Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG8924 and OPNsense device with single LAN Port  (Read 5612 times)

scrappydoo

• Just arrived
VMG8924 and OPNsense device with single LAN Port
« on: August 09, 2023, 03:22:55 AM »

I am in the process of replacing my ISP-provided modem/router with a dedicated modem and separate router. I have a VMG8924 which I will use as a bridge modem. As a router, I will be using a small fanless computer I’ve had for a while. The only problem is it only has two Ethernet ports (no WiFi). One, of course, will be used for WAN.

I have read the VMG bridge guide here on the site. To get line stats, it suggests connecting the router to a LAN port on the modem with a second Ethernet cable. Obviously with my setup, this won’t be possible. Is my only option to use a managed switch and create a vLAN? I apologise if this is a dumb question; my networking experience is limited.

Thanks!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: VMG8924 and OPNsense device with single LAN Port
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 06:22:54 AM »

No, as the stats side can go on the main LAN so only an unmanaged switch is required.

Modem WAN -> Router WAN
Modem LAN -> Switch
Router LAN -> Switch

Set the modem to an IP address outside the normal LAN range and set the NTP server (I can't remember how you do this) on the modem to your routers IP address, assuming you run an NTP server on it (pfSense and OPNsense do, I think OpenWRT too).  Or set the LAN gateway on the modem to the routers IP address so it can use an Internet time server.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 06:26:34 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

scrappydoo

• Just arrived
Re: VMG8924 and OPNsense device with single LAN Port
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 09:21:12 AM »

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. I’ve just placed an order for an unmanaged switch. I appreciate the advice.