ11 patch lead.

Congratulations on the latest fix, in removing that suspect cable from the circuit.  :thumbs:  Perhaps you just need to wait for the appropriate conditions, at the optimum time of day and then re-synchronise the modem with the DSLAM?  :-\

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »

b*cat iz now confuddled.  ???  Me thought that you had a RJ11 socket fitted in the room with the modem and your new cable was a "special" from Mr Telephone Supplies (a length of Cat5e cable, with an RJ45 plug pre-fitted at one end and left without any plug at the other end).

I just ordered the 10m CAT5e cable with the RJ45 and RJ11 plugs at each end from MR T and used this during testing on friday and saturday and when the cable had passed my tests and ready for the loft install i was ready to snip off the RJ11 plug to make it easier to push cable up and down and then terminate the pairs to RJ11 socket.

But I changed my mind during the install and expanded the ceiling holes reason being why not just keep the cable from the master socket to modem as a continuous cable feed and do away with termination points (RJ11 Socket).

And B*CAT you were spot on with 10 meters as there is only 2 meters spare left to HG612  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:45:37 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »

Ah, the picture now "comes through" a lot clearer.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »

Ah, the picture now "comes through" a lot clearer.  :)

Glad I could make the picture sharper  ;)

I am at the DS SNRm point of 4.5dB that's normally a automatic resync for me will leave it to see what happens CRC's ok but errored second counts for 1 hour are getting close to 24 on the DS it's usually about 14 at this time with 2000 kbps less on the DS
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:25:30 PM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

That's the end of project 08 and many thanks to all on the Kitz forum that has helped me to improve my strange FTTC line over the last year and a big thanks go's out to burrakkucat for enduring & helping me though this learning curve  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2015, 11:45:18 PM »

b*cat performs one of his best Japanese style bows (whilst blushing).  :blush:

Always happy to help (when I can).  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »

The US extra tones U2 was not a fluke of nature they back and are consistant, the reason why this appeared the first time was due to using the cat5e cable with the SSFP MK3 then decided to use the standard SSFP and the US extra tones (U2) disapeared from the Bandplan.

So have the MK3 back inplace i know my (U2) band has very little bit's is nothing to write home about but it does say you can improve your broadband with proper internal cabling.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

anything