Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXel VMG3925-B10B New Firmware  (Read 2912 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
ZyXel VMG3925-B10B New Firmware
« on: November 11, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »

Just downloaded V12 of the firmware for the 3925-B10B and it is totally different to all previous versions. A lot less of options (only had a quick look) and on firfox it seems slow and sometimes had to refresh the page to get the result to show up. Anyone else tried it ? Haven't tried telnet as I cant seem to find the toggle to make sure telnet is on.

3g backup works even shows signal strength on the 3925. :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:41:46 AM by banger »
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: ZyXel VMG3925-B10B New Firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

Yes, ZyXEL appear to be re-vamping some of their firmware, see this recent thread on 1312-B10D FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.8):

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22665.msg385907.html#msg385907

It would appear to now support Telnet/Busybox access which the previous FW revision V.5.13(AAXA.7) did not.
I took an instant dislike to the new GUI appearance and functionality although the features appeared to be the same as previous, quickly migrated back to the last FW version that supported DSLStats, V.5.13(AAXA.5)

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »

Yes it seems Zyxel are re-vamping their range with new firmware. Took me ages to find the menu option, of course it is 3 lines like chrome but didn't spot it in the top right.
Tim

Computerman142

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »

I have been playing around with the new firmware, its a bit buggy, this is what I have experienced when testing. When using the blue WAN port, the connection drops intermittently, and seems to sometimes confuse the router in some way as when devices reconnect after being in sleep or hibernate they can not access the internet or the router gui itself for about 5 minutes. They get a DHCP lease and all the connection stats look right, but I couldn't ping the router. Eventually it just started working for a little bit but then occasionally stops again. Looks the DNS times out too when the connection drops, that could be TalkTalk DNS not sure. After a while the router stops allowing you to log in through the GUI even if they are the correct credentials and will just start timing down from 5 mins before I can retry but that doesn't work after the count down either, only way is to reboot it to get it to work. Telnet login works ok though.

Tried the internet connection through DSL port just as a test see if there was an differences in sync rate in case they updated the DSL driver, nothing different there for me anyway, however the xdsl statistics details is in a small expandable box and you have expand it each time to see the stats. Internet seems to run fine through that though no dropouts. Eventually that page stops working too, just says "get unsuccessful, please try again" when attempting to retrieve stats. The wireless seems ok luckily they didn't ruin that. The main screen is slow to load information, and the navigation is too big in terms of buttons and font size, have to scroll down (if you can) to access them (edit seems to not adjust to different screen resolutions). The gui is unresponsive making you wonder is it going to respond to me clicking a button, most time I have to refresh to get it work. It has more or less the same settings from old firmware present in the new firmware its just a lot more slow, buggy and not that well tested I think. I would attach screenshots of the some of the gui but I cant get into it again, but cant reboot as internet is being used. Zyxel have taken something good and nearly ruined it. The saying why fix it if it ain't broke comes to mind.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:17:26 AM »

Can we say "Needs work"?
Tim