Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Vectoring trials  (Read 7107 times)

c6em

• Reg Member
BT Vectoring trials
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »

According to a post on Plusnet's board's from a staff member BT have selected the following cabinets for the trial.
Cabinets 12, 39 and 74 in Braintree, Essex, and Cabinets 26, 41 and 42 in Barnet, to be the trial sites.
All users in the relevant cabinets will be upgraded to the 80Mbps service and some may need new modems.

Hopefully at least one poster active on plusnet/TBB/BT forums or maybe even here will be on the trial to post some comments/feedback

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: BT Vectoring trials
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:14:59 PM »

According to a post on Plusnet's board's from a staff member BT have selected the following cabinets for the trial.
Cabinets 12, 39 and 74 in Braintree, Essex, and Cabinets 26, 41 and 42 in Barnet, to be the trial sites.
All users in the relevant cabinets will be upgraded to the 80Mbps service and some may need new modems.

Hopefully at least one poster active on plusnet/TBB/BT forums or maybe even here will be on the trial to post some comments/feedback

so only 2 areas, not much of a spread and are both areas HG?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

There is no need to have a 'great spread' though. These six cabinets have probably been chosen carefully by the 'Chief Engineers Office'. I would think six different cabinets worth of test data, is enough to draw conclusive results.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »

I imagine they're all Huawei DSLAM's, not a mix of both ECI and Huawei. Any info on that?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »

There is no need to have a 'great spread' though. These six cabinets have probably been chosen carefully by the 'Chief Engineers Office'. I would think six different cabinets worth of test data, is enough to draw conclusive results.  :)
BS, I think the CEngO will already have access to more than enough data to draw conclusive results about Vectoring as a technology.  Surely this is more about trialing the practicalities? ;) A cynic might also observe that Braintree and Barnet do not particularly represent the wider UK.  However, I accept you have to start somewhere, and convenience is not unimportant.

Although I perfectly understand and actually sympathise with BT's position as a commercial entitity (not of it's own making), it is understandable that informed 'consumers' will have anxieties about the implications of BT's past (perhaps short-term) commercial decisions.  It would serve BT well if it responded positively by explaining the extent to which this trial will or will not address their concerns.
[Edi] For example, of all the potential variables relating to the rolling out of Vectoring in the future, which of those will the trial actually address, and what 'success'criteria have been established beforehand in order to judge the success or otherwise of the trial?  Or is all that 'commercially sensitive'?  :-X
 :friends:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:50:08 PM by ColinS »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

BS, I think the CEngO will already have access to more than enough data to draw conclusive results about Vectoring as a technology.  Surely this is more about trialing the practicalities? ;) A cynic might also observe that Braintree and Barnet do not particularly represent the wider UK.  However, I accept you have to start somewhere, and convenience is not unimportant.

Although I perfectly understand and actually sympathise with BT's position as a commercial entitity (not of it's own making), it is understandable that informed 'consumers' will have anxieties about the implications of BT's past (perhaps short-term) commercial decisions.  It would serve BT well if it responded positively by explaining the extent to which this trial will or will not address their concerns.

Obviously this is a real-life trial, Colin. I'm not saying otherwise ??
My point is that it doesn't really matter where you are in the UK (barring extreme examples), the trial is about eliminating cross-talk. I would suggest the Cabinets chosen for the trial are probably at, or near saturation point, and contain varying length of circuits up to the upper limits ?? I'm positive six carefully considered Cabinets (possibly rife with low speed complaints linked to X-Talk), will be suffice to determine results. Be that practicality (in the form of circuit performance), and also financially ?

Regarding their intentions around trial 'announcements'. I wouldn't hold your breath, Colin. They won't make bold comments until proven 100%.

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

My point is that it doesn't really matter where you are in the UK (barring extreme examples), the trial is about eliminating cross-talk. I would suggest the Cabinets chosen for the trial are probably at, or near saturation point, and contain varying length of circuits up to the upper limits ?? I'm positive six carefully considered Cabinets (possibly rife with low speed complaints linked to X-Talk), will be suffice to determine results. Be that practicality (in the form of circuit performance), and also financially ?
Sure.  I agree.  But my point about that is that they already know the answer to that (eliminating crosstalk).  I would have thought myself it was more to do with the practicalities of implementing it (at the cabinets and the CPEs) and other important issues, like cost, as you suggest, and EU/ISP/BTOR 'understanding'. ;)

I also agree with your view on their 'announcements', but they don't do themselves any favours then, do they?  (Not that they're the only ones who behave like that by any means!).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:00:15 PM by ColinS »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

A cynic might also observe that Braintree and Barnet do not particularly represent the wider UK.  However, I accept you have to start somewhere, and convenience is not unimportant.

I could have suggested an ideal testing location where connections now seems to be struggling with crosstalk.

One user in the area even has hundreds of megabytes of data demonstrating the decline & would have been able to demonstrate the succes (or otherwise) of vectoring - provided an unlocked HG612 was up to the job  ;)

I believe that same user would have also been willing to write a short paper on the topic  :lol: :lol:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »

Aha, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood your initial input. TBH, I was only trying to make the point that this 'trial' doesn't require a large spread, as questioned by our friend, Chrysallis. Your own subsequent postings back up my theory. 'They' already know it works, 'they' need to work out the costings of implementation.  :)   

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »

A cynic might also observe that Braintree and Barnet do not particularly represent the wider UK.  However, I accept you have to start somewhere, and convenience is not unimportant.

I could have suggested an ideal testing location where connections now seems to be struggling with crosstalk.

One user in the area even has hundreds of megabytes of data demonstrating the decline & would have been able to demonstrate the succes (or otherwise) of vectoring - provided an unlocked HG612 was up to the job  ;)

I believe that same user would have also been willing to write a short paper on the topic  :lol: :lol:

Hmmm ?? Who could that individual be ???  ::) ;D

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »

[One user in the area ... would have been able to demonstrate the success (or otherwise) of vectoring - provided an unlocked HG612 was up to the job  ;)
I suspect that's what they might be afraid of! :lol:    But joking aside, Vectoring will do what it sets out to do, within it's known constraints.  The other issues being raised here are not as much to do with the technology per se (as perhaps you would be happy to trial!), but rather practicalities, like 'have I got the 'wrong' kit in my FTTC cabinet?' and will that make it cost ineffective for BTOR to provide it to me?

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »

Aha, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood your initial input. TBH, I was only trying to make the point that this 'trial' doesn't require a large spread, as questioned by our friend, Chrysallis. Your own subsequent postings back up my theory. 'They' already know it works, 'they' need to work out the costings of implementation.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »

Well, lets just hope that both Huawei and ECI are being trialled. It would suck for those on ECI to find that BT have no plans to consider changing/upgrading ECI cabinets which are near their full capacity.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »

@ Ixel,

Unless perhaps BT dream that the taxpayers will cough up almost immediately for full P2P FTTH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind regards,
Walteer

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »

I think there is a big need for a big spread, BTs cabling isnt consistent.  People in different areas get wildly different sync speeds.  eg. 10db loop loss in one area can be 100 attainable in another area it can be 50 attainable.

At the very least they should cover both vendors.  If it were me I would be doing 2 area's in each major city (one for each vendor).  Plus some random rural areas thrown in.

when you put that way it makes sense.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:46:15 AM by Chrysalis »

anything