Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: High packet loss on Virgin  (Read 33080 times)

kerman19

• Just arrived
Re: High packet loss on Virgin
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2020, 10:37:14 AM »

I elaborated a bit further on the Virgin Media forums regarding heavy use of UDP on these modems would cause them to fall over either way. I suspect that is why Resolver mode hurts them more than forwarder mode. Incidentally I can force these modems to fall over when I hit them with a decent amount of UDP load; for example loading up a ton of saved tabs in firefox (forcing a lot of DNS requests) from a previous day and setting up a couple of OpenVPN tunnels.

Incidentally I have a 65mbps FTTC connection and a BT FTTP 300/50 connection that I can use as well. When I use my opnsense box in it's current configuration running similar tests to those above I see absolutely zero movement on the latency, the Virgin connection is truly a crock of poo.

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »

Thanks for the info, I use Firefox and anyways have a stack of tabs open, had loads of problems with it recently, now I know why.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

adhawkins

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »

This is the user on VM forums, a graph showing when they were having the problem - ignore the large red chunk.

And this is now after changing to DNS Forwarding mode.

That's me. The first graph above shows the SH3 going offline briefly around 3:30 am, which is when it did the firmware upgrade (I checked the Hub logs the next day). The three weeks prior to that red line (which was when I had the SuperHub replaced) are like the graph to the left of around 3:30am. Everything after that is like the graph to the right.

The first thing I did was turn off the 'add DHCP leases to DNS' entry in the DNS resolver in pfsense. That improved the situtation to this:

That was a dramatic improvement, but then a few days ago I ticked the box on the DNS resolver in pfsense to make it operate in 'forwarding' mode. I'm now getting graphs more like this:

Still room for improvement, but again, much better.

I should add that the same version of pfsense was running perfectly for around 6 months before the firmware upgrades to the Super Hub 3 started rolling out in around January of this year.

To conclude, there seems to be some sort of interaction between the recent firmware update and the 'resolver' mode of the DNS resolver in pfsense. I'd love to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Andy

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2020, 02:47:02 PM »

An additional way to drop the DNS traffic load a little, is on the advanced tab of "dns resolver" settings, enable "serve expired", that is a brilliant feature.  I take pride in that I got that added to pfsense gui.  This will make DNS lookups a lot more responsive overall.  Especially for commonly used services in your household, things like twitter, facebook etc.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:49:25 PM by Chrysalis »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2020, 03:42:55 PM »

Andy, welcome to forums.

Chrysalis, I'll take a look at that option over the weekend.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2020, 08:53:43 AM »

Hi

PfSense release 2.4.5p1 is now out, this fixes issues with latency spikes on multi-core CPUs introduced on 2.4.5.

Regards

Phil

adhawkins

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

PfSense release 2.4.5p1 is now out, this fixes issues with latency spikes on multi-core CPUs introduced on 2.4.5.
I'm still on 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3, so unless that also had the issues not sure this is relevant in my case?

Andy

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »

Hi Andy

I'm still on 2.4.4-RELEASE-p3, so unless that also had the issues not sure this is relevant in my case?

We spoke about issues with 2.4.5 in this thread, so it was just an update for Ronski and anyone else interested.

Regards

Phil

adhawkins

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »

We spoke about issues with 2.4.5 in this thread, so it was just an update for Ronski and anyone else interested.
Ok. I'm seeing the same latency issues on my setup (very similar to his) which seeems to have been dramatically improved by turning off registering DHCP hosts in the DNS resolver, and turning on DNS forwarding in the resolver.

I'd prefer to go back to my original setup if possible, but I'm loathe to risk a pfsense upgrade at the moment!

Andy

chrisgtl

• Just arrived
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:45 PM »

I upgraded to 2.4.5-p1 yesterday and I still see latency spikes via BQM.

I've enabled DNS resolver forwarding mode to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Will monitor my BQM again. If other FTTP had equally good speeds i'd drop VM instantly. All my alternatives are FTTC with super turd speeds. Aaargg!

**LIVE**

Fezster

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »

Hi

Regards

Phil

Thank you. Updated and re-enabled SMP and multiple cpus.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »

I also had the issues prior to 2.4.5, but will install the update.

adhawkins

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »

I'd be interested if those installing the update are able to revert the settings back to true DNS Resolver with DHCP hosts, and still be able to get decent latency plots.

Andy

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »

I'm willing to try that, I'll update later and test it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2020, 06:11:43 AM »

I upgraded to 2.4.5-p1 yesterday and I still see latency spikes via BQM.

That's a perfect graph for VM, you're not going to get better than that, scroll up the page to see a bad graph.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17