Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Government to consider change to BST etc  (Read 4629 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Government to consider change to BST etc
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

The BBC has an interesting item about a 3 year trial moving to double summer time and +1 in winter time.

I'd go for +1 all year round personally, not sure I want double summer time though.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Government to consider change to BST etc
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »

Gawd... no!   

It would be the end of GMT and just align us with parts of Central Europe.
I dont see the point.. do these bureaucrats have nothing better to do than waste time, effort and money on thinking what else they can change.

Stupid Stupid Stupid idea!

But for years the case in favour of change has struggled because of opposition in Scotland where it would leave some northern-most areas without daylight until 10am during the winter months.

"We'd all in England have breakfast in the dark. Then in the summer it twists the other way so you'd be watching Newsnight and it'd be light outside."

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

Another NO from me......Hate the dark nights,but hate dark mornings even more.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmbills/007/11007.i-i.html

Haven't they anything better to waste money on...... >:(

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »

IIRC we had DBST during WW2 to aid productivity.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »

IIRC we had DBST during WW2 to aid productivity.

. . . and we had a test of DBST for the summer and BST for the winter in the late 1960s. At the end of that experiment, the answer was a big NO. Since that 1960s experiment, I have never, ever adjusted my watch twice a year -- it remains permanently on UTC (i.e. GMT)!

If someone desperately wants to be on eastern French time, just move there. ::)

Nothing is gained or lost by this incessant, twice yearly, palaver. The sun will "rise" and "set" in the sky regardless of what the foolish wish to call the current time. The length of daylight will not change, it will follow the natural annual cycle.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

I most certainly do not agree with this double summer time. However, I do agree with shifting the time for the sake of the farmers. The real farmers that is. If we can afford them a little more sunlight then fair be it, so long as the beast and livestock appreciate it. As for mucking the time about just to be inline with other countries then it is pure hogwash and just plain irritating. I'm being polite here. Burakkucat has it in one, that if some-one wants French time or what ever then move there like Scottiesmum has. ;)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

Seems I'm in the minority, but I think it's a great idea to have lighter evenings, and the sooner the better!
Cheers,
Peter

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »

Can someone ask all the poor cows what they think of having to change their miking routines and times, oh sorry I forgot it's the farmers who will need to change their times once again.

I know we have had this discussion many time over in the past and probably will again in the future, but too be honest I don't know if it makes that much difference to us really, except for the point of lighter evenings which should in theory mean lower electric bills and possibly also slightly lower heating bills.

Although, to have later evening savings will mean darker and colder mornings so any saving will probably be more than ruled out.

So, question.
If DST is implemented what :-
1. Would you suffer from it?
2. or what benefit could you get from it?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:32 AM »

I don't imagine that farmers are clock watchers. They'll be more driven by daylight hours than by what it says on the clock. That probably suits the cows too.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:01:01 AM »

Me, I'm neutral. But I do think that more weight should be placed on national benefits/dis-benefits than personal prejudices, whether they are driven by lifestyle or political phobia. The latter seems evident in some of the replies to the OP.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »

Having lived through the previous experiments I don't recall it being a big problem (or even an inconvenience).
With the more flexible way we live and work now I would have thought it would be even less of an issue.

Farmers etc. are controlled by daylight anyway so it will only be how they interact with other parts of the community that will change.
Postmen etc. seem to arrive later & later anyway so can't see them really being affected.  8)

As an aside I'm often in the far North of Scotland in midsummer and love the really late light evenings.

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »

It might stop the late night 'phone calls from the UK  and, more important, the ones that interrupt dinner of an evening  :lol:

If someone desperately wants to be on eastern French time, just move there. ::)

I did   :D   "eastern French time" has foxed me slightly  burakkucat   ....  I've always thought it was CET not EFT  :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »

. . . has foxed me . . .

How very appropriately canine, Smum:silly:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »

I must admit that I cannot see a problem with keeping DST all year but I see no point in going GMT+2 in summer apart from being the same as the rest of Europe. My wife absolutely hates winter and hates the current clock system, she simply wants to stay +1 all year round.

Lets face it it only affects humans, no animal is affected at all as their bodies work but the sun anyway.

Neither does it affect street lighting timers despite the old stories still referred to about the cost of changing time clocks for them.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »

Hi
As I understand it ,keeping BST all year will reduce road accidents due to lighter evenings during rush hour with people returning from a days work.
edit
quote  The most recent research estimates that adopting Single/Double Summer Time would have the net effect of saving around 80 lives and 212 serious injuries a year.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/general/british-summertime-factsheet.aspx
regards Jeff
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:02:55 PM by jeffbb »
zen user
Pages: [1] 2

anything