Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL SFP Modems  (Read 3557 times)

Syst3mSh0ck

• Just arrived
VDSL SFP Modems
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:41:37 AM »

Has anyone here used one of the VDSL SFP modems like the Metanoia MT-V5311 or Proscend 180-T yet? I understand they require an SFP cage that talks SERDES not RGMII and they will not work in an SFP+ or Combo Port. I cannot seem to locate a datasheet nor a teardown revealing which DSL Line Driver or Analogue Front Ends are used. They seem to run in multimode supporting ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ and VDSL2 with G.INP and Supervectoring. There is an 'in-band management scheme' to peek/poke the EPROM using a reserved management VLAN tag and some magic in the SNAP header however details are sparse apart from the fact it exists. I might have to dump and reverse the EPROM for answers... Anyone who can offer more information on these modules is welcome! Thanks  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VDSL SFP Modems
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

In answer to your query, no, sorry. Details are difficult to find and there does not appear to be any information freely available to download.

Perhaps you could try asking Adrian Kennard (of A&A) for I seem to recall he was investigating such devices, earlier this year, around the time of the launch of the Firebrick FB2900.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL SFP Modems
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »

Your question went over my head I'm afraid.

What I can say is with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter the Proscend 180-T is almost as simple as plug and play, and works perfect.

The Proscend 180-T works with the latest Firebrick also.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything