Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New FTTC cabinet has appeared!  (Read 3782 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
New FTTC cabinet has appeared!
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »

Hi,

A new FTTC cabinet has made an appearance at the end of my road. I attach 2 pictures.

The FTTC cabinets are about 20-30 feet away from the original POTS cabinet. Unless I'm mistaken the original FTTC cabinet was Huaweii and the new one is an ECI.

My broadband has been knocked out (again !) and, my synch speed has been steadily dropping since the new cabinet went operational about 10 days ago. Eventually I lost all DSL signal last Saturday.   I've just had an OR engineer visit today, and it seems that the original HG612 modem is u/s. So potentially my loss of broadband is purely coincidental to the introduction of the new FTTC cabinet.

The engineer originally installed an ECI modem which synched slightly higher than the old HG612, but he also had a new HG612 in the van so I asked him to install that as the permanent replacement.

Anyway, the point of this post is to satisfy my curiosity. Why have OR installed a second cabinet so soon after the first? This is not a highly built up area so I would be very surprised if they have run out of capacity already.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New FTTC cabinet has appeared!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »

I agree that the bigger FTTC appears to a Huawei and the smaller FTTC appears to be an ECI . . .

Why? I have absolutely no idea.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »

Oh, so I've got it wrong?

I thought the small (and original) cabinet was a Huawei 128. I've been connected to that cabinet from day 1 with a HG612.

If it is an ECI cabinet it might explain why the OR engineer got a faster synch speed when he initially tried swapping the faulty HG612 with an ECI.

Looks like I should have asked him to leave the ECI modem as the replacement rather than a new HG.

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »

The smaller one is definitely a Huawei 128  :)

Your last post suggests the smaller one was in place first. If so, I'm guessing Openreach expect a fair amount of users for them to add a 256 Huawei cab!

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

Thanks for the clarification biohead.

As I said in a previous post I'm located in an area where the housing density is relatively low (approx <3 properties per acre) so they must be expecting a fair old increase in demand!  Thats why I was curious why OR have installed another cabinet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »

:-[  b*cat has had a moment of brain-fade. I should have checked before typing, as both are Huawei cabinets!

Attached below is an image of an ECI cabinet. Notice the significant number of ventilation louvres on the front door.

(Thank you Walter for providing the image.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.