Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60

Author Topic: I have G.INP on ECI  (Read 231629 times)

Ktor

Re: I have G.INP on ECI
« Reply #780 on: June 08, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

As a customer, I want G.INP back on. I'll be phoning them tomorrow and kicking up a stink since G.INP obviously CAN be enabled on a per line basis, and my line was brilliant with it on.

Good luck with that - lol. You need to remember you are dealing with a monopoly who don't give a crap other than a little bit about competing with Virgin media and about trying to sell you more stuff like IPTV.  Your ISP doesn't give a crap because none of their competitors will please you either.

Did anyone else here have a problem with G.INP? Yeah Yeah it is all the fault of my Asus modem blah blah blah.

First I knew was my line which had been synced 80/20 fastpath for 3.5 years was interleaved up and down and banded to 64/20. The modem has a sort of built in DLM and was flashing telling me it had taken steps to stabilise the connection (didn't even know that was enabled). It seems like there must have been a crap load of errors and or resyncs.

Annoyingly my downstream remains interleaved 11 weeks later something which my ISP and BTOR are not going to fix because neither give a crap.

One thing I noticed looking back at modem screenshots I took at the time is the crc error rate on the 64M interleaved downstream was about 10 times higher (6 or 7 per day) than it currently is interleaved at 80M - strange.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #781 on: June 08, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

I think I know what you see here, Ktor.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #782 on: June 08, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »

I don't understand how streaming video benefits from G.INP more than say, time critical applications such as gaming. Just what exactly does streaming video gain from G.INP? You don't get a huge increase in download speed but your latency gets cut into three.

As a customer, I want G.INP back on. I'll be phoning them tomorrow and kicking up a stink since G.INP obviously CAN be enabled on a per line basis, and my line was brilliant with it on.

Indeed, this has proven they are capable of overiding behaviour for individual lines, but simply have not offered it as an option other than the DLM profiles.  We now seem to also have sub profiles which dictate whether g.inp is enabled or not.

Ktor

« Reply #783 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:32 PM »

I think I know what you see here, Ktor.
People who have not created an account and logged in don't see anything. A forum policy which makes many posts and their authors look stupid.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #784 on: June 09, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »

So long as the intended member can see it.  :P

I'm just trying to lighten your mood slightly, constantly slagging OR (My employer) with not an ounce of an idea of how they truly operate is always going to draw my attention.

They do "Give a cr5p" ......... I know cos I'm on the receiving end of umpteen team meetings, e-mails, SMS, 1-1's, breakfast huddles, conference calls ..... about how we are performing and what the expectations are.
As in ANY business, they will get it wrong sometimes .... especially a mammoth business like mine. But to say the don't give a cr5p is simply juvenile.

Ktor

« Reply #785 on: June 09, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »

I'm just trying to lighten your mood slightly, constantly slagging OR (My employer) with not an ounce of an idea of how they truly operate is always going to draw my attention.

And you really don't have an ounce of an idea of how pi**ed off some of you indirect customers are because you have deliberate policies to make sure you can't hear them. You notice 'slagging' here because you don't listen anywhere else.

You think anyone in OR is going to hear anything about Ornum's angry telephone call?

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #786 on: June 09, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »

The fact of the matter is that our contracts are with our ISP's not OR.

I am sure BT Group would love not to have OR/Wholesale/Retail but OFCOM have decided differently.

I can sympathise with folk who have had disruption due to G.Inp (I gained a little and I am now back to square one; others are square one minus). But as long as the service being provided is within contractual limits ISP's have little contractual motivation to do anything.

Competition in the market it seems to me is about low introductory prices not quality of service.

Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #787 on: June 09, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »

Now can we get back to the subject of this thread please? Thank you.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #788 on: June 09, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »

Well said, Eric.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
« Reply #789 on: June 09, 2016, 05:43:01 PM »

Whilst I cant provide any evidence to back this up I was told today that the document issued on the 21st by or basically mentioned that they were still monitoring and gathering data on lines that had been g.inp enabled on eci cabs and needed more data . It also mentioned that a further update was originally due on the 5th june but as far as he could tell this had not been issued and after making some further enquiries within "or" he could not get  any new info and he couldnt see any further statements at this time. Supposedly he did gather that lines/cabs  were still being monitored...could not find out about time scales either..
Read in to it what you will..just passing on what I was told....was amazed to get anything to be fair...

Perhaps another update might surface at some point considering the one on the 5th doesnt seem to be out ??

Ktor

« Reply #790 on: June 09, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »

Now can we get back to the subject of this thread please? Thank you.

Please I would love to hear how Ornum got on with his  "I'll be phoning them tomorrow and kicking up a stink" call. My guess is if he gets past his ISP's first line customer services it will only be because they don't understand what he is talking about.

Ornum

« Reply #791 on: June 10, 2016, 01:01:32 AM »

I haven't got round to it yet as I've been a bit busy, but I will be phoning them soon. The first thing I plan to ask is, do you know what G.INP is? When they say no I will demand to be escalated to someone who does. Whether or not it will work I don't know, but I will be making it clear that I'm not phoning for customer support, I'm phoning to make a complaint. People usually listen when a. You're paying a bill, b. Looking to buy or c. Making a complaint. Actually if you ever need any kind of support, screw tech support and phone the sales and payments number and act as if you think you phoned tech support. You would be surprised how often this works and gets you put through to someone in Britian who actually knows what they're doing. The other trick is to call as a potential customer with you pre-purchase tech questions (even if you're already a customer).

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #792 on: June 10, 2016, 07:34:43 AM »

You might be wise to ask if the call-centre advisor knows what re-transmission is, as well as G.INP. Depends who you talk to as to how they refer to it ?.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #793 on: June 10, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »

The two people I spoke to at BT support didn't understand G.INP or re-transmission.  ???

When I said I would like G.INP re-enabling on my line cos I have BT TV and it's believed to be BT's policy not to disable it on such lines. The operator grasped that and quickly said "so it's a TV fault I'll transfer you to TV support".

My shouts of NO were not heard --- I now have a unspecified open fault on my TV service.    :no:

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #794 on: June 10, 2016, 07:33:25 PM »

Without actually trying to upset any more people:

I received another call from BT (Caller ID: 0800 3289393), the lady offered me a better deal on my BT broadband. Either £17 a month with a 1 year contract, or £14 a month with 2 year contract - both for BT Infinity 2, unlimited. Line rental is not included.

I signed up to the £14 a month deal. This makes the cost of BT TV with UHD almost negligible.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:39:55 PM by underzone »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60

anything