Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Attainable sync and SNRm  (Read 42717 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Attainable sync and SNRm
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »

yep works, you may need the fixed exe from BE tho for full stats.  I will send to you if he isnt around.  Whats nice as well is the size, its very similar sized to the hg612.

What about manually dropping the PPP connection on the 8800NL with the HH3 you could force a new PPP connection by switching off the router without disturbing the line connection to the HG612 modem.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:45 AM »

I am pretty sure you will be able to control the PPP independently of the sync in the interface.

You can also use the billion in bridge mode (like I do) so its then just a replacement as a modem for the hg612.

ON my 8800nl, I have done lots of fiddling on vlan settings, bridging settings, firewall, ip range, wireless settings, snmp and more, none affected the sync status.  The only things I expect that would initiate a new sync is directly touching the dsl settings.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

I'm sure there will be a setting somewhere.  I attach a screen grab where it is on the Zyxel VMG8324.   

The Zyxel's GUI though is very feature rich and you can do most things via the web GUI rather than having to use the CLI/telnet.  The amount of info in the GUI can be a bit overwhelming for a n00b, but now Ive found where everything is, I really like the fact that Zyxel has made so much info and controls available in it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »

Perhaps, when the "moment is ripe", either Eric or Walter will be able to comment on the ability to drop a PPP session independently of the DSL link when using a Billion 8800NL:-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:19 PM »

Yes, I looked earlier without success, but I see it now: Status --> WAN
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »

Ah, excellent news. Just what N*Star needed to know. Thank you.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 12:13:40 AM »

The ISP phone call may have made some changes as it's been a long time since i've seen a SNRM flatline have to be cautious here and let it play out over a few weeks  :-\

And silly me forgot the HG612 GUI password i set 2 weeks ago and had to flash it this evening.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:18:32 AM by NewtronStar »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 11:56:25 PM »

Yes, I looked earlier without success, but I see it now: Status --> WAN

Cheers Eric & can confirm it's purchased will have to lay off the cigs for 3-4 days to rebalance my bank account  :ouch:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »

Just did a manual re-sync of FTTC modem this evening the US pwr dBmV has gone from 0.6 to -0.1 is this ok ?

The reason for turning off the HG612 was to install the CAT6 RJ11 to RJ11 1 meter cable as i think interference from TV and PC moniter was getting into the modem via the flat untwisted DSL cable because as soon as monitor is switched on the DS SNRM drops and both of them are close to DSL cable half a meter each.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »

. . . the US pwr dBmV has gone from 0.6 to -0.1 is this ok ?

Probably, yes.  ;)

You no doubt recall that a dB is a dimensionless ratio and the power unit that you have quoted, above, is dB relative to one mV. So seeing the change from a positive value to a negative value is not as if your US power "has gone negative" but just the ratio is "inverted".

(Sorry that the above is rather nebulous. I found it rather difficult to put into words . . .)

References:

Signal Strength
Decibel
Orders of Magnitude (Voltage)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

Probably, yes.  ;)

that's good news and also the Mr Telephone RJ11 to RJ11 cable is doing it's job except for the RPI's HDMI to VGA converter it seems to push out interference at 118Mhz and the SNRM will drop the DS by 0.4-0.5 dB, so i'll be going back to fuzzy composite on the Rasberry PI untill i get a new tv which has a HDMI input  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2015, 05:36:39 PM »

While I installed the CAT6 RJ11 to RJ11 cable also decided to remove SSFP MK3 and replace it with MK1 (standard SSFP) and watch the CRC's and ES's for 20 hours.

The CRC spikes with the MK1 inplace are much higher than with the MK3, for an example a light switch causes 10 CRC's on the MK1 and 2 CRC's with the MK3, so the SSFP MK3 is clearly the winner and why it's installed again on the master socket  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »

The CRC spikes with the MK1 inplace are much higher than with the MK3, for an example a light switch causes 10 CRC's on the MK1 and 2 CRC's with the MK3, so the SSFP MK3 is clearly the winner and why it's installed again on the master socket  ;)

:thumbs:

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:42 PM »

There is one last thing to do concerning internal household broadband wireing and that's the data  extension cable from master socket up to roofspace and down to extension socket it will require no more than 7 meter and have only three meters left of CW1308 cable after it was used to connect BT80 to master socket (3 meters).

Do I buy 8 meters of CW1308 cable or purchase 8 meters of cat6 RJ11 to RJ11 cable and do away with the data socket (plugged direct into SSFP and up into roofspace and down to the modem)

the CW1308 cable would be my fist choice as it's slim and easy to terminate the CAT6 with an RJ11 plug is thick and will require me to make a larger hole in the ceilings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:50:56 PM by NewtronStar »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »

I would go for a Cat5e cable, fitted with an RJ45 plug at one end and unterminated at the other end. Feed the unterminated end of the cable up into the roof space and then down to the modem's location. Then fit an RJ11 socket at that location.

So at the NTE5/A + Mk 3 SSFP the RJ45 plug is inserted into the "top" socket of the SSFP. At the modem, use a patch cable from the RJ11 socket to the modem's RJ11 socket.

I would suggest that you purchase one of these, 10 metres length and with the standard RJ11 socket to fit at the modem's location. Current cost = £11.80

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

anything